Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

good toy for learning alphabet recognition

(27 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-05 19:02:23

I'd like to buy DS (3 and a half) a toy to help with him learning to regocnise the different letters of the alphabet. Can anyone recommend one please?

GeorginaA Tue 04-Jan-05 19:04:28

We've had great success with foam sticky on letters in the bathtub, to be honest. Cheap too

Whizzz Tue 04-Jan-05 19:04:53

We got DS a LeapFrog Phonics writing desk - which he likes - it does sounds + encourages writing the letters.

mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-05 19:05:09

do you remember where you got them from GeorginaA?

Zephyrcat Tue 04-Jan-05 19:05:57

dd learned the alphabet with a wooden fframed toy (can get them in elc) with blocks that spin round and have a relevant pic on one side and the letter on the other. She learnt all the letters really quickly with that when she was 2 and a half

GreatBigFatHeiferEnid Tue 04-Jan-05 19:06:55

pen, paper and mum at the ready

lowcalCOD Tue 04-Jan-05 19:07:12

lol at your new name

gothicmama Tue 04-Jan-05 19:07:41

same as zephyrcat elc letter frame

lowcalCOD Tue 04-Jan-05 19:07:48

books?

mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-05 19:09:47

we do a lot of reading and I do write words down for him all the time when he's in the mood. I just thought with his christmas money that we might have bought a toy to encourage him even more. He shows absolutely NO interest in picking up a pen/pencil himself!

lowcalCOD Tue 04-Jan-05 19:12:14

I know
I woudl save your money though
they just get it
ds2 has waited till he was 4
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

GeorginaA Tue 04-Jan-05 19:17:46

We got ours from Tescos - ours are like jigsaws with a companion picture, but plain foam letters I'm fairly sure I've seen in Mothercare.

GeorginaA Tue 04-Jan-05 19:18:36

We do have other stuff to encourage letter recognition too btw... and he's doing stuff at nursery. But it's the bath letters he really gets excited about and always wants daddy to go through them with him at bathtime. One of our best buys!

coppertop Tue 04-Jan-05 19:19:15

If you can put up with the irritating voice the Vtech Playtime Bus is good. They cost about £15 I think.

Hulababy Tue 04-Jan-05 19:21:01

We have some of those foam letters - all lower case. Got them from somewhere like Superdrug for less than £5 a tub.

Depends on how much you want to spend really on other toys/devices.

I looked at this for DD - My Alphabet Phonics Learning Book, £19.99 I liked this and if we hadn't got the VTech VSmile and her Leappad at Christmas would have got this.

Leappad is also now reduced in Argos to £24.99 and some of the books to £4.99

Hulababy Tue 04-Jan-05 19:30:15

Argos have other things too, including the bus mentioned below.

In the same there is this VTech Smart Book and 2 Books reduced by £10 to £14.99 Write up says it teaches phonics, in addition to other stuff.

This is a desk which is an educational electronic learning desk with stool, featuring several activities that teach the alphabet, words, phonics, spelling, numbers, counting, colours and shapes. For age 3 plus. Half price and down to £17.49. I like the look of this one and seems good reduction!

This one is probably too young - can't remember age you mentioned now. It's a IQ Builders Alphabet Apple, half price at £7.49

Kayleigh Tue 04-Jan-05 19:38:37

We have the tub of letters for the bath too. Father Xmas bought them for ds2 and i'm reliably informed he got them in a large sainsburys for around £3.99

Morgan Tue 04-Jan-05 19:48:30

bath letters also in Wilkinsons - v good buy says my sister

Frizbe Tue 04-Jan-05 19:52:01

M&S also have the frame letters, should be on sale now!

mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-05 20:19:58

thanks very much everypone, and thanks especially for the links to Argos. They have some sale bargains dont they? Think I'll get the spongy letters to start with thgouh and save my money. Oops, sorry, my son's money!

mishi1977 Sat 08-Jan-05 18:09:33

hi my ds has the leapfrog fridge phonics set which was 10 in asda he loves it and i must`admit its quite catchy even does kiddi a and adut A iy u understand my meaning...lol

stripey Sun 09-Jan-05 15:35:05

We have the leapfrog fridge phonics and I think its fantastic. Its a fridge magnet thing and you choose a letter put it into the middle of the main magnet and press the letter and sound are sung or you can play the whole alpabet. I would definitely recommend it. Ds2 whos 2 loves it and can sing most of the alphabet from playing with this.

Hulababy Sun 09-Jan-05 16:22:38

stripey - that sounds interesting. Where did you get it from, and how much is it? Not sure I have seen that before.

stressedmummy Sun 09-Jan-05 16:27:16

The letterland bus is good.

Bozza Sun 09-Jan-05 16:40:57

Also recommend the bath letters. However DS knew his letters before we got them because we had an alphabet puzzle - it was from M&S and is a train with one carriage for each letter of the alphabet - £6 IIRC. When DS was 2 and going through his mad puzzle phase he quickly learned all the letters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now