Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone own a Diane von Furstenburg dress?

(20 Posts)
lulupop Sat 29-Jan-05 18:02:55

and if so, please can you tell me, are they really worth the money?

I imagine the luxurious silk jersey that they're made of drapes a lot better (and more flatteringly) than the thin cotton jersey of the high street rip-offs which I own. I haven't allowed myself to try a DVF on yet, mainly because I don't trust myself not to go mad with my credit card if it looks good!

But it's my birthday soon, and also my best friend is getting married in May, and I'm thinking that perhaps I could justify the price by combining the birthday budget with the new-wedding-outfit budget... and then adding a bit.

Someone tell me, are they worth the money?

milkbar Sat 29-Jan-05 18:21:28

lulupop, go for it - I've got one and it is my fave item of clothing. I think it's worth it, exactly as you say, because of the fabric. I only have one and will never be able to afford another one, but for special occasions they make you feel a million dollars because they are so feminine and flattering. I have tried on all the high st rip offs and they just don't do the trick - mainly because of the material.

bluesky Sat 29-Jan-05 18:31:39

lulupop, look on ebay

Moomina Sat 29-Jan-05 18:34:48

Ebay always has loads. I'd love one but can't stretch even to ebay prices, unfortunately. But they're soooo flattering so for a special occasion I'd say, get bidding

soapbox Sat 29-Jan-05 18:36:15

you could look in the net a porter sale!!!

soapbox Sat 29-Jan-05 18:39:29

or try second hand at the clothes agency

lulupop Sat 29-Jan-05 22:13:09

I have been looking on ebay for a while, but the only ones I've seen have been either wrong size or not a good colour for me!

The one I like is in a local boutique and is a bit like this one , except "my" one hasn't got the strange cummerbund thing, and has 3/4 sleeves instead. Same fabric though. I may have to go and try it on on Monday morning. Perhaps having the kids with me will force me to leave the shop without actually buying it...

PuffTheMagicDragon Sat 29-Jan-05 22:22:11

That looks lovely lulupop.

I love silk jersey - need to be considerably thinner before I can wear it again. I have a black silk jersey evening dress (not DVF) and always felt a million dollars in it. It coos at me from my wardrobe every now and then!

I think you should treat yourself .

pinotgrigio Sat 29-Jan-05 23:04:51

That dress is gorgeous!! I would kill to get a chance to wear something so lovely. If you do buy it (and I think you should) what about shoes/bag/jewellery. Do you have matching/suitable things already or will you need to budget more?

Satine Sat 29-Jan-05 23:30:33

Milkbar - does your DVF dress wash well? Or is it dry clean only? If it is a wrap dress, does it stay closed or do you have to hang on to it in a stiff breeze for fear of exposing your Bridget Jones pants?! (not, ahem, that I am suggesting you wear them, of course - more from my own experience)

lulupop Sun 30-Jan-05 08:14:37

PinGrig, errrmm, I think that a dress of such high class would require some new shoes, possibly also a new bag?

But then Designers at Debenhams do good accessories so perhaps I can go cheap on that front...

pinotgrigio Sun 30-Jan-05 08:23:54

LP - Go for it! Sell the cat & report back later. I want to hear all about the new LV bag, Bruno Magli shoes and DVF dress!

lulupop Sun 30-Jan-05 10:00:51

I did see a different DVF dress on Ner-A-Porter, which they recommended teaming with "Bottega Veneta bracelets, Jimmy Choo shoes, Balenciaga bag"

I may have to sell more than the cat to justify those accessories, but have decided I'm getting the dress. Am bribing myself by not trying it on till I've lost the 2kgs put on over Christmas.

pinotgrigio Sun 30-Jan-05 20:58:47

Get the dress and get cheap bag/shoes (well, everything is cheap in comparison, but I'm trying to say that you don't need £600 shoes & handbags) - I lived in Milan for a while and everybody thought all the clothes I wore from then on were super posh designer purely because I bought one or two good things & clothes from Italy are so chic. In reality I bought lots from the local Italian supermarket. As long as the stuff you get isn't really plastic, the DVF dress will make them look expensive. I'm dead Jealous - want DVF dress & an opportunity to wear one!!!

lowcalCOD Sun 30-Jan-05 21:06:52

boden do one cheapo

lulupop Sun 30-Jan-05 22:09:59

yes, I like the boden one but none of the colours they're doing it in really suit me, and also they're plain and not patterned, and i think for a wedding maybe patterned is more special.

am going to visit the local shop with dvf dresses and caress one longingly tomorrow, to see if the fabric is luxurious enough . Then I will set to work justifying it to dh. Not that he notices what I wear anyway.

ChicPea Sun 30-Jan-05 22:35:42

I am a big fan of her silk wrap dresses and have been so for the past 6 years. Have a few and find them very easy to wear whether to the office or to the theatre/dinner. They are expensive but as long as you choose a print you love you will get lots of wear. I dry clean mine.

lulupop Wed 02-Feb-05 13:05:16

I have had a result, as I went into the local posh shop and tried on a load of stuff, including the DvF wrap dress. It looked lovely, but not as lovely as a different DvF dress, which wasn't a wrap style. The one I got is knee length, with short sleeves and a V neck, very flirty shape, and incredibly flattering. Not only does silk jersey disguise all the wobbly tmmy bits, it actually makes you look thin!

AND it was reduced to £120, which is £30 cheaper than the silk jersey DvF knock-offs that LK Bennett is doing this Spring. Result.

Of course, rather like wearing cashmere, once you've had one of these dresses on, suddenly Top Shop is never going to be quite as pleasing again. Better get onto ebay to flog some more stuff!

lulupop Wed 02-Feb-05 13:05:51

and also I felt obliged to buy the dress as DD puked all over the lady in there!

pinotgrigio Wed 02-Feb-05 15:19:51

Yay! What a result. Congratulations on your new DVF.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now