Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

top and tail bowl...

(105 Posts)
starlover Thu 27-Jan-05 11:52:57

Do I need one?????
The hospital booklet I have says that I should bring one with me when I have the baby... but they're SO big! I mean, how much water do I really need for cleaning my little person?

I know they aren't particularly expensive or anything, so it isn't really that big a deal if I never use it... but i'd rather cut down on the unnecessary clutter if I can!

nailpolish Thu 27-Jan-05 11:54:34

nah, you can use a wee bowl. you only need a inch of water and a few cotton buds for a top and tail, IMO

Mothernature Thu 27-Jan-05 11:54:47

Just use two small plastic containers and mark them top'n'tail...

nailpolish Thu 27-Jan-05 11:54:54

cotton BALLS i mean

bundle Thu 27-Jan-05 11:55:07

i used one of those cleaned out summer pudding bowls

EnlightenedFlum Thu 27-Jan-05 11:55:10

No you don't need one. You can just use one of those kidney bowls the hospitals have. Or just a cup of water and some cotton wool.

Have only ever used ours for storing bath toys in.

Washed baby in sink for first few months. V. practical and non-back breaking.

suzywong Thu 27-Jan-05 11:55:57

use a tupperware sandwich box or something
That's a bit much asking you to get one specially, as if you didn't have enough to get

Hello NP

nailpolish Thu 27-Jan-05 11:55:58

why do you need 2? just use 1 and start washing at the top and finish at the tail. as long as you wash the bowl properly, surely?

Pamina3 Thu 27-Jan-05 11:56:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nailpolish Thu 27-Jan-05 11:56:39

hi suzy.

LIZS Thu 27-Jan-05 11:57:18

Take a couple of empty margarine tubs or similar. I think I had a couple of disposable bowls provided with ds - cutbacks I suppose !!

starlover Thu 27-Jan-05 11:58:58

excellent! just what I thought!
My mum has a vast array of tupperware so I shall be sneaking round later to pinch a couple of little bowls!

Poshpaws Thu 27-Jan-05 11:59:14

Like the others, i had one of those. used it about twice.

No need to buy one, i say.

colditzmum Thu 27-Jan-05 11:59:51

What a load of crap, can't believe they expekt you to buy a special bowl. We used cups! And that was only 21 months ago!

scotlou Thu 27-Jan-05 12:04:24

I can't believe you've got to take in bowls to wash them! When I had my kids in Stirling they provided nappies, gowns for the baby, cotton wool and a basin to bath the baby and 2 small bowls to top and tail! When my son was born he had really dry skin and a large tube of cream was immediately given to me which I could take him - lasted ages! Basically, we were told to take nothing for the baby and just take our own stuff. I did take in sleepsuits for my son as he was so cold and they didn't have many - buit for my dd just used the hospital gowns (she was born late August so it was really hot!) Great as it meant there was no dirty washing to take home!

iota Thu 27-Jan-05 12:05:04

mine came in a set with the baby bath - leaving gift from work.

I did use it a lot - used to carry it into baby's room - it was a lot more stable than a bowl. Agree with the others, that a tupperware box would be as good though

starlover Thu 27-Jan-05 12:07:49

ooh scotlou.. maybe I should travel up to scotland ready for the birth!

I am supposed to take clothes, cotton wool, nappies, wipes and the bowl.
I actually have 2 bags now, one for me and one for baby!

Having said that, they do provide cotton bottoms nappies for you to use, but if you want disposables you have to bring your own.

Bozza Thu 27-Jan-05 12:11:55

When I had DS the hospital actually gave me one in the newborn set - along with one nappy, five cotton wool balls, some of that cord stump powder and a small tube of vaseline equivalent. It wasn't like the ones you see for sale in Mothercare though. It was a clear single bowl. Because DD was born at home I didn't get any of this stuff but re-used the one from DS for doing her.

I certainly wouldn't take any sort of a bowl into hospital - you need enough stuff. My sister was due last Tuesday and she showed me her hospital bags (4 of them) and the stuff she has got! Mind you I did suggest she take her hair straighteners out.

Kelly1978 Thu 27-Jan-05 12:16:45

I had one of those top and tail bowls and it was very handy - I used one side for water and the other for the cotton wool, toiletries etc. The soap tray I used for putting the dirty cotton wool balls on!
I agree, there is no need for two lots of water as long as you start at the top.

charlie01 Thu 27-Jan-05 12:17:05

I took my hair straightners! Funnily enough didn't use them...

iota Thu 27-Jan-05 12:17:59

Kelly- that's exactly how I used mine

nailpolish Thu 27-Jan-05 12:18:30

lol charlie

vict17 Thu 27-Jan-05 12:25:01

I can't believe they're asking you to bring that in either! When in hospital (for only 2 nights anyway) ds was only bathed once, and that was in the sink and because a midwife was at a loose end so offered to show me how to bath the baby. When they are that small they don't need much washing, just wiping.

vict17 Thu 27-Jan-05 12:25:33

charlie - I took in eyeliner, mascara etc and of course never used them!!

starlover Thu 27-Jan-05 12:28:25

hmmm... well taking a slightly different tack...
what was the one thing you packed that you were most glad of?
or, what do you wish you had taken that you didn't?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now