Talk

Advanced search

ANYONE GOT A CEILING LIGHT FAN? ARE THEY ANY GOOD?

(24 Posts)
mad4mybaby Mon 09-Jun-08 19:25:07

thinking about getting one for ds room as his room has full sun until its dark so v hot and cant havae windows open as the birds wake him at 4am!

are these any good? are they easy to instal?

Tapster Mon 09-Jun-08 20:15:28

We removed most of them from our house when we bought them - they tend to be large and quite ugly. Ours were noisy too. Can't you just shut the windows when you go to be. Close the curtains when he isn't in the room so it doesn't heat up.

Friendlypizzaeater Mon 09-Jun-08 20:17:25

We've got one in our room (cost a fortune 10 yrs ago) and a cheaper one in DS room. We have ours on most nights as it is silent (and makes a difference), DS doesn't like his on cos of the noise. If you get one get the best one you can afford.

REIDmylips Mon 09-Jun-08 20:33:06

we have one inour room and i hate it, it was there when we moved in so not sure how expensive it was. It is noisy. Dh however swears by it. Although he falls asleep when i dry my hair because he likes the sound of myhair dryer hmm

Regarding ds room, can you not put a normal fan on in his room for an hour or so before he goes to bed? i know this sounds really stupid, but it works for our ds room, we put it on full stength moving around the room (i cant spell oscilating!!) blowing the warm air out iyswim. His room is usually quite chilly then when he goes to bed.

maidamess Mon 09-Jun-08 20:34:33

I know those ceiling fans have their uses but IMO they are UGLY. And if you ever tried to sell your house it would go against yu. I think a portable fan is a much better idea.

mad4mybaby Mon 09-Jun-08 20:41:13

not bothered that they arent pretty, more bothered that ds is over heating and getting up too early. If i put a normal fan in there he will get up and fiddle with it when he should be going to sleep

lazarou Mon 09-Jun-08 20:43:04

Have two in the front room and one in our bedroom. They are a godsend.

wheelybug Mon 09-Jun-08 20:44:45

We have one in conservatory which is fine. We had one taken down from our bedroom though after we moved in. Our house is v. cool bar the conservatory !

mad4mybaby Mon 09-Jun-08 20:44:50

oh poo, i hate it when this happens, people completley against and people all for. Where did you get yours from those of you who think they're great? We dont have much money at the mo and found one for £18 in argos

lazarou Mon 09-Jun-08 20:47:08

Got ours from homebase, they were reduced when we bought them. Can't remember how much though.

IlanaK Mon 09-Jun-08 20:49:23

We have them in all three bedrooms of our flat and also one in our living room. I would not be without them and we actually had to have our electrician dig through conrete ceileings to install them as there were no central light fittings in our flat when we moved in. My point is that the overall expense of installing them was high and not regretted once.

I agree with the money/quality issue though. We have different ones in the various rooms. Thebog standard BandQ kind are noisy and therefore you wouldn't want them on at night. The one in our bedroom is on all night and not noisy on low or medium speeds but is noisy on high.

The one in our living room is a really special (expensive) one from a lighting store that even has a remote control to operate it. It is lovely to look at and a dream to run as it is totally noisless.

So, they are totally worth the money in my opinion, but if you plan to run them at night, then definately spend more for a good one,.

tortoise Mon 09-Jun-08 20:49:33

I love my ceiling fan in the front room. But i don't like the idea of one in a childs room tbh.
Mine came from Argos a few years ago. It was pretty cheap and isn't too noisy.

mad4mybaby Mon 09-Jun-08 20:57:01

whats wrong with putting one in a kids room?? Id rather my ds was cooler than me at night esp as hes a v hot child! When he was newborn (june 2006) the hotest it had been on record, we went out to homebase to buy an air conditioner unit as he was so hot!

and no, cant use that as that is V V V noisy and he keeps crying when its on telling me to turn it off

tortoise Mon 09-Jun-08 20:59:50

Nothing 'wrong' with it i am thinking about safety. Just would want a high speed fan in my DC rooms. A basic fan is ok, blades are protected.

mad4mybaby Mon 09-Jun-08 21:01:29

sorry not being rude tortoise, i just dont see how having a fan in the celing is any more dangerous than having a desk top one

mad4mybaby Mon 09-Jun-08 21:03:16

tortoise just re read your thread. would it matter the blades arent covered up if they are on celing? My ds wouldnt b able to reach it unless standing on DH shoulders! smile

wheresthehamster Mon 09-Jun-08 21:12:13

dd2 has a cheap argos one in her room and it's on all night. I've just asked her if it's noisy and she said yes but you get used to it. As her room is tiny there is nowhere for a pedestal fan so it's ideal.
The only downside is that there is a mountain of dust on each blade that I don't want to disturb as it looks like it'll be a big job to clean it. grin

mad4mybaby Mon 09-Jun-08 21:29:31

thanks. Trouble is i dont want to buy a cheap one to be noisy and then cant take it back to the shop! plus dh wouldnt be happy either after fitting it which is y im asking on here!

LittleMissNorty Mon 09-Jun-08 21:32:48

I wouldn't be without mine - couldn't sleep during the summer without it. We spent about £60 on ours and its very quiet.

Loads of on-line places to get them - and lots of different styles depending on your taste

lazarou Mon 09-Jun-08 21:33:03

All of mine are noisy, but it's a choice between boiling in the bag and feeling a lovely cool breeze.
I always have a slight paranoia that they are going to suddenly fall spinning from the ceiling and decapitate me.

Sidge Mon 09-Jun-08 21:33:42

We have ceiling fans in 3 of our 4 bedrooms and they are brilliant. They really do cool the room down, and are much safer than pedestal or desk fans for a child's room.

We put them on about 30 minutes before the children go to bed and draw the curtains so the room is cooled by bedtime. If it's very hot and stuffy we leave them on all night, they're not particularly noisy and I find the whooshy noise very relaxing - and I'm such a light sleeper a moth farting wakes me up!

The only bedroom that doesn't have one is DD1s - her bedroom is a loft conversion and the ceiling is too low. She has a tower fan and even though it's OK it doesn't cool as well as the ceiling fans.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 09-Jun-08 21:57:15

My ex had a ceiling fan in his bedroom - it was heaven. I quite like "white noise" at night though, I can't sleep now without my (normal) fan on because I like the drone. Argos had a quite nice one reduced until mid this month sometime - I think it was sort of rattan (not sure what you call it but hopefully you get my drift), but if you search I am sure you can find one that isn't too garish. I have seen a white one in Argos I am sure for less than £20, and if you ever sold up just replace it, but TBH function is alot more important than style. DSs room is the same - full sun most the day so am getting him one. Maybe check out child friendly ones? I am sure they must have invented something by now that's possibly foamy, low noise etc. etc.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 09-Jun-08 22:05:20

these do some nice ones (had a quick google) inc. one with footballs and a canvas (so lighter/safer?) bladed one.

Earlsdon Mon 14-Jan-19 15:46:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: