Talk

Advanced search

any antibacterial wipes for baby's skin??

(40 Posts)
bumbly Tue 29-Apr-08 17:15:45

in the market???

McDreamy Tue 29-Apr-08 17:16:39

I don't think so. Not a call for them I wouldn't have thought.

avenanap Tue 29-Apr-08 17:18:29

No. Why though?

girlfrommars Tue 29-Apr-08 17:29:27

Not seen any, but why would you want them???

MrsBadger Tue 29-Apr-08 17:33:28

just use a normal babywipe, or a wet flannel

or spit on a tissue

belgo Tue 29-Apr-08 17:34:35

Why would you want them? Very harsh for a child's delicate skin. Would completely mess up the natural flora of the skin. Use normal baby wipes or better still a cloth and water.

MargaretMountford Tue 29-Apr-08 17:34:39

God no ! why on earth ?

Psychomum5 Tue 29-Apr-08 17:35:15

no, but you can get the antibac gel that is in use in hospital....I think from most supermarkets.

why tho......a particular reason or is he in need thro illness etc???

hanaflower Tue 29-Apr-08 17:35:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misdee Tue 29-Apr-08 17:45:59

no.

and i wouldnt buiy them even if there was.

flannel and water.

MargaretMountford Tue 29-Apr-08 18:40:15

please let us know why you want them ?! am curious...

pooka Tue 29-Apr-08 18:42:24

Antibac for children is not a good idea really.

Would be pretty harsh and unforgiving and also there is too much emphasis apparently these days on antibacterial products. My doctor was saying there is a school of thought that links the rise in asthma and eczema with the increased prevalence of antibacterial stuff.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 29-Apr-08 18:42:49

You can get wipes which have tea tree in, I can't remember what they are called but Kiddicare and Little Green Earthlets sell them.

Or make your own with camomile tea, and tea tree and lavender oil.

Unless you have a poorly child, I would stay away from anti-bacterial tbh.

MargaretMountford Tue 29-Apr-08 18:45:22

the introduction of anti bact stuff for home use is bad imo ! hospitals fair enough but home no (and I use the stuff too because I have OCD tendencies and something in my head tells me I need them..grrr

bumbly Tue 29-Apr-08 19:51:39

well am totally in favour of getting germs etc to build immunity but sometimes say little one touches wheel of pram that has just been over dog poo..this has happened by the way

and he is only 9 months old and washing his hand is a task in itself - i was wondering if there are gentle!!!! antibac wipes for such occasisons...normal wipes really dont do anything....

that is all...

NineUnlikelyTales Tue 29-Apr-08 20:02:01

Germs are removed by normal washing, you don't need special antibac stuff which is definitely not suitable for a baby's delicate skin. I can see why you would be worried but what you need to be concerned about with dog poo is worm eggs, not germs as such, and these would be better removed with normal soap and water. Wipes are not the answer to everything unfortunately!

I once found my DS with a nugget of cat poo in his hand at about the same age. He lived - they tend to. The human race would have died out a long time ago if we were such sensitive little flowers.

LIZS Tue 29-Apr-08 20:04:00

You can buy toddler wipes or one of those no rinse antibac gels but really a general babywipe is fine.

LittleBella Tue 29-Apr-08 20:04:24

There was something on the radio this morning about how unhelpful antibacterial wipes etc are for children's health. It was in connection with leukaemia but I was getting the children ready for school, so was only half concentrating.

You must use rubbish wipes, I remember baby wipes removing absolutely everything, including the writing off the washing machine...

bumbly Tue 29-Apr-08 21:01:28

johnsons

LIZS Tue 29-Apr-08 21:06:05

Not exactly gentle anyway.

bumbly Wed 30-Apr-08 09:38:28

EXACTLY - that is my point - normal wipes are harsh anyway

so was surprised to see how many people were shocked and outraged at my misely query!

nailpolish Wed 30-Apr-08 09:41:15

oh my god even adults shouldnt use antibac

antibac soaps etc have single handedly caused the rise of mrsa cdiff and vre

using them on children is ridiculous

germs from dog poo etc can be removed with soapy water. yes, just regular soap

belgo Wed 30-Apr-08 09:43:54

Totally agree nailpolish.

The majority of germs are in fact 'good' germs - we need them for our immune systems.

Anti bac stuff does more harm then good.

meep Wed 30-Apr-08 09:44:09

You could try Jackson Reece Herbal baby wipes - bio-degradable and have tea tree oil & lavender in them so natural anti-bacterial. Sainsburys stock them - and they are also going to be in Asda soon.

bumbly Wed 30-Apr-08 11:13:22

meep - bril thanks - that is what i posted this thread for!

great idea!

not to be bombarded with how bad antibacs are...

working in a hospital i can tell you that correct use of antibac washes is not bad at all!

so then all these people do not use sterilsers then????

if oyu are so against antibac stuff then also you should stop using flouride toothpastes, sterilisers, nappy rash creams, shampoos, soap...list goes on

chemicals in there FAR worse then antibacs useed correctly!..trust me I know!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »