Talk

Advanced search

BBC One Life blue anti-bullying wristbands

(31 Posts)
JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 13:44:03

No wonder they ran out so fast - have a look at ebay - some people must have ordered dozens just so that they could sell them. Look at the bids! It's a bit of blue rubber!

They received over a million requests. I don't know how many were sent out but they didn't even charge postage. That's our money, you know.

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 18-Jan-05 13:45:42

What ?!

littlemissbossy Tue 18-Jan-05 13:46:52

JanH... did I die and miss something really important? what are they?

jangly Tue 18-Jan-05 13:47:35

I suppose they think they will become collectors items!! Oh well, if they get worn, maybe that's ok!

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 13:51:25

Rubber wristbands are The teeny fashion item atm - it was started by Lance Armstrong and his yellow Livestrong bands to raise money for cancer research. There are pink ones for breast cancer I think and the Make Poverty History campaign have just started with white ones, but you pay for those and the money goes to the charity (but some people sell those at a profit too )

So the BBC hit on this idea but gave them away, loads of celebrities are wearing them, dead trendy, blahdiblah. So lots of money to be made. I don't think most of the kids give a stuff about what they're for mind you!

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 13:52:40

But because it's the BBC it's taxpayers' money that these people are making their fat profits on which does p*ss me off a bit (could you tell? )

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 18-Jan-05 13:53:00

People will pay for any old crap, but it does make me that there are people profiteering out of this sort of thing.

Freckle Tue 18-Jan-05 13:55:54

We received ours the other day - one for each of the 3 boys. They were rather bemused and are not really sure that they will have the desired effect. Tbh, I'm rather worried that wearing them might lead to bullying.

Anyway, how anyone can say they are very rare is beyond me. Mind you I did notice that that particular one was listed in US dollars, so maybe they are trying to take advantage of American gullibility.

Tinker Tue 18-Jan-05 13:57:46

Must admit, think they do flag up "Pick on me, please"

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 14:00:26

The bullies were probably the first ones to get them, so maybe not!

SuzySox Tue 18-Jan-05 14:03:51

Where do you get the white ones from?

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 14:09:14

Oxfam shops have some in although they are printed fabric atm - they are going to get the rubber ones I think. Or you can order them from the website - mph shop . They have got the others too (silicone, apparently, not rubber.)

Get lots, suzy, then you can sell them on ebay!

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 14:15:13

MPH website . It has 3 of those little videos that make you weep on the home page (including the one that was on Vicar of Dibley I think - the 2 African children whose parents both died of AIDS) - makes you want to bring them all home and look after them...

Bunglie Tue 18-Jan-05 14:37:36

Sorry to but in but Janh can you get on MSN?

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 14:57:03

Oh sorry, Bunglie, I missed you

Will email!

ks Tue 18-Jan-05 14:58:53

Message withdrawn

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 15:05:17

Posset coloured with mustardy smears would be nice

Gobbledigook Tue 18-Jan-05 15:05:41

I don't know why they'd lead to bullying as they are quite trendy aren't they? My brother wears a yellow one for testicular cancer I think and I've seen loads of lads wearing them.

Sick, sick, sick that people are flogging for a profit on ebay.

lockets Tue 18-Jan-05 15:07:22

Message withdrawn

tarantula Tue 18-Jan-05 15:10:58

I ordered one of these for dss ages ago and forgot about it. It came in the post yesterday and when I told dp about it and said they are supposed to be cool and trendy the first thing he said was "Well then hell get bullied for havign it if the other kids dont and theyll have it off him". Hadnt thougth of that myself. Oh well if dss wants its he can have it. Otherwise how do I set up a an ebay account anyone??
(Only coddin')

KateandtheGirls Tue 18-Jan-05 15:13:45

Jan - teenager fashion item? Not here. I've never seen the bullying ones, but people of all ages are wearing the yellow Lance Armstrong and pink breast cancer ones. (I myself am wearing a pink one now.)

lockets Tue 18-Jan-05 15:16:14

Message withdrawn

misdee Tue 18-Jan-05 15:17:11

cant believe they are selling for that much. i might coour some elastic bands in blue marker pen and flog them.

lockets Tue 18-Jan-05 15:17:48

Message withdrawn

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 15:24:04

There is a huge choice of them over there, Kate! ebay.com.
But the selling-on prices appear not to be as silly as here (actually I think ebay.com have stopped people selling them at high prices? There was a fuss about it.)
ebay.co.uk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: