Talk

Advanced search

I think my PC is gasping its last ...

(6 Posts)
roisin Mon 31-Jan-05 18:23:58

My hard drive keeps making an infernal racket, wheezing, spluttering, then going ominously quiet ... then starting up again. Is there some kind of a motor to a fan in there or something? (Sorry I am completely ignorant about this sort of thing!)

The PC is 5 yrs old I think, so doesn't owe us anything. The TV died today as well - there must be something in the air!? I suggested we should try doing without one for a few weeks, but was outvoted.

Anyway, if I disappear abruptly for a while, you will understand why!

JanH Mon 31-Jan-05 18:31:01

There is a fan, roisin - which presumably has a motor to drive it - does it sound sort of mechanical or is it sort of loud-whirring-disc-drivey noise?

Sorry, that doesn't help much! Hope you don't disappear.......................................

roisin Mon 31-Jan-05 18:38:44

I think it's probably the drive; it has been struggling for a while, and getting extremely slow. I hate just chucking stuff out, but tbh I can't be bothered to sort it out, and I'm sure it's not worth spending any money on it. There may be some company in town that 'does things' with old computers ... I'll investigate!

In the meantime am urgently copying/archiving anything I think I might miss

JanH Mon 31-Jan-05 19:48:41

Well when you get a new one you will be staggered at the difference - I almost envy you, having this one die on you and discovering a whole new world

There are companies which recycle old PCs although I think they are aimed at businesses and tend to charge for taking them away. Here is one - will see if I can find one a bit nearer to you! (Or you could take a trip to Castleford and have a go in the snow at Xscape while you're there...)

JanH Mon 31-Jan-05 19:56:31

Oooh, this looks good - ComputerAid want old PCs for Third World schools.

Minimum requirement:

Pentium II Processor rated at 233 Mhz upwards
Celeron processor 266 Mhz and above.
AMD K6 Processor 300MHz and above.

If you are not sure check for the Intel Pentium II logo or any Celeron logo. Unless modified most systems running Windows 98 Second Edition will be acceptable.
Wherever possible cabinet fittings should be unlocked and bios/hard disk passwords disabled.>>

They want peripherals too. Any use?

roisin Tue 01-Feb-05 18:13:47

Thanks Jan ... PC is sounding happier today

But I've made a note of that charity for future reference - sounds great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now