Talk

Advanced search

Baby Float Suits

(10 Posts)
sfg Thu 06-Jan-05 16:58:59

Advice please - do the baby float suits with the removable floatation aids actually help your child to learn to swim or not? Ds1 is 21 months old and is not likely to be taken to formal swimming lessons in the foreseeable future if that's relevant. All comments gratefully received!

Mo2 Thu 06-Jan-05 17:07:34

I think the float suits are designed for older children who are actually almost ready to learn to swim and are beginning to have some of their own bouyancy in the water? I don't think you should/could rely on them to keep you child afloat without an adult supporting them at the same time.

Last summer we had one for DS2 (then 22 months) but we used it alongside armbands for extra bouyancy, AND we never left his side....

Meanwhile DS1 (4.5) who was learning to swim, had his to add extra flotation, and was very happy splashing around on his own in the pool (under our watchful eye, of course)

HTH

Mo2 Thu 06-Jan-05 17:08:49

Forgot to add - I think some of the thinking is that they provide more appropriate 'positioning' in the water for kids that are learning to swim, than arm bands do....

Pidge Thu 06-Jan-05 17:13:05

We started using one of these floaty swimsuits for dd at age 2 + 2 months. They are not enough on their own to keep the baby afloat - but IMO that's good as it encourages them to do some paddling of arms or kicking legs to keep afloat. Whereas armbands just let you dangle there in the water doing nothing. Plus the floaty swimsuits naturally put you in a good position for swimming.

I've been taking dd nearly every week, and to start with had to hold on to her, or at least hold her hands. Now at age 2.5, after a couple of months of practise, she has just started swimming independently without having to hold my hands. She can go 2-3 metres in the water, propelling herself with her arms and legs. It's really exciting.

Tommy Thu 06-Jan-05 18:02:07

My DS1 started in one of these quite young - can't remember exactly but probably around the age of your DS. It wore out through use and had a jacket one. Speaking as a former swimming teacher (honest! ) I would say that they are better than arm bands for positioning in the water. DS1 learned pertty quickly that he didn't need me to hold on to him and now swims without any bouancy aids - he's 3 next week. I think they're great

sfg Thu 13-Jan-05 10:34:35

thanks for the comments - I think his birthday present will be a float suit...

tassis Thu 13-Jan-05 13:32:45

next question is where's the cheapest place to get them?

joolee Sat 15-Jan-05 12:18:03

They are reduced in Mothercare Bluewater at the moment

amynnixmum Sat 15-Jan-05 12:21:12

Used them with both mine from about 8 months. Gave them real confidence in the water and dd learnt to swim unaided (and without lessons) by 5 and ds (4) is just starting to go without armbands now. Can't remember where it came from - sorry.

tassis Sat 15-Jan-05 13:20:36

Thanks for that joolee. My friend phoned me this morning and has got me one in Mothercare Aberdeen reduced from £26 to £13 or thereabouts. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now