Talk

Advanced search

Breadmakers again! One or two questions...

(39 Posts)
anorak Sat 01-Jan-05 12:52:54

I've looked at the archived breadmaker threads but I can't find the following answers...

Which models have pans that can be washed in the dishwasher? And which have large pans that are the traditional shape?

My old breadmaker has died and I need a new one.

I thank you x

OLittleYurtofBethlehem Sat 01-Jan-05 13:18:07

Hi anorak - we got a breadmaker for Christmas - I have loads of questions too - different to yours though

We got a panisonic SD253 - partly based on MN reccomendation - and we LOVE it - the bread cooks so well all you really need to do is wipe the pan with a cloth (you cant wash it in the sink but there is no need for all the recipies i have tried so far

It is soooooooo cool i urge you to buy one

Gobbledigook Sat 01-Jan-05 13:29:34

Ditto - got that one too and it's fab. Only need to wipe the pan!

Gwenick Sat 01-Jan-05 14:46:19

Yep can highly recommend the panasonic (not sure which one mine is could be the same one as you've mentioned - it was a joint Birthday present 2yrs ago from DH and my parents and I know it was over £100 - BUT well worth it).

Not dishwasherable - but the pan itself comes out and wipes clean - if you've made dough in it (for pizza etc) then if you leave the 'stuck' bits out in the open air for a while, they just come away easily and then you can wipe clean - highly recommended

hoxtonchick Sat 01-Jan-05 15:01:19

i've been making bread by hand recently, & it's soooooooo much nicer than the stuff i make in my bread machine. though it is a cheap one, not a panasonic, so that might make a difference. and ours is very good for pizza dough. haven't tried the pan in the dishwasher though.

Gwenick Sat 01-Jan-05 15:16:44

My mum used to bake homemade bread (and biscuits and cakes and everything else under the sun LOL) - but recently due to Parkinson's hasn't been able to. She bought a breadmaker and is just as happy with the results.

I do think the quality of bread varies GREATLY depending on the quality of the machine. DS2's godmother had an expensive one for year, it broke and she couldn't afford such a nice one, bought a cheap one and hated it, apparently the bread was awful! Recently managed to purchase a more expensive one and says you can definitely taste the difference.

JaNgLyBELLS Sat 01-Jan-05 15:58:54

Morphy Richards do one that makes traditional long loaves. I've got the Panasonic and it does make very good bread, but I don't like the squat shape of the loaf. As I say, though, the bread itself is very good.

OldieMum Sat 01-Jan-05 16:11:27

We have a panasonic and it makes excellent bread (have just made some this afternoon, in fact). I just put water in the pan afterwards to moisten the bits left over and then wipe clean. The only bit you have to wash more carefully is the inside of the paddle, where cooked bread does tend to collect. I use a skewer to loosen it and then put it under the tap.

AuntyQuated Sat 01-Jan-05 16:17:27

we had a Morphy richards and i though ti was rubbish, didn't seem able to mix everyhting from the corner, took it back and complainerd swpped it for a Breville ad very happy with it.
but it doesn't go in the dishwasher and doesn't do conventional shaped loaves. when i want that i just get the b/maker to do the dough then i put it in an ordianry loaf tin and stick it in the oven...but of course you can't wake up to that!

Shimmy21 Sat 01-Jan-05 16:39:28

Our Panasonic pan has coped happily with being regularly washed up for a couple of years now (not in dishwasher though). I think they only tell you not to wash them up to cover their own backs in case something strange happens!

ks Sat 01-Jan-05 16:49:13

Message withdrawn

JaNgLyBELLS Sat 01-Jan-05 16:54:25

Ks - I put in the same amount of sugar and salt weight for weight, as I did when I hand made bread. Much less than the panasonic recipe book states. I use 1 teaspoonful where the recipe book says 1 tablespoonful, and its fine.

codswallop Sat 01-Jan-05 16:55:22

watch you all get HUGE!!!

Gwenick Sat 01-Jan-05 17:28:43

I make all types of bread in mine - my parents got me a big book with loads of recipes (for breadmakers and from scratch) and I'm working my way through the breadmaker recipes, if ones don't go quite right I try again altering some of the ingredients (it's also got a trouble shootsection).

ks Sat 01-Jan-05 18:22:07

Message withdrawn

ks Sat 01-Jan-05 18:23:07

Message withdrawn

codswallop Sat 01-Jan-05 18:24:01

yes I am sure its much better bUt hatre the idea of MORE crap in my kitchen and also all the butter that you put o it
and having to slice it itn he morning

Gwenick Sat 01-Jan-05 18:39:41

codswallop - the last bread I made used olive oil :-)

ks Sat 01-Jan-05 18:40:38

Message withdrawn

ks Sat 01-Jan-05 18:41:49

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Sat 01-Jan-05 18:54:18

ks - I've got a book called "Bread and Bread Machines", published by Hermes House - which has lots of recipes in it. I'm gradually working my way through them trying the different recipes.

You soon get the feel for it quantities need adjusting slightly. The funniest I did was the first loaf using that book - it's got 3 sizes in the book, s, m and l - my bread maker does m, l and xl - so I did the recipe for a large from the book and put it on 'large' on my breadmaker- when I openend the breadmaker after the cycle was completey I had a 'flat' top on my loaf as it was SO big - next time I used it I used the small recipes LOL

ks Sat 01-Jan-05 19:31:07

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Sat 01-Jan-05 19:55:46

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Sat 01-Jan-05 19:56:44

LOL KS - I bet that tasted interesting LOL

hercyulelog Sat 01-Jan-05 20:16:51

Just got a panasonic and it is good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: