Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

which is the best electric breast pump???

(14 Posts)
blossom2 Sun 16-Jan-05 11:10:46

Any advice on which one to get would be great.

I'm very early in pregnancy but VERY keen to breastfeed, and at least express loads for the littlelin.

I'm keen to get a dual pump, electric one but should it be the Medela or Ameda?

Many thanks in advance!

taramac Sun 16-Jan-05 11:30:50

I only used the Medela one and I found it brilliant. Had tried a hand pump before which just didnt work for me at all but with the Medela I got ounces of the stuff coming out!

And congrats on deciding to brestfeed! Well worth it.

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 12:25:26

Another vote for the Medela mini - fantastic pump! Lasted two kids as well with tons of expressing (although the motor is starting to sound a little ropey now - probably wouldn't last a third!!)

motherinferior Sun 16-Jan-05 12:27:07

If it's a dual electric, I'd go for the Ameda. The Medela is much more expensive and I also found it less effective.

collision Sun 16-Jan-05 14:43:21

Medela gets my vote! Am using it for the 2nd time and got 10oz out this morning! It is brilliant!

Yorkiegirl Sun 16-Jan-05 14:57:04

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Sun 16-Jan-05 14:58:26

FTR,

I thought the Avent Isis (hand pump) was much better than the Avent Electric.

moondog Sun 16-Jan-05 15:27:53

Medela-ace!

throckenholt Sun 16-Jan-05 15:43:47

I vote for the ameda lactaline - great for double pumping - I used it when expressing exclusively for 9 months (for twins !. Expensive though.

franch Sun 16-Jan-05 16:02:13

I hired the heavy-duty Ameda one from the hospital - extremely efficient - will be doing the same this time

motherinferior Sun 16-Jan-05 16:49:46

The Ameda Lactaline's the home version of the hospital one. It's not quite as high-powered but it's pretty damn good.

miranda2 Sun 16-Jan-05 17:04:53

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but does anyone know if using one of htese would make bfing easier? I had a dreadful time last time - lasted three weeks of cracked nipples, mastitis, etc, and eventually gave up - fed ds on formula and expressed milk (used the Avent hand pump, never got more than 2oz out at a time...). I just wondered if I used an electric pump from the very beginning it might build up a supply of milk more gently than a baby tugging away?? Or am I being stupid? Just thought anything to make it easier and give me a chance of making a go of it this time was worth investigating!

blossom2 Sun 16-Jan-05 17:44:02

don't worry miranda2. i posted this thread for eaxactly the same reasons. your situation is identical to mine with DD.

i had loads of milk last time but it took ages to get anything with the hand pump so i gave up. i don't want that to happen this time.
i think i'm just going to see how it goes this time with number 2 but i know i'll be able to express more effectively with a dual electric pump.

hope this makes sense. thanks for all your views ladies - keep them coming.

jennifersofia Sun 16-Jan-05 21:10:34

I used the medela double, which was sent to me by a (fab!) aunt. I used it because I was having such a hard time b/f - very very sore but wanted to keep on feeding. Doing the pump gave my breasts a bit of a break and time to recover. The reason for the soreness for me was lack of correct position (babby's mouth on breast that is) but was able to continue due to the pump and also with help of a b/feeding counsellor.
Anyway, it was a bit mad, with me pumping and husband sitting up and giving a bottle, and at times it did feel a bit bovine, but I am really glad I did it, and the medela was super efficient and much easier than the avent hand pump.
By the way, like you Miranda2, I was very worried about b/f second time around, but it was much better than I had expected - you might find it the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now