Limestone flooring/Travertine - pros and cons?

(20 Posts)
RainingCatsandDogs Wed 14-May-08 19:31:49

Thinking of 'tumbled limestone' for kitchen/family dining area into the hall.

I understand it is porous so absorbs for example spilt juice but how much of a problem is this?

Don't want laminate and I understand wood scratches and isn't great for kitchens.Someone menioned travertine also but not sure how this differs.

NomDePlume Wed 14-May-08 19:32:59

Travertine is tumbled marble. It is more hardwearing and not as porous.

Both will have to be treated with a special sealant once laid to minimise staining

newgirl Wed 14-May-08 19:35:22

travertine can vary a lot - you can look at a sample in the shop and it hardly has any blemishes, then when it arrives it has lots of craters. Fine if you like that look, but not if you want to pure look of limestone.

Go for pre-varnishes as the unvarnished can get stained during the laying, especially with builders walking on it.

RainingCatsandDogs Wed 14-May-08 19:35:43

Are these a bad idea bearing in mind ds (nearly 2) likes to throw his food and everything generally?

NomDePlume Wed 14-May-08 19:39:23

there are two types of finishes for travertine. The smooth type and the dimply, textured type. The smooth type is called 'honed and filled'. It is nice but to me looks a bit like ceramic fakes. Although, admittedly, it is prob easier to clean than the natural type

RainingCatsandDogs Wed 14-May-08 19:39:34

Have been given a recommended company which does limestone more cheaply than the norm but think it may be unvarnished.
Will need to check as we are having building work and a new kitchen at the same time so there will be work people about.

newgirl Wed 14-May-08 19:39:47

as long as the stone is well treated things should just wipe up

RainingCatsandDogs Wed 14-May-08 19:41:28

Have seen limestone but not travertine at friends houses and do like the look of this.Was told tumbled probably the best limestone to go for with children and animals (cat).

NomDePlume Wed 14-May-08 19:42:49

I like the look of the tumbled, rougher edges, personally. I think it ages better where families are using it day in, day out, than the smooth, perfect version.

RainingCatsandDogs Wed 14-May-08 19:44:43

Is there any other product which would be good.Not a really expensive kitchen (white glossy modern) but want quality floor and granite worktops.Like limestone though

MaloryTowers Wed 14-May-08 19:45:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NomDePlume Wed 14-May-08 19:47:32

The truth is that any natural stone product is going to require more faffing than the more modern products. All natural stones have a habit of staining or chipping if they are not properly treated and/or laid.

I know it is dark, but my Mum had a slate floor in her previous house and it was beautiful.

RainingCatsandDogs Wed 14-May-08 19:53:20

I do understand it is not as hardwearing as tiles but it does look lovely.Slate is this any different?

Sorry off out to dance class back in an hour and will check thread.Thanks everyone for your help.

crumpet Wed 14-May-08 19:57:40

We have stone-like porcelain tiles something like this www.marlboroughtiles.com/products/hf.php?p=2&c=15. People do ask what stone it is, it has been hard wearing, non slippy and looks lovely.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 14-May-08 22:37:53

We have this in walnut. Looks lovely, though when laid isn't quite as even as some other surfaces (eg lino, amtico, wood) might be. We have a 2 year old who was a big food thrower too, but it has always cleaned up ok.

poppyh Thu 15-May-08 09:18:53

I have a limestone floor in our bathroom. Because it is pale it shows all stains and marks even though it was well treated. Friend has travertine in kitchen and it seems much less porous.

newgirl Thu 15-May-08 13:44:12

slate and even fake slate look great for hallway/kitchen - dont mark as easily. can get very good fake slate from homebase which i will be using in new kitchen

RainingCatsandDogs Thu 15-May-08 19:42:56

Not sure if slate would be too dark and maybe not good in a modern house - more for an older property ( i am thinking farmhouse) .

Anyone know about the tumbled limestone with fossils in .Does this show the marks less? Don't the natural holes in Travertine make it a pain to keep clean also?

Don't want to spend every day cleaning my glossy white kitchen and pale stone floor

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 15-May-08 22:14:12

The natural holes (should) get filled with grout when the floor is laid.

chipkid Thu 15-May-08 22:27:52

RainingcatsandDogs-I have limestone throughout the downstairs of my house-it has a very sleek finish as we have a very modern house. The limestone that we used was pre-sealed-DONOT get any other sort if you have builders in-they will just seal in the dirt that they create and will ruin it! (my travetine upstairs was sealed by the tilers and the finish is nowhere near as good) the other advantage of pre-sealed is that everything washes off it. We have two children running around on it and have no staining yet.
The disadvantage of pre-sealed is that the grout remains unsealed and with white limestone-and a light grout,the grout will discolour relatively quickly. This has not been a problem for us as we have great big slabs of the stuff so not so much grout-but could affect the overall look if you have smaller pieces.
I love my limestone-but the upkeep is quite high!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now