Talk

Advanced search

Acrylic mirrors - do they actually work?

(17 Posts)
pleasechange Sun 13-Apr-08 17:12:40

This may sound like a silly question but I'd like a mirror for baby's nursery and am considering the acrylic ones. I've never actually seen one though - do you get a proper reflection or are they pointless??

Coolmama Sun 13-Apr-08 18:31:50

what's wrong with a regular mirror?

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 13-Apr-08 19:36:35

I bought these for DS's bedroom in rockets, stars and moons - child safe and very easy to put up. Reflection is fine, usually come with a note saying not to use some cleaners on them.

pleasechange Mon 14-Apr-08 10:40:37

coolmama - nothing that I can think of. I've never had one fall off the wall and will be way to high for little one to break! I was thinking of getting normal one and then noticed all these acrylic ones and thought maybe that's what I should be doing (good marketing I suppose!)

happymummy - thanks, I've seen a couple of those and they look lovely ta. That's good to know they work

QueenGina Mon 14-Apr-08 14:28:42

sorry for hijack.
Have been wanted to get acrylic mirror for my 10 month dd for a while now (think they're safer, no?)
Have no idea where I can buy them, can either of you two, allnew or happymum help point me in right direction please?

mindalina Mon 14-Apr-08 14:29:54

DS has got a lovely plastic mirror from Ikea, it has red doors on it so he can play peekaboo with himself when he's supposed to be going to sleep hmm

I will see if I can find a link for you.

mindalina Mon 14-Apr-08 14:30:40

Aha!

Tis here

RubyRioja Mon 14-Apr-08 14:30:54

Acrylic mirors can be v good - often used in institutions esp prisons grin

QueenGina Mon 14-Apr-08 14:35:09

Wow, Minda, that was quick! I love it, dd loves to play peekaboo too and open and close doors - three toys in one! Only down side is having to go to IKEA.

Ruby - I live behind a prison, so dd will have something in common with her neighbours.

RubyRioja Mon 14-Apr-08 14:35:32

grin

mindalina Mon 14-Apr-08 16:04:52

I know, I was expecting to search for ages but I went to the Ikea website, clicked on Children and there it was! Jojomamanbebe have some as well, but they are a bit more expensive and quite girly - I remember them having a rocket shaped one but I can't find it now which is a shame. Girly ones here and here

QueenGina Mon 14-Apr-08 16:42:06

Thanks v much Minda. know what you mean about the Jojomaman ones.
Ikea definitely better, just need to brace myself for a trip to Ikea now.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 14-Apr-08 19:32:22

Had mine off here

http://www.mungaimirrors.co.uk/

QueenGina Mon 14-Apr-08 20:35:15

such good fun. spoilt for choice, and so cheap.
thanks happymummy.

CatherineYip Fri 09-Sep-16 08:48:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CatherineYip Fri 09-Sep-16 08:49:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

eclescake Wed 01-Mar-17 14:44:48

Hi

Straight from the horses mouth (so to speak) I design, make and sell both online (and in person) acrylic mirrors.
Simply put, yes they are great for kids rooms.
However, the design itself is crucial to it's life expectancy. Meaning if you have a flimsy tree with lots of thin branches for example it's not going to last long and can be a hazard for toddlers if/when it snaps. (yes they snap rather than shatter...bonus)
A circle or more solid design is the better option. Thats not to say they can not be as good.... I do many solid designs that are engraved rather than cut meaning you can have virtually any design you like with the big safety factor.

As for them being as reflective as glass mirrors.... no.
Another 'however' though is that the larger you go the more chance there is of distortion and mirrors could end up looking like the fun house wacky warped mirrors. There are ways around this (buy thicker) but generally anything up to around 45cm should be fine.

If any one needs more info regarding acrylic mirror please feel free to contact me though our website suave-petal.co.uk.

Hope i managed to answer all your questions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now