Talk

Advanced search

Laminators...why should I get one?

(34 Posts)
HunkerMunker Tue 25-Jan-05 17:07:26

I'm a stationery addict - I love the stuff. A laminator seems like a wonderful addition to my collection...but can I justify it? Well, why would I have to when I can have other mumsnetters justify it for me?

(And which one?)

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:11:53

Best thing. Ask any mum with a child with specail needs and we all have one!

What we've done with ours:

Take pics of ourselves, friends & family and laminate each one with names on back. Helps Lottie learn everyone's names and she loves looking at them.

Laminated every object in house to halp her name and learn names of objects.

Taken it to zoo and farm and done the same with animals.

Great for making your own books for kids.

We've printed the name of objects off and laminated them and planning on sticking to the objects i house. helps with learning to read.

Print of 2 pictures with the word on it, and play dominos.

Print off pic with name on it, then print off just the name and get child to match the words up, good for learning to read.

Laminate favourite artwork they bring home to keep.

HunkerMunker Tue 25-Jan-05 17:13:24

I thought you might answer, Thomcat FAB answers - sounding very much like I might get one (DS is only 9 months old...it's really more for me and my stationery addiction! )

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 17:15:34

i too am an addict. I was left aged 6/7 in JOhn menziesi n ST. andrews gazing wiatfully at notepads whuils DM did her shopping

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:17:37

9 months is perfect though. he'll love loking at pictures of his daddy while he (daddy) is out at work, pics of his grandparents, his favouriute toy. Then you can use it more for reading and stuff I've talked abut as he grows up.

From really, really early on I had a phot album full of pics of the cat, my best mates, friends kids etc and it was her favourite book.

SoupDragon Tue 25-Jan-05 17:17:57

Did you not get thrown off the farm for laminating the farm animals, Thomcat?

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:20:43

The horse complained a bit!

I was slightly obsessed when i first got it, running round zoo shouting at D, quick get one of the monkey, oh quick while the tiger is doing that, aggghhh, don't leave out the llama etc etc and he was running after me trying to get a good quality clear pic of them without the bars and cages getting in the way!

HunkerMunker Tue 25-Jan-05 17:20:56

OK, so now I really have to get one! 9 months is indeed perfect (though I suspect I could come up with many reasons why 'from birth' was also perfect for more stationery purchases!!).

LOL at laminating farm animals!

And Coddy...wistful gazing at stationery is one of my fortes

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:26:01

One of my favourite things is a brand new hardbacked notebook. I love them, and currently have about 5 on the go with 3 lined up ready! My favourite has a camoflaged cover and different colur pastel pages.

YUM!!!!!!!!

HunkerMunker Tue 25-Jan-05 17:26:34

I love notebooks. Always so promising...all that blank paper, ready to fill with...ideas!

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:29:52

oh humkermunker - you';re so talking my language, that's so it.

I open an empty book and sit thnking of what I can write in it, love that!!!!!!!!!

kernowcat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:38:19

I hate to spoil the really special ones by writing in them! My DP and DS think i'm strange but DD loves all the girly staionary too, maybe its a girl thing? Although my DS has a laminator (he makes lists of rules for us to follow, and puts them up around the house eg. bathroom rules, dinner table rules etc......)

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:54:46

So pleased I'm not the only one who hates to spoil special notebooks by writing in them, LOL

BadHair Tue 25-Jan-05 17:56:40

You lot would love to come round to my house! I used to be responsible for ordering stationery for my then company's training courses, and one time I accidentally over-ordered and ended up with way too much stuff. I was too scared to admit to it, so I hid it all in the stationery cupboard for a few months, then took it all home with me!
That must have been 7 or so years ago, and I still have a cupboard full of post-its, flip-chart pens, notebooks, A4 pads and sellotape. At least the biros (oh god, the hundreds of biros) have gone now.

HunkerMunker Tue 25-Jan-05 19:23:19

Oh, BadHair... Just that really... Ohhhhh!

Thomcat and kernowcat - I have so many notebooks with the first page written in beautifully, then the rest descending into scrawl (used to do this with exercise books at school too - lol!). And I have some really special notebooks that have nothing in (though I realised this was a 'problem' and have started to use them!).

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 21:17:03

Hunkermunker, and kernowcat, - I've so found a new friend, we've just bonded big time over empty notebooks!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started Lottie's journal because I sat with this beautiful big book on my lap wo ndering what to write in it so ended up starting a pregnancy hournal that I've kept up troughout pregancy and her 3 years so far.
Still can't write in the first page of a book though, always use the 2nd page to statrt a new notebook! I'm scaring myself now!

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:21:15

when Iw as a teacher I wrestled control of the stockroom a nd odering- I used to buy ridiculous items including 100 googly eyes!
we had to do loads of displays about the balck death for years!
lo
am wettting myself tyoing this

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:22:08

( the eyes were for the rats)
the older boys used to remove the eyes formt he rats aaah!

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 21:24:49

And that Coddy is why I love you! Top nutter!

Peckarollover Tue 25-Jan-05 21:25:19

I too have an addiction - how much are we talking for a laminator?

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:25:34

pr I will call kp...........

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:26:01

I also like theose sticky strips you put ont he top of pages in files

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:26:19

and those split pins things - you never see them nowadays

Peckarollover Tue 25-Jan-05 21:26:57

I have a box of those split pins - had to hung high and low for them when I made my "angryomoter"

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:28:05

what was that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now