Talk

Advanced search

Need A new 'hoover' are Dysons worth the money?

(74 Posts)
THERESA Mon 03-Jan-05 06:59:21

Have always had a fairly cheap, standard upright 'hoover' which has finally packed in. I'd love a 'mega' new one but are they really worth the money? There seem so many to choose from & I notice that some other brands now do 'bagless' cleaners which are a bit cheaper. I'd definitely want an upright one, we have mainly (really grotty!) carpets at the moment, but in the future we'll probably have a mixture of carpet & laminate. As ever I'm confident there'll be loads of you out there with a useful opionion! (Have read the thread on Dyson's good customer care which is a nice change!).

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 07:05:50

I have a dyson "animal" upright. it is well worth the money. i have two dogs and it is the best hoover I have ever owned. I use it on carpet and floorboards

misdee Mon 03-Jan-05 08:03:54

i have a dyson, its now about 4-5yrs old and still works perfectly. I bought it reduced as it had been returned as a lady didnt like the colour (it was the menegitis trust one, purple and pink), so comet knowck £50 off, and i still had full garentee with it. The first day i used it i was shocked by how much it picked up. It cleared a stubborn patch of cat hair 1st time, and made my carpets look great.

My friend borrowed it last year when she looked after her parents dog, and she didnt want to give it back.

BubblesDeVere Mon 03-Jan-05 08:09:49

I have a dyson, which is on its last legs after been used nearly every day for 6 years and I DEFINATELY will be buying another one.

Kittypickle Mon 03-Jan-05 08:33:17

I'm on my second Dyson, the first I inherited when I got together with DH, the second we bought last year when we thought DS was allergic to the cat. The first was pretty OK. The second I really regret buying, doesn't get up nearly as much stuff as I hoped and my carpets never have that just hoovered look. I wish I'd bought a Miele or something else instead.

THERESA Mon 03-Jan-05 08:41:08

Thanks everyone, after only one reply at 7.00 I've been looking at price websites etc and have virtually talked myself into getting a cheaper bagless one (sanyo has one with hepa filter for £62.00ish). Now you're all replying saying how good the dysons are (apart from Kittypickle). Oh dear, what a dilema! (Pet hair not an issue, we don't have any & won't be getting one!).

TwasTheNightBeforeCatbert Mon 03-Jan-05 09:12:46

I'd really like a new hoover, but have recently been quite sucked in by those ads for the new Hoover "One"... I wonder what those are like?

Yorkiegirl Mon 03-Jan-05 09:27:09

Message withdrawn

blossom2 Mon 03-Jan-05 09:46:54

I have a Dyson motorhead , the small version and still love it 5 years on. It was great when we had cats and its great now - moved to Paris with us.

i think the customer service is good as well. i've had to call the engineer out a couple of times but replacement parts came really quickly.

i think they are well worth the money. mine was £360 at the time- latest model and all that

morningpaper Mon 03-Jan-05 09:48:06

I'd recommend the Meile Cat and Dog. They retail around 170.00 and were recommended by a recent Which? report into the subject.

Bagless hoovers aren't all they are cracked up to be - having a bag increases the efficiency of the filtration and makes emptying the cleaner much less messy.

I used to work in consumer protection and vacuum cleaners were my speciality (dull I know) and people complained about Dyson's ALL THE TIME - it was heartbreaking to read some of the letters from people who had saved up for months for this contraption which broke down all the time. Their customer service was also crap. Dysons have the highest break-down rate of all vacuum cleaners and it is expensive to have another repair bill every year.

morningpaper Mon 03-Jan-05 09:51:06

BBC report here

"The Dyson vacuum cleaner - famous for its bagless technology - is the least reliable of all upright and cylinder brands, a consumer magazine has said."

morningpaper Mon 03-Jan-05 09:54:57

I've just downloaded the latest Which? report (April 2004). They recommend:

- Bosch BSG 82000 Ergomaxx
- Meile Cat and Dog TT
- Meile Revolution 700
- Meile S571

morningpaper Mon 03-Jan-05 09:55:19

I'm obsessive about vacuum cleaners.

bonniej Mon 03-Jan-05 09:58:22

I vote for Dyson. excellent cleaner and really brings up the carpet pile

midnightmass Mon 03-Jan-05 11:05:25

Message withdrawn

bakedpotato Mon 03-Jan-05 11:25:00

we have one of the dyson uprights -- maybe 4 yrs old. lord, it's heavy. a nightmare on stair carpets.
i'd get a henry next time. our builders swear by them.

mishi1977 Mon 03-Jan-05 11:29:45

hi
we have recently bought a dyson animal from comet website..its a great hoover and was about 50 quid cheaper on web than in store and had free delivery whihc u could pick day off....before that we had a panasonice which was great as well....DH actually works for comet so'researched' the best one out of all hoovers and he said this was the one that got returned least for being broken etc....good luck in the hoover hunt

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 11:49:03

Which said the Miele S571 is actually just as good as the Cat and Dog one (and it's £50 cheaper!) You do have to buy bags but it is a very efficient design, the bags hold loads and it still cleans pretty well even when they're quite full.

The C & D has a slightly more powerful motor and a different filter - if you don't have pets then you don't need that. I have the S571, it sucks so hard it lifts the carpets and it is brilliant on laminates. I also have an upright Dyson and hardly ever use it, it is impossibly heavy for getting up and down stairs and is always making funny noises and not sucking properly.

morningpaper Mon 03-Jan-05 11:51:18

I must confess that the first time I used the Cat and Dog I ripped up half the lounge carpet.

There is a knob on the front for turning down the suction... I use that now.

Gobbledigook Mon 03-Jan-05 11:51:37

Hate my dyson - it's crap.

Had 2 now and both have broken in the same way. The one I have now I've had 2 years but for the last year I've only been able to use the attachment tube - it won't work in it's normal upright way. The suction has gone on the main bit.

I know quite a few people who have had exactly the same problem as well and tbh, I'd never buy one again.

Gobbledigook Mon 03-Jan-05 11:54:09

JanH - so the miele one you've got - you recommend that one if no pets? It's not that expensive so I'm considering it.

Slinky Mon 03-Jan-05 11:59:05

I've had 2 Dysons - and both were crap! I would never have one again.

At the moment, we've got a Hoover which is OK but am planning to replace it (nothing wrong with it though) with either a Bosch or a Miele. The Miele comes highly recommended from the chap who services all our domestic appliances - although took one look at the Dyson and said "don't ever ask me to have a look at that!".

When we had our downstairs carpets replaced last year, the people who fitted them asked me if I had a Dyson. I said I used to and went on about how crap they were - they were about to tell me that they didn't recommend the Dysons as the suction is far too powerful for most carpets and will actually ruin them.

Go for the Miele!!

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 12:07:09

Definitely, GDG, it's fantastic!

You can get it slightly cheaper at QED but they don't appear to sell the bags - Hughes do and there's no extra delivery on top of the vac so I bought 3 or 4 boxes when I got mine.

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 12:11:41

Janh happy new year!

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 12:12:42

my mum has the miele cat and dog cylinder and it is very very good

not as good as my animal though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now