Talk

Advanced search

Prepaid credit cards

(14 Posts)
Bax Sat 22-Jan-05 17:48:23

Has anyone got one?

We've havn't got the best of credit rating so wouldn't be able to get a normal one but would like one to shop line.

Any experience / recomendatinos

misdee Sat 22-Jan-05 17:51:25

never heard of them. can u give an example

misdee Sat 22-Jan-05 17:52:03

what about a DEBIT CARD? oops caps sorry.

lockets Sat 22-Jan-05 17:52:17

Message withdrawn

Bax Sat 22-Jan-05 18:05:51

here can't have a switch card due to bad creidt rating bank won't give us one after trying several

cloudy Sat 22-Jan-05 18:07:02

A product whose time has come...
I imagine it's like any other credit card, watch the rate, really try to pay it off in full each month or you'll get stung very badly in interest.

If it were me I'd go with a mainstream provider (like Capital One ), that's all.

misdee Sat 22-Jan-05 18:09:32

what about electron or solo? many places accept those online these days, and seeing as children around 12 (i belive so anyway) can have a solo card, u may just be able to get one.

my credit rating is p*ss poor, and after 3yrs have just got a debit card back, the bank were saving me from myself.

nutcracker Sat 22-Jan-05 18:10:50

Capital One do a card where you pay a deposit of between 50 and 200 pounds before you get the card. They have offered me one but the interest rate is 29.9% which is alot insn't it ?

misdee Sat 22-Jan-05 18:13:15

i weould be wary tbh. and did i just see that the processing fee is £99? think your better off askign to use someone elses card and give them the cash. thats what i did.

nutcracker Sat 22-Jan-05 18:19:50

Yeah good idea Misdee.

I have chucked my offer in the bin, it's just not worth it.

misdee Sat 22-Jan-05 18:20:49

and considered your meant to be cutting back nutty, i dont think u should pay ut the processing fee think what £200 could get you!!

Bax Sat 22-Jan-05 18:44:10

have tried getting a sole/electron card and no luck.

We applyed for a capital one card and we're told we had to pay a £200 security fee this was in november when we didn't have the money to go ahead with it. - and have been told we now have to wait till this november to reapply which is along way off - as could do with the card to do my shopping to make life easier

zebra Sat 22-Jan-05 18:51:51

That's extortionate, Bax. You should email the Moneybox programme on Radio4 to do a feature on what a rip off these cards are (I searched the website, but can't see anything about it).

Bax Sat 22-Jan-05 19:38:01

not bothered about the inital fee if it guarntees we get a card as it would make our lifes so much easier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now