Talk

Advanced search

Best baby carrier for a newborn?

(25 Posts)
aiti72 Thu 19-Jun-08 18:42:28

I know this has been asked a million times but I got lost in the archives... Could someone please recommend a newborn baby carrier/sling that is easy to use, is not too hot in the summer and doesn't look hippy (i.e. I don't end up wrapped up like a pressie). We have a baby bjorn but never used it with DD1, it was too hot and I felt poor DD1 would suffocate against my huge breastsblush. Any advice welcome.

ilovemydog Thu 19-Jun-08 18:43:51

wilkinet. Is this hippy?

theSuburbanDryad Thu 19-Jun-08 18:45:41

We loved the Premaxx Baby Bag

I found I could bf comfortably in it and dh liked wearing it as he felt quite masculine in it. I still like a wrap and will be borrowing my friend's Didymos for this baby!

DisplacementActivity Thu 19-Jun-08 18:53:50

Message withdrawn

ilovemydog Thu 19-Jun-08 19:08:57

HATED the Ergo, although only tried it as a back carrier, and not as a front carrier.

The Wilkinet does take some getting used to, but it's worked for me and both DCs. Think it's like marmite - people either LOVE it or HATE it smile

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Thu 19-Jun-08 21:24:42

mei tai or wrap carrier or the right ring sling. avoid the 'bag' type slings. there have been some horrendous reviews/research here

theSuburbanDryad Thu 19-Jun-08 21:27:15

omg mrsleroy - i've never seen that! ds alwqays seemed fine in ours, but there's no way i'll be using it with dc2 now!

thanks for the link!

cmotdibbler Thu 19-Jun-08 21:27:36

A ring sling is very easy to use, lightweight, and you don't get wrapped up in it.

Join the UKBabywearingSwap Yahoo group and buy one second hand - then if you don't like it, you can sell it on again for much what you paid for it.

aiti72 Thu 19-Jun-08 21:34:56

Premaxx looks simple enough for me to manage with, it's just that when checking used ones for sale they all say "hardly ever used" -not good, reallygrin.

Thinkstoomuch Thu 19-Jun-08 21:38:55

Love love LOVE my Hug-a-Bub. Very comfortable and easy to get on once you've had a few goes. We've used it with DS since week 1 and he is pretty much guaranteed to sleep in it. My norks aren't big though (and neither are DH's!), but baby's head is held quite high up the chest so probably wouldn't be a problem.

smellyeli Thu 19-Jun-08 21:57:34

I'm loving my Bushbaby cocoon - my DD has been comfortable in it from birth (and I have size 36DD norks....before BF'ing that is - sorry, maybe TMI) It has a little pod thing that attaches to a harness, and you can put the pod in the car seat and then clip on to the harness when you get to where you're goin, or take the pod off when they're asleep and put them down in the cot. DH likes it too. ('doesn't look too hippy') I bought it new online - £40 I think - and it's my most used piece of kit (after nappies, obviously. And wipes. And sleepsuits.) Well - my most used piece of hardware,IYKWIM.

canard Mon 11-Aug-08 07:50:12

DisplacementActivity - that's a bit harsh!

The Wilkinet is an awsome sling - incredibly easy to use (beats Bjorn on every front). It's like laces...takes a bit of time to learn the method but then you get a much better fit than buckle/slip on shoes. Works the same with he Wilkinet.

If you want a modern 'look' (without the overheating from a wrap) - but still want the comfort and versatility of an alternative sling - then Wilkinet is the way to go.

If you're buying new the manufacturers website ( www.wilkinet.co.uk ) offers a 4 mont return policy - or there are usually second hand ones going on ebay (or the sway shop website mentioned above).

ChirpyGirl Mon 11-Aug-08 07:58:01

Wilkinet is good, very comfy and only carrier dh has ever used, but if you don't get on with tying and straps a ring sling is great, plus a lot faster on and off! (imo!)

domesticslattern Mon 11-Aug-08 08:34:04

wilkinet to eight months then an ergo

i found it quicker to put on a wilkinet than to put her in the pushchair- honestly

youcannotbeserious Mon 11-Aug-08 08:36:39

Sorry, I agree with displacementactivity.

Didn't get on with the Wilkinet at all,,, but love the Baby Bjorn. I walk 6 miles daily with it and DS loves it.

Do agree with Domesticslattern - I find taking the carrier easier and less time consuming than the pram. (and DS prefers it!)

2point4kids Mon 11-Aug-08 08:38:30

I have had a peanut shell since DS1 was little and am still using it now DS2 is 6 months (and will be for a wile longer!). Its brilliant, cant fault it.
I have used it most days for nearly 3 years, so probably one of my best baby buys smile

YumeeMumee Mon 11-Aug-08 11:42:38

I loved our Baby Bjorn - but I don't have huge boobs grin It worked really well for us and DS loved it too...was very comfy in it and loved it even more when he could face out! It was really easy to use too - more so than a lot of others I've seen friends use - I could do it one handed quite easily.

hanaflower Mon 11-Aug-08 11:49:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

accessorizequeen Mon 11-Aug-08 20:28:53

I think it just shows that slings and carriers a very personal choice. I absolutely hate my bb but clearly it's the world's top selling carrier! aiti, would suggest if you're serious about 'babywearing' (snigger) to hire a couple that you like the look of from the likes of slingjax. Or try the Yahoo Babywearing Swap group where you can get loads of different types (some of them absolutely gorgeous!) 2nd hand.

EssieW Mon 11-Aug-08 20:31:32

Loved the Kari-me and Wilkinet for newborn. Wilkinet was especially good as it can be adjusted while baby sleeps. Carried DS on lots of SW Coast Path in Wilkinet and wasn't uncomfortable at all

EssieW Mon 11-Aug-08 20:31:42

Loved the Kari-me and Wilkinet for newborn. Wilkinet was especially good as it can be adjusted while baby sleeps. Carried DS on lots of SW Coast Path in Wilkinet and wasn't uncomfortable at all

EssieW Mon 11-Aug-08 20:31:48

AccidentalMum Tue 12-Aug-08 19:13:47

A Cwshti Evo would be lovely for a newborn, also a Connecta Baby Carrier. Both could take you to toddlerhood.
x

canard Wed 13-Aug-08 16:57:48

hanaflower - I've heard a lot of concern about about BB (and any clip carrier like it) and the pressure it puts on the baby's pelvis area.

Wraparound slings like the ones you mentioned support under the baby's thighs (rather than middle of crotch). The Wilkinet does the same thing too - the padded strap goes under their legs - so they're sitting in a natural sitting position.

deeeja Wed 13-Aug-08 17:13:51

The ellaroo ring sling, and the ERGO are fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now