Talk

Advanced search

Cake Tins.........haven't a clue which ones to buy

(21 Posts)
nutcracker Mon 17-Jan-05 14:17:43

Ok, i don't do baking, never have and never thought i would want to, but recenrtly the kids asked me if we could do a choccie cake and then i just read the lovely recipies for carrot cake and so think i might give it a go.

I don't own any cake tins, not one so which sort do i need.

Square, round, oblong ???? Big small ????

Which would i be most likely to use the most often.

LIZS Mon 17-Jan-05 14:22:20

I mostly use my round sandwich tins and a loaf tin. You can buy non stick sets of mixed sizes/shapes in Woolworths etc.

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 14:22:30

most basic are round - 6 or 7 inch or a loaf tin nutty

I use my round ones most

Cadbury Mon 17-Jan-05 14:24:28

I reckon it'd be worth you getting a couple of shallow sandwich tins (7 or 8" diameter), a decent, nonstick (but grease and line it anyway) square tin of about 8" . If you plan on making big fruit cakes at all, then a "springform" round cake tin is always useful.

KBear Mon 17-Jan-05 14:24:55

I think the basic tins you need are an 8" square or round tin (for carrot cake, fruit cake), two 8" sandwich tins (for sponge cakes) and perhaps a bun tin (for fairy cakes).

I love baking and have a million cookery books (not quite!) but alas I am trying to lose a stone in weight to get back to pre-baby size so if I can't eat them I can't make them! sob

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 14:25:07

lakeland do them or anywhere iwll
I find for 6 inch ones you can do a recipe of 4 ox sugar/flour/butter adn 2 eggs
but for 6 inch tine increase that to 666 and three
take out an ounce of the flour and replace with cocoa for choc cake
peice of piss

nutcracker Mon 17-Jan-05 14:25:31

Ta very much, will look in woolies this week.

Am actually quite excited...how sad is that

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 14:25:52

oh and if you go to lakeland or order on line get theeir pre cut cake tin liners - very handy

or nutty make choc fairy cakes using hte smae recipe

Tommy Mon 17-Jan-05 14:26:48

don't get the really cheap ones in Woolies though - they aren't very good IMO

nutcracker Mon 17-Jan-05 14:28:07

Thanks cod, just had to read that several times for it to sink in, but i get it now. My old HE teacher would be sooooooo shocked if ever i do one and it turns out ok.

I once did a chocolate log in HE and had to trun it into a chocolate cliff cos it fell apart

Pidge Mon 17-Jan-05 14:32:06

nutcracker - definitely agree that the tins suggested here are good. If you follow woodpops' carrot cake recipe a 7 inch round tin is great, in fact next time I'd be tempted to double the cake mix quantities and make two 7 inch round cakes and then sandwich them together with the icing plus put icing on top (no need to double the icing quantities as there was loads, I scoffed a ton of it straight from the mixing bowl).

Oh and chocolate logs are hard - I made a yule log which had a San Andreas style fault running down the middle into which all the robins and festive decorations fell! Other cakes are far less problematic. Good luck.

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 14:33:54

lol but
god knows how any of my pupils ever understood me but htey did seem to!

who was oyur he teacher?

Hausfrau Mon 17-Jan-05 14:39:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 14:52:35

cant you conevry 26 cm into inches
hold on, have a ruler 15 cm is 6 inches so think yours in a 10 incher
woiw!

PrettyCandles Mon 17-Jan-05 15:01:48

Hausfrau, your 666-3 recipe converts to 50g/egg (or 55g if they are larger eggs).

Nutty, get the heaviest tins you can afford (anodised are the best, IME, but oooooh very dear) because thin tins may seem a bargain but they warp or rust or get easily dented. I don't like non-stick because I generally find you just have to look at it the wrong way and the coating gets scratched. Make sure you line the base of the tin with a circle of greased baking parchment (Tesco etc) and sponge cakes will come out of the tin easily.

Hausfrau Mon 17-Jan-05 15:07:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

miggy Mon 17-Jan-05 15:12:33

the other thing I would suggest is if buying round tins-go for springform (sides loosen so easy to get cake out.
Plus I try and buy the ones that actually say the size on the bottom as I am rubbish at guessing and cant be bothered to find a ruler!
have a new one in the cupboard-kaiser brand, quite strong, £3.75, has size (18in/7cm in this case) embossed on the bottom.
good luck with the cake

motherinferior Mon 17-Jan-05 15:37:08

Where can I get six inch sandwich tins? Lakeland doesn't stock them.

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 15:37:42

have i go that wrong?
maybe iI mean 7 ot 8 inc h ones
sorry

fisil Mon 17-Jan-05 15:40:21

Hausfrau, your cake recipe is what I call "weight of 3 eggs". What you do is weigh 3 eggs (or however many eggs you want) and then put in identical quantities of marg, flour and sugar. Weigh the eggs in their shells before you start. Easiest recipe there is!

FineFigureFio Mon 17-Jan-05 15:44:13

round ones
poundstretcher

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: