Talk

Advanced search

I need advice on which type/make of mattress to buy

(20 Posts)
Eddas Tue 13-May-08 20:33:27

I am going to buy a new bed and have just started searching online and there's just so many.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good make?

Last time we bought a bed it was a silent night one, but am a little disappointed with it tbh.

TIA

MaloryTowers Tue 13-May-08 20:34:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bristols Tue 13-May-08 20:34:57

We bought one of those memory foam mattresses. Soooooo comfy.

eandh Tue 13-May-08 20:37:02

one that will cope with dd and ds jumping on it as well as my dd1 and dd2 wink (actually no help because one o got was in shop in town that was near argos but now closed down)

Eddas Tue 13-May-08 20:44:35

i thought it might be a try it out thing.

memory foam sounds good, i need to lay on one though don't I

EandH, you know my children don't sleep in my bedgrin but in my new one there maybe spacegrin

Blu Tue 13-May-08 20:44:56

We recently bought a warren evans wooden bed with a 'response coil' mattress - the top half is that memry fowm stuff - a really luxurious feeling mattress and very comfy. The beds are very well made, and they come and assemble it for you when they deliver - so it doesn't creak or wobble.
mattress

Blu Tue 13-May-08 20:46:22

Yes, you must go and test - don't buy online without testing!

motherinferior Tue 13-May-08 20:48:37

We went to Warren Evans too. I daren't even tell you which mattress we settled on, but I am fantasizing madly about spending night after night on it (it's not arriived yet).

So is Mr Inferior, but I think his fantasies are not quite as inactive as mine wink

eandh Tue 13-May-08 20:49:06

I just offered to go and test with her but thought people may think it was for 'us' grin

PrettyCandles Tue 13-May-08 20:51:29

Latex from John Lewis. Blissssssful. My last two mattresses have both been latex on wooden slat bases. The first was a double on straight slats, the second a kingsize on sprung slats. I swear there is no other mattress for me.

We bought the bed from Dreams, love it and had no problems with them. But Dreams have an appalling reputation - had we known this at the time we probably wouldn't have ordered from them.

You don'th ave to buy bed and mattress from the smae place, but if you are trying out mattresses make sure the shop assistant puts them on a bed with the same type of base as the bed you want. Or vice versa.

Also, go shopping with your parner, or get the shop assistant to lie down next to you and roll over, sit up, etc, to see whether you are affected by the movement of the other person. One of the reasons we love the latex mattress is that it does not transmit any movement whatsoever. You can have breakfast in bed (well, we used to, pre-children anyway) put you cup down on the matteress, and get up and out of the bed without the cup tilting at all.

Latex is as soft and supportive as memory foam without the sponginess or extra warmth. Also, despite being a natural material, it is not hospitable to dustmites.

Eddas Tue 13-May-08 20:52:29

mi grin my fantasies are only comfy sleep related atmgrin maybe once i've had a comfortable nights sleep they'll changehmm

I was going to look round the shops first, then buy online in the hope it'll be cheaperhmm

Thanks for all the replies so farsmile

motherinferior Tue 13-May-08 20:52:35

I found trying them out really quite raunchy.

Eddas Tue 13-May-08 20:53:51

thanks prettycandles, that's really helpfulsmile

Blu Tue 13-May-08 20:53:54

Aah, MI - I know which mattress you went for!
We took the thriftier option.
But we did choose the King Size (snigger). Is yours King Sized?

Blu Tue 13-May-08 20:54:31

And now DS wants a mattress like ours hmm

Eddas Tue 13-May-08 20:54:41

if we take dc(aged 1 and 3) it'll be anything but raunchy

motherinferior Tue 13-May-08 20:57:50

Ours is very definitely king sized. Oh yes. I have just ordered it liberalpinko organic fair traded fitted sheets grin blush.

We didn't go for the organic. But for the Almost Absolutely Poshest one. Oh god it is blissful.

And there was a children's bit where the Inferioriettes frolicked while we lay comatose (and occasionally trying for a snog) on the display grin.

Blu Tue 13-May-08 21:15:16

Did you go to the Clapham Junction branch, MI?

SuiGeneris Sat 17-May-08 17:30:06

Have you checked out Habitat? We had almost settled on a memory foam one from Feather&Black, then walked across the road into Habitat and found a much comfier foam mattress for less than half the price. A year later I am pleased to report we are still delighted with it- and my husband's sore shoulder finally stopped bothering him within a week of acquiring this mattress (the previous one was a 5 year-old top-of-the-range ikea job).

alexa2 Fri 09-Oct-09 11:29:11

Hi Blu,

I just received my 3rd Response Coil mattress from Warren Evans. The first 2 were 'lumpy' and not flat so I returned them. This one is 95% there, it has a slight slope at the far end but it could settle over the rest of the day. When there's no sheet on yours is it completely flat? For an expensive mattress it is comfortable but the build quality seems poor... there's loose thread everywhere too!

I don't know anyone else with one and a google search brought me here due to your previous comments so I'd really be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Alexa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now