Talk

Advanced search

Exercise dvd recommendations needed please :)

(27 Posts)
Blossomhill Sun 23-Jan-05 16:14:57

Please can someone recommend a good exercise dvd. Preferably (sp?) one that has a celeb on it and isn't too much hard work
Also like the idea of having to use something with it like weights or a ball.
It's just that I have been going to the gym but to be honest money is a bit tight and I get stressed out and don't feel too comfortable in the gym. I really want to work out at home if possible. Need to tone up a bit but nothing too strenuous!!!

Beansmum Sun 23-Jan-05 16:28:13

davina macall's DVD is supposed to be really good, hard work though, one of my friends uses it. I think it has weights in it as well. I always wondered how davina looks so good when she's constantly having babies!

Blossomhill Sun 23-Jan-05 17:51:29

Thanks

pacinofan Sun 23-Jan-05 19:43:43

Hi, I have been using Rosemary Conley videos (now replaced by dvds) for several years now and can't recommend them highly enough. They are simple to follow but effective, and you can work out at different levels depending on your stamina. You can do a 30 minute aerobic workout (there is a clock on the screen which I find really useful, especially if I am feeling really tired then I know there's only so many minutes to go!) followed by a further toning exercise session if you have the time/energy. There is an option to use weights also. DH bought me her latest dvds for christmas with a dvd player for our bedroom so I can have a workout in the morning while he looks after dd. Previously I had been working out to my 80's videos which were nearly worn out!

DH also bought me the Nell McAndrew dvd which had great reviews on Amazon. I have tried this several times, but I have to say I hate it. I am fairly fit but I found it fairly strenous, music was awful (modern, repetitive stuff, sorry, sounding like an old fuddy duddy here) and no instruction about how to achieve the moves. Thumbs down to this one.

Hope that helps, Helen.

Blossomhill Sun 23-Jan-05 19:45:18

Thanks Helen that was really helpful

bongobum Sun 23-Jan-05 19:46:40

The Angela Griffiths one - is superb,been doing it for the past couple of weeks.

Blossomhill Sun 23-Jan-05 19:48:36

Bongobum - how long is the video and how much does it cost. Thanks

nutcracker Sun 23-Jan-05 19:58:36

I like the sound of that one too, even though i DO NOT dance, or can't dance.

Are they really hard moves, and will i look a twonk ??

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 20:00:44

Elle McPherson's 'The Body' Workout is good - not that recent but I still like it - also Cindy Crawford's ones, though I think hers are a bit harder

Demented Sun 23-Jan-05 20:04:14

My aerobic's instructor said she didn't like the look of Davina McColl's video. She said that she had only seen the clip on the advert but felt she was making some fundamental mistakes (don't know what exactly as she didn't say). She did say she liked the look of the dance one that is out, think it's a Ministry of Sound type thing with aerobics, don't know if she just meant it looked fun to watch. Sorry not a lot of help!

Evesmama Sun 23-Jan-05 20:13:28

if you can get it on dvd(v.old), cindy crawford's is fab, ive got vid and its got two 40 mins workouts and one 10 min workout..very effective

Blossomhill Sun 23-Jan-05 20:18:18

Nutty - what's a twonk???
Never heard that before !!!

Blossomhill Mon 24-Jan-05 20:57:33

BUMP

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 21:01:53

Blossomhill, not a celebrity but I thoroughly recommend Solomon Yogalates - did it after dd and was AMAZING. Keep trying to do it now but keep forgetting. Really amazing results and quite Ok to do too.

nm Mon 24-Jan-05 21:15:54

Dinny - I have the yogalates one but have not used it yet - is it really that good? Will have to give it a go!

nm
x

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 21:19:04

It's so good, NM. Do you have the exercise-band one? I really enjoy doing it and after my last pregnancy it made my tummy soooooo flat (did it 3 times a week for a couple of months). Just have to get arse in gear to do it all again

nutcracker Mon 24-Jan-05 21:23:21

Blossomhill, haven't a clue what a twonk is, but i'm sure it's what i'd look like trying to dance

Blossomhill Mon 24-Jan-05 21:24:57

Just thought it may be some word that is used in b'ham

nm Mon 24-Jan-05 21:26:09

Right Dinny - definitely going to get it out tomorrow - DD is 4 1/5 and I still haven't got a flat tummy! No band in mine though

nutcracker Mon 24-Jan-05 21:26:50

PMSL probably is.

Maybe it's a cross between a twit and something else........erm plonker maybe

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 21:28:04

in mine she uses a band (it's not the most recent one though). had to buy one (got it from yoga centre)
her most recent dvd think she includes one.

good lucfk

Kayleigh Mon 24-Jan-05 21:29:28

dinny which yogalates DVD is it? have just looked on amazon and there are a few. thanks

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 21:37:10

Kayleigh, can't check now as it's in ds's room (daren't wake up the monkey after a couple of awful nights!). Think it is the first Yogalates (I bought it in 2002). It's the one that has two parts to it, not four. will check tomorrow and post it here.

Kayleigh Mon 24-Jan-05 21:37:55

thanks honey

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 21:44:23

it had better prove itself now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now