Talk

Advanced search

Double Buggy Dilemma

(45 Posts)
BeckieB Wed 18-Jun-08 21:51:15

Need some advice on double buggy. Is it best to go side-to-side or a la Phil and Ted's. Really would like newborn to lie flat and not sure if this is possible with a side-to-side. Equally not that enamoured with idea of one in back of Phil and Ted's not being able to see infront of them. Mind-blowing decisions........ Anyone got the definitive answer?!

shhhh Wed 18-Jun-08 22:22:59

We used the duet lite which has one if front of the other. TBH we had the same dilema and decided this was the best option as the side by side ones were quite bulky and not all doorways could accomodate iykwim.

At least which one in front of the other you knew you could fit in through a door.

IMO all twin prams are bulky and heavy to push.

If you wanted one for the new born to lie totally flat then you need possibly a carrycot option (first wheels BUT its side by side and quite bulky when up and folded) or maybe the p&t as the bottom seat is a cocoon type flat seat.....

hth x

MERLYPUSS Wed 18-Jun-08 22:32:46

For twins or newborn and other child?
I have a Nipper 360 for my twins (side by side)and it's great. Goes through a lot of shop doors although not all of them and really easy to push.

AllBuggiedOut Wed 18-Jun-08 22:33:27

If you'll be using it a lot, I'd go for a mountain buggy with carry cot for the newborn. They are bulky, but are a dream to push, even one-handed. And I never found any problem getting into shops with mine. I think there was one friend's house whose front door was to narrow, but that was the exception rather than the rule. I was in central London, so I just bought a bike lock and left the buggy outside her house when we were there!

I don't like the Phil and Teds arrangement, although I suppose it could be an option if it's just for occasional short journeys. The front seat of the P&T is small, though, so my 2 year old DS didn't fit in it! And it's nothing like as easy to push as the Mountain Buggy.

greenelizabeth Wed 18-Jun-08 22:38:27

I bought a P&T and was SO in love with it to begin with.

But the problem is that although the heavier child is supposed to always go on top, that wasn't practical at all. I used to go everywhere with the lighter child on top and my older child jumping in and out as she felt like it.

The basket ended up fcuked because she'd put her feet through it. SHe's not tall, or heavy. She was normal for her age.

I wish now, I'd bougth a Jane Power Twin, but ah well!

silverfrog Wed 18-Jun-08 22:39:50

really, allbuggiedout? I've found the P&T to be one of the larger buggies around - dd1 still fits in well, and she is nearly 4 and quite large for her age(well over 1m tall, and 18kg)

I was not keen on the thought of the back seat view before owning a P&T, but having had to get one by default, I've found that dd2 does not mind it at all. She has worked out that if she just looks up she can see me, which is a bonus as she lost her rear-facing pram when we got the P&T, and she sees plenty out of the sides - there's not myuch she seems to miss anyway, as she's a nosey little girl!

gemmiegoatlegs Wed 18-Jun-08 22:58:44

how about buying whichever single buggy you fancy for your new baby and getting one of these

AllBuggiedOut Thu 19-Jun-08 11:52:19

Yes, Silverfrog, it wasn't wide enough for him to sit straight. The hard metal side bars pressed into his shoulders.

BeckieB Thu 19-Jun-08 12:54:20

Thanks for all the info, I was pooped last night so was in the land of nod shortly (very shortly!) after posting my message. Everyone seems to have found a buggy that really suits them, I wish you were able to test drive them! I think we'll prob go for a side-by-side having seen one today that lies completely flat. Equally, we don't want to spend loadsamoney on one as it won't be used forever. When the older one is a bit older (?!) I think I'll get a buggy board that he can sit on too. I love the idea of the separate carrycot next to an ordinary buggy seat - I swore by my traditional mamas and papas carrycot with my first, it looked so comfy! but having looked at icandy et al cannot really justify spending that much at the mo!

AllBuggiedOut Thu 19-Jun-08 13:22:08

It is mind-boggling, isn't it? (I joined mumsnet when pg with number 2 and battling with this very issue, hence my name!)

It might be worth checking out resale prices on ebay before you make a decision. You would get a lot of your money back on something like a mountain buggy, if you chose to sell it later on.

Good luck!

mumtoboys Thu 19-Jun-08 15:36:24

I didn't like Powertwin because I found it really hard to get up and down kerbs with single wheel at the front. I ended up with DS2 in a sling for 4-5 mths until DS1 (2.6 by then) walked - and buggy board on single buggy when tired). He's a great walker though!

Most of my friends ended up hating their double buggies and using a single with a buggy board asap. (Apart from friend with Phil and Teds who loves hers). I didn't like one of them sitting underneath but it's not so long or wide so easier to manoevre/push.

dizzydixies Thu 19-Jun-08 15:41:42

mine arrived today having only ordered it 3 days ago from holland!!!!! grin

haven't had it out the box though but I did turn into oober double nerd looking at them all

I opted for a duo easywalker - it gets rave reviews in US and Europe and is only just filtering over here

my dd2 is too tall for a powertwin/ P&T even though she has only just turned 2 and the advantage over the mountain buggy is that the duo walker can also take a car seat as well as a lie flat carry cot

will post a link

duowalker

don't know anyone else that has one in person though so can't advise further than I have sorry!

do have FAB website in Holland which is cheaper than getting it from the 3 UK suppliers and they stock ALL the colours, we still only went for red even though I wanted the aqua one grin

hope this helps somewhat?

greenelizabeth Thu 19-Jun-08 17:27:44

wow, you could invade a small country with that buggy. But I like it. I'm jealous. It makes me want to have two more children.

NO it doesn't actually! BUT, I wish they'd had that 3 yrs ago!

dizzydixies Thu 19-Jun-08 17:46:59

shockshockshock

who told you *greenelizabeth?!?!

my cunning plan has been outed and will need to rethink it all

arse!

greenelizabeth Thu 19-Jun-08 19:18:52

HILE dizzydixies!!

You could invade Scotland, (for practise) and then you could name your fabulous-are-you-very-jealous? buggy "HMS Caledonia"

Any excuse for a bottle of champagne grin

dizzydixies Thu 19-Jun-08 20:00:44

oohhh lovely - I DO like a good launch grin

oooggs Thu 19-Jun-08 20:04:08

my newborn twins were very laid back and snug in our double nipper and now at 14mths they still are comfy, easy to push and fits through my front door

neolara Thu 19-Jun-08 20:14:27

I have a Jane powertwin. Baby lies flat. Both kids can see fine. My DD is nearly four and still fits in it without problem. I find it very easy to push around town and I walk a lot. It fits on a bus (it's only a few cm longer than my single three wheeler). I would recommend it. The big disadvantage is that it is very expensive but it does keep its value well on ebay so you get your money back in the end.

dizzydixies Thu 19-Jun-08 20:19:00

neolara was trying for ages to get a powertwin on ebay as have a rebel car seat and matrix lie flat but because I needed an old one I couldn't get one for love nor money - gave up and am just hoping I don't regret it now!

deeeja Thu 19-Jun-08 20:53:52

I have a mountain buggy urban. It is very easy to push, and I haven't found a door it doesn't fit through yet. I do alot of walking,so it is great for me. My two are 3.3 and 19 months old, and it is still as easy to push as it was when ys was born. They are very comfy in the seats, and even my 5 year old sits in it with no problems.
It is the best buggy I have ever bought, and am about to purchase the single so I don't have to use my maclaren when 3 year old is at nursery from September. It will still be useful, because 3 year old has asd, so I will need it when 19 month old inevitably grows out of it.
I have a friend who bought the p & t and regrets it, she can't fit any shopping in unless she uses the panier bags, and that makes the buggy very wide and awkward to push.
The mountain buggy is solidly built, and easy to manouvre, you will not regret it.

deeeja Thu 19-Jun-08 20:54:10

I have a mountain buggy urban. It is very easy to push, and I haven't found a door it doesn't fit through yet. I do alot of walking,so it is great for me. My two are 3.3 and 19 months old, and it is still as easy to push as it was when ys was born. They are very comfy in the seats, and even my 5 year old sits in it with no problems.
It is the best buggy I have ever bought, and am about to purchase the single so I don't have to use my maclaren when 3 year old is at nursery from September. It will still be useful, because 3 year old has asd, so I will need it when 19 month old inevitably grows out of it.
I have a friend who bought the p & t and regrets it, she can't fit any shopping in unless she uses the panier bags, and that makes the buggy very wide and awkward to push.
The mountain buggy is solidly built, and easy to manouvre, you will not regret it.

redrobin Thu 19-Jun-08 20:56:31

i'm with you on the mountain buggy - expensive but great resale value, and a dream to manoevre. i've got a single as well...totally worth it.

Washersaurus Thu 19-Jun-08 21:02:33

I have a P&T sport and love it - my nearly 3yo and 10mo take it in turns with the seats; back seat is better if DS2 wants to nap as it can recline and is a bit cosier, but if DS1 is likely to be walking a lot I pop DS2 in the front where he gets a good view.

I use my buggy every day as I don't drive and can't fault it. I get frequently get pavement rage so couldn't deal with pushing a side by side one around town.

BeckieB Thu 19-Jun-08 22:02:32

Dizzydixies, the duowalker looks amazing! could you post the dutch website so I can compare prices. Also do you know the names of the 3 suppliers in UK as have only found one so far. Cheers medears. Also someone has offered me a mountain double buggy for £100.Is this a good deal?

JamInMyWellies Thu 19-Jun-08 22:13:23

OOh dizzy I think I might be persuaded from the P&T vibe. Is there stockist in the UK to have a try of it? How much did it cost?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now