Talk

Advanced search

HAs anybody had a session with Venture photography?

(174 Posts)
IlanaK Sat 01-Jan-05 09:59:06

We won a prize draw for a session with them. It is tomorow and I am wondering if anyone else has done one.

Our voucher is for the session and for one photo (total cost supposedly £125). But I have my doubts now as to how legitimate the prize draw was as I saw them advertising these vouchers to give people at christmas for only £25. When I filled out the prize draw form I mentioned that we were interessed in a photo of the kids for a large space on our wall and I suspect they gave us the voucher as we were a good bet to buy something.

Anyway, has anyone experienced this company? Are we in for a hard sell tomorow? And how expensive are their photos to buy? I am guessing very expensive!

Thanks!

emmatmg Sat 01-Jan-05 10:01:38

not to hard sell IMO but it was VERY expensive.

we wanted a large one but laughed out loud when she said it was £600. Thought she was taken the piss!

we settled for a 10x8 and that was £90

misdee Sat 01-Jan-05 10:06:25

i have two. And will get another next year when #3 arrives. We have the 13x15 i think, and it cost about £230. we didnt get any hard sell, but if you go and feel like you want to s[pend more they do offer you credit (arrrrgh!!). but just be strong and stick to your budget.

At the 2nd session there were 2 other pics i wanted to get, but had to be strong as i didnt have the money. But i may phone them up later on this month and ask if i can view them again and buy smaller desk top size ones if i stil lthink they are lovely.

lockets Sat 01-Jan-05 10:08:36

Message withdrawn

misdee Sat 01-Jan-05 10:10:26

i think they said a few years. its all digital. dh atteneded the 1st session with the girls, and they gave him some thumbnail prints, which are about somewhere. i didnt get any thumbnails this time, but i suppose you could ask for some. At the viewing session they offer u a discount for purchasing there and then, so its wise to have a budget and stick to it for that. Any other pics purchased at a later date is full whack.

lockets Sat 01-Jan-05 10:11:51

Message withdrawn

Carla Sat 01-Jan-05 10:22:06

They look great, but a good friend that I fell out with the other day needed 7 people to come round to her house in order for her to receive a discount. Basically, no one wanted to order their photo's unless you're loaded, so I bowed out and it seems everyone else did too. Think it's a bit of a hard sell.

Carla Sat 01-Jan-05 10:23:20

BTW the photos we did see were fab.

misdee Sat 01-Jan-05 10:23:45

studio sessions are different tho arent they? the discount id given at the viewing. only me and dh attended it.

IlanaK Sat 01-Jan-05 10:24:57

Thanks for the replies - but I am a bit confused Carla by your post. What do you mean about 7 people to come around her house?

Also, what is the session like? I have a 3.5 year old a a 6 month old. They are insisting tha the whole family come - which we are, but I relaly only want a photo of my boys. Also, I really want it in black and white. Can you tell them what to do?

Carla Sat 01-Jan-05 10:25:26

Maybe misdee, wasn't there.XX

DoesntChristmasDragOn Sat 01-Jan-05 10:26:07

I think they put you in a white room and take millions of photos constantly whilst you muck about. That's what BIL & SIL said.

WigWamBam Sat 01-Jan-05 10:26:18

The voucher is genuine, and the photography session is great fun - you won't get any hard-sell tomorrow as it'll just be the photographer you'll see. You'll have to go back and have a viewing of your images, and although there won't be any hard-sell, they are very, very expensive - we have a large frame with three 5" x 5" shots in and it was £700. You won't be under any pressure from them to have anything other than your free one, though (which will be a 7" x 8" desk print, iirc) - but have a budget in mind for anything else you want to spend and stick to it, because you'll want the lot!

Their prices start at £90 for a desk print, a single framed 5" x 5" image is £300, and their prices go up to well over £1000 a picture depending on the range of frames you choose.

I personally wouldn't use them again, because actually getting our picture delivered was a catalogue of disasters - it was damaged, we sent it back, it came back without the frame, we sent it back, it got lost ... we finally got our picture 5 months after we ordered it (it's supposed to take 5 weeks). Our letter of complaint hasn't even been acknowledged.

WigWamBam Sat 01-Jan-05 10:27:23

You can tell them what you want, they will take pictures of you messing about and playing, but will also take shots of just the kids, if that's what you want. You can have black and white if you want.

Carla Sat 01-Jan-05 10:27:26

She'd had the initial photos done, then wanted some more. They told her if she got a group of 7 parents round, they'd give her a discount if she wanted some more.

misdee Sat 01-Jan-05 10:27:37

Venture do home parties, which i think is what carla is talking about.

with our sessin me and dh joined in the 1st few shots to settle the girls in, and then left them to it. they had great fun chucking giant balls about, building blocks, chasing each other with a giant snake etc. I suppose you could ask for some to be done in black and white, as its all digital so they can mess about with them. the other 2 pics i wanted had my dd's in black and white, and the teddy bear dd2 was holding and the blocks dd1 were playign with were in colour.

WigWamBam Sat 01-Jan-05 10:29:52

The thing about coming round to your house is after you've had your pictures - you can hold a party for your friends, who can then buy vouchers for photography sessions cheaply. If you have 7 people come, you get one free print, and then you are entitled to more free pictures depending on how many people buy the vouchers. It's not hard sell, but you will have their sales staff ringing you fequently to try and get your party booked.

puddytats Sat 01-Jan-05 10:33:07

We have used the voucher and it was great. There was no hard sell, the photos were really natural and we ended up spending far more than we were going to, not because we were pushed but because the pics were so good. Planning to do it again with #2

Carla Sat 01-Jan-05 10:34:05

They are lovely photographs, but good grief... for that money ... and I'm not exactly stingey

misdee Sat 01-Jan-05 10:35:55

But carla, i just love the pics, as it really captures my girls. the one we choose has dd1 tucking dd2 hair behind her ear and it so sweet. the ones i had done at boots etc just look awful.

Carla Sat 01-Jan-05 10:36:45

WWB, I think that's why everyone bowed out. We knew we didn't want one, we were just sacrificiny a school night to give our pal a free pic.

AzureSelfaMerryLittleChristmas Sat 01-Jan-05 10:38:23

We also ended up spending a fortune, as the pictures were so good. The session itself was a lot of fun - DS (3) really enjoyed himself. Agree with the advice about sticking to a budget. You go back later (they advise without the kids, if possible) to view the photographs taken and make a decision about which you want to buy, so there will be no "selling" tomorrow. Have fun.

Carla Sat 01-Jan-05 10:41:02

misdee, don't get me wrong ... I think they're gorgeous too! Just jealous!!!

misdee Sat 01-Jan-05 10:41:57

save up £250, and try and win a session. its well worth it!!

codswallop Sat 01-Jan-05 10:45:40

its ok but dont spend too much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now