Talk

Advanced search

solar panels-help been stupid-worried!

(20 Posts)
miggy Sun 16-Jan-05 22:36:05

think DH and I have done something really stupid today. DH had been thinking about getting some solar panels on the roof when we have it done in a few months time, to be green and in the long term save money. The guy came today and gave us a quote and he seemed really nice and completely non pushy and we signed up for this thing. So unlike us as usually check everything with fine tooth comb. He said that was eligible for gov. grant under "clear skies " initiative and that they would claim that. Just checked that site and the are not on the list of registered installers.
Am feeling very worried now-not about the grant as small part of cost, but about the product/company. Why did he lie? Why arent they registered? Why have I been so dumb?
The contract said "as this is a cash sale, there is no cooling off period" is this legal? would the fact that he lied be valid?
Havent told DH yet as he is out now.
Company is Simplee Solar.

morningpaper Sun 16-Jan-05 22:39:15

I'm QUITE sure that's bollocks re. the cooling off period. Ring your local trading standards office tomorrow.

KatieMac Sun 16-Jan-05 22:39:37

Sorry Miggy - totally off subject - is it a hot water system (passive) or Photovoltaeic (((sp) cells

I want solar

BTW the website maynot have been updated......

Good luck

miggy Sun 16-Jan-05 22:47:45

morning paper-have just checked trading standards and the cooling off is only for unsolicited visits-we asked him to come. aargh!

katiemac-its panels on the roof with vacuum tubes and stuff, water is pumped through and heated that way then feeds exsisting water tanks. If it works, it should pay for itself, in our case, in about 6 yrs, plus help environment in meantime!
agree about updating will phone clearskies tomorrow-just think this company have been around for ages and if they lied about that, feel very uncomfortable about whole thing.
did you get your hens?

KatieMac Sun 16-Jan-05 22:53:33

No Hens - still unsure about the hutch.....I am so about your hot water panels....Do you mind me asking How much they were?

When we have done our loft Conversion - we will get a hot water system - but as we don't know how much the roof will change we have to wait til after that (and that's at least 2 yrs away )

Good luck - if he 'said' something then I think that is part of the contract....check with CAB/Which?

miggy Sun 16-Jan-05 23:02:32

£6600 including "the grant" which is about £400 I think. Thats for quite a large system as we currently have 2 hot water tanks. That includes fitting the panels-which just are bolted onto exsisting tiles, and the pump and plumbing to connect to old system.
We are having ours done at same time as roof so will already have scaffolding up. Might be good time for you to do it when you have your loft conversion if you will have scaffolding anyway?
Our current system is oil and we use about 200 litres per week but that includes aga and central heating. This will do hot water part

KatieMac Sun 16-Jan-05 23:05:31

Sounds like a very big system - yes we hope to do them at the same time....but we also want grey water recycling...so - we'll see

Good luck sorting it out - let me know tomorrow if you get any answers

Night
KMc

miggy Mon 17-Jan-05 15:17:58

confused now! spoke to company and they said that the salesman was out of date, that they were registered but left scheme as huge amounts paperwork, £14 page form per grant etc. But that they pay the subsidy themselves (hm-do I believe that!)
Rang Clearskies, the gov body, they said yes they were registered but only for a short time and did leave voluntarily. She read me the form over the phone, 6 pages 4 for us and 2 for them, mainly check boxes, 10 mins worth. The product they use is not registered, but checked that on suppliers website and seems good quality (german make).
So I dont know, just feel like they have lied and so cant trust them. Dh says not to worry, just see what happens but personally am not the ostrich type!
Will let you know

jampots Mon 17-Jan-05 16:16:47

surely if you were missold the product you still have some avenues to go down?

CarrieG Mon 17-Jan-05 16:32:35

I should have thought you could just tell the company that you agreed to the contract on the basis of what the salesman told you. Since he (possibly inadvertently!) misled you, you're now cancelling it.

Have you paid already? If not I'd just try a very 'we won't be proceeding with this, please cancel the arrangements' business-like approach with them - put it in writing & keep a copy - & write down what the salesman said, & what the company person said on the phone etc in case they try to hold you to it...

Of course, they might then offer you a discount or other incentive so as not to lose the sale...

LIZS Mon 17-Jan-05 16:45:31

Is there any credit agreement involved ? If so check here and scroll down to "Can You Cancel...Signed at Home" and see if anything there might apply.

miggy Mon 17-Jan-05 17:17:30

no-no credit, have emailed local trading standards though to see if lying means that contract is void.
CarrieG-very sensible idea, will try that-cant lose anything.
Thanks

SoupDragon Mon 17-Jan-05 17:42:14

Personally I wouldn't be happy with a company who'd lied to me or who sent out "out of date" salesmen. I've told Alian Home Improvemes to bog off on several occasioss for that very reason.

I would say you have a good reason to get out of the cotract since you signed up on incorrect information.

KatieMac Sun 05-Jun-05 21:03:37

Miggy - Any news on this?

What happened in the end?

miggy Sun 05-Jun-05 21:25:52

katiemac-thanks for remembering!
We sent lots of letters saying wanted to cancel/have money back etc. They sent lots of letters admitting that salesman had lied and that he was "now no longer with the company" and offering us more and more money off. We just kept saying "no-dont trust you!"
Finally a few weeks ago DH called them and said that we needed to sort this now or would start involving solicitors etc. Bizarre thing was that the manager/owner then said " well actually mate you are right, we have been lying all along. We dont use the national scheme not because its too much paperwork like we said, but because it ties you down to lots of things like giving customers a cooling off period after signing the contract and we were losing too many sales" he really said that in those words ie admitted to being a lying b$$$$$d that likes to rip people off! he did however agree to a full refund (dont know if that has materialised yet-will let you know!)

KatieMac Sun 05-Jun-05 21:27:01

Will you still get solar panels?

I'm glad they are sorting it out

miggy Sun 05-Jun-05 21:27:17

ps-how are your sweet potatoes?

KatieMac Sun 05-Jun-05 21:28:59

They only got here this week I'm going to plant them soon - They got a bit dr in the post & I've had them in water

miggy Sun 05-Jun-05 21:29:20

re solar panels-dont know, has put me off a bit really, also wanted to have them done at same time as roof replaced and thats nearly finished now.

KatieMac Sun 05-Jun-05 21:31:08

what a nuisence - can you get the money back quickley and get some very soon?

Waht a shame to loose out just cos of some bad business men

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: