Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

"Science/Chemistry" kits for a five year old?

(7 Posts)
Willow2 Mon 17-Jan-05 13:41:01

DS has suddenly got into experiments in a big way - so far this has basically involved filling a large bottle full of different liquids, powders etc and shaking it about... but are there any chemistry kits you can recommend that would be good for a fast approaching five year old?

littlemissbossy Mon 17-Jan-05 13:45:01

I searched everywhere for my nephew a chemistry set/science kit!! ALL chemistry sets are for age 8 or 10 minimum. Early learning do a good volcano science kit plus others for younger children www.elc.co.uk search 'science'
HTH

roisin Mon 17-Jan-05 14:08:36

this is a good one Brightminds is an excellent site for this sort of material.

DS1 has a kit called Chemistry Lab by Sarah Angliss. I can't find a link, but I have seen them for sale in WHS and Ottakars.

The main thing to remember with this age is they do need close supervision in order to be safe, but also to learn anything.

There are loads of fun science experiments books about, and you can have masses of fun growing salt crystals, experimenting with heat and freezing things, balloons, empty pop bottles, vinegar and baking powder, etc., etc.

HTH

Willow2 Wed 19-Jan-05 09:03:05

Thanks for that. Roisin - can you recommend a book?

roisin Wed 19-Jan-05 12:54:28

Oh - we've got several books at home, one particularly is superb - lots of explanation, not just how to do the experiment, but the science behind it ...

Unfortunately I'm not at home right now, so can't check ... all I can remember is it's big and blue!!! If I haven't come back to this thread this evening, do bump it up to remind me to look for you.

grumpyfrumpy Wed 19-Jan-05 13:09:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grumpyfrumpy Wed 19-Jan-05 13:09:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: