Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or is Build a Bear a bit...well....

(34 Posts)
Clary Mon 30-Jun-08 00:32:45

Icky? And expensive?

DD got a very generous (I thought) gift from two pals of £20 to spend there. We got there at opening time and there was a queue (including some 20-odd yr olds, most bizarre).

DD chose the cheapest bear in the shop (she happened to like it best) and added a voice saying "let's go shawpping" in lovely American accent.

Then she chose perhaps the least hideous little outfit for it - and shoes? No, they were £6 <gasp> and we only had budget for socks.

So one teddy cost £19.50! Lucky she didn't like the pink leopard <barf> at £18 unvoiced.

wtf? I was not impressed (DS2: "You look sad mummy" as I gazed in horror at teddy's outfit options) but also could not believe the prices.

There is No Way I would have done this if it hadn't been a b/day pressie. And yet DD loves her now bear so much she hasn't put it down all day. Mind you I've seen the same effect with a home-made rag doll. Only time will tell if it has Staying Power.

(Sigh. late-night rant over)

Clary Mon 30-Jun-08 09:20:14

hah! morning bump for my rant?

Othersideofthechannel Mon 30-Jun-08 09:36:37

I agree with you Clary..

DCs were experienced Build a Bear when we were on hols in the US. Their US cousins wanted to give them that for their birthday.
I would have really resented paying for it myself.

Nearly 1 year on, DS plays with his alot. DD ignores hers.

2sugars Mon 30-Jun-08 09:38:20

Don't let on about the website then wink

MrsTittleMouse Mon 30-Jun-08 09:39:05

Wow, that's expensive!!!

ShowOfHands Mon 30-Jun-08 09:40:21

The concept is weird. Animal carcasses strewn about the place? A re-animation process? It's zombies for the young. And they charge you for it. Sheesh.

snowleopard Mon 30-Jun-08 09:45:28

It is very freaky. I let DS go in to our local one (an't remember if it's actually called build a bear, but same concept) when we walk past, but I would not buy one - I'm aghast at how expensive and naff they are. In fact it makes me have a profound "state of the world" moment when I see all the little shoes made for teddy bears and think about what poor bugger had to make them and how shoes for bears is something our planet really does not need. <stern>

DS likes to play with the little battery-powered beating hearts that you can get to put in them. Creepy! He also likes to hang around in the hope that we'll see the giant stuffing machine in use. It really is a bizarre place.

jellyhead Mon 30-Jun-08 09:54:31

It is a rip off.

DD went to a birthday party there and made a lovely bear but when she dragged me back in to buy some clothes they were more expensive than mine.

BexieID Mon 30-Jun-08 14:16:41

I went 2 weeks ago with Tom to use up a giftcard I had for xmas. Picked up a wagging tailed dog, Tom loved the stuffing machine, kissed the heart, fluffed him up (dog, not Tom, lol) and picked a name for him (Wagz). Went to pay and I couldn't find the giftcard! So, had to pay £15, rather than the £5 I though i'd be spending!

I've got 6 that i've bought myself. Tom actually doesn't like the cuddlies with clothes on, lol.

shhhh Mon 30-Jun-08 22:03:02

dd was bought one and without sounding ungrateful I find it so ugly and tacky..I have no idea how much it cost and only from this thread do I know they are expensive shock but tbh it doesn't look like its worth that...hmm

Doesn't feel plush etc

jellybeans Mon 30-Jun-08 22:08:44

I love build a bear! DD had a party there and has 3 bears and my other DC have them too, they all loved 'making' them. They love them and I think they are cute and not really that expensive for the bears, you don't have to buy the clothes or can just get a t shirt.

Hulababy Mon 30-Jun-08 22:11:28

I agree Clary - over priced definitely!

DD has a dog from The Bear Factory, she got it when first born. I have refused to buy clthes for it as so expensive for what they are.

madcol Mon 30-Jun-08 22:16:19

They are nice presents though. My DS and all his cousins love their soft toys becuase they were created just for them and they saw them ' being born' . sorry about that ( sicky and sentimental) but that's what they say.

Clary Tue 01-Jul-08 00:29:22

I hear you about them "being born"...

But I still think £8-£18 is expensive for a stuffed toy.

DD has many stuffed toys, various, but I bet the total cost is less than the Build-a-Bear.

And why did someone keep shouting "stuff that bear!" while we were there?????

How much must it cost btw to have a party? I'm guessing the price of a bear each at least <faints>

jellybeans Tue 01-Jul-08 10:21:33

Yes the party is the cost of the bear/clothes. We allowed £15 each but only had 6 kids, couldn't afford anymore! (Had to go get food after also)

Hulababy Tue 01-Jul-08 20:46:32

And oresumably that £15 a head doesn't include food or drink either.

Clary Fri 04-Jul-08 01:15:09

No I take it you have to have food elsewhere (ie at home? in a cafe?)

Still I guess party bags are not needed, what with the £15 bear and all!

stookie Fri 04-Jul-08 15:39:13

I was given a bear from Build a bear, with the message on the heart or something hidden inside. My dog now has a romantic involvement with it... so tey are good for something grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 04-Jul-08 15:56:05

dd loves her build-a-bear creature - shes had it for years. I'd really like to make it clothes but can't find a pattern and am rubbish at inventing patterns.

Prufrock Fri 04-Jul-08 16:05:51

We did a teddy bear party for dd (6) this year and she and all her friends absolutely loved it. We got the bears from here and got T-shirts that the kids could decorate themsleves . We started with a bear hunt - we hid the skins in the garden, then made the bears/recorded the messages/drew on T-shirts, and then had a pass the parcel with the prize being the free outfit, and thenhad a picnic in the garden with the bears sat by their owners sides. And after we had sung happy birthday to dd, we all sang happy birthday to the teddies. It was really great, easy to organise and not ridiculously expensive compared to some options

FrannyandZooey Fri 04-Jul-08 16:06:48

it's tacky, isn't it?
ds loves it

Polgara2 Fri 04-Jul-08 16:36:44

Unbelievable expensive - unbelievable popular! DD's absolutely love theirs (and I mean a lot!) so am resolved to it now.

Bridie3 Fri 04-Jul-08 16:39:23

I'm afraid my daughter is a huge fan and her bear goes everywhere with us. The clothes do not thrill me. I am trying to persuade my mother to run her up some on her sewing machine

mamablue Fri 04-Jul-08 16:54:15

My DDs love it. They have about 5 or 6 each and use birthday money for clothes. They spend hours playing schools with them and dressing and undressing them together. We have been to a few parties there and DDs love them. They are expensive but no more than some other toys. Ours seem very well made and have lasted for lots of cuddles.

TotalChaos Fri 04-Jul-08 16:56:49

v. v. expensive. And DS isn't even that fussed about his bear, despite shelling out a fiver on a personalised greeting from me!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now