Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which aromatherapy oils should you avoid in pregnancy?

(15 Posts)
popsycal Thu 30-Dec-04 20:28:04

Got gicen some gorgeous bath oils for xmas but unsure whether i am allowed to use them when preg....
does anyone know which oils should be avoided?

winterwarmmummer Thu 30-Dec-04 20:28:27

Juniper

bonkerz Thu 30-Dec-04 20:31:19

lavender apparently can induce a mc!

lockets Thu 30-Dec-04 20:33:31

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Thu 30-Dec-04 20:33:41

Call me over protective but I think I'd be inclined to avoid them all!

marthamoo Thu 30-Dec-04 20:34:07

Rosemary as well I think. I'd play safe and save them 'til after (when you'll have loads of time for a long soak in the bath )

popsycal Thu 30-Dec-04 20:34:12

blossomhill that was my thought too........

popsycal Thu 30-Dec-04 20:34:35

I will leave them for now.......
thanks ladies!

lockets Thu 30-Dec-04 20:35:15

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Thu 30-Dec-04 20:35:42

Just think you can use them once you have had the baby as a nice relaxing treat
I even avoided herbal tea just incase (the midwife mentioned that there were certain types you couldn't drink)

ionesmum Thu 30-Dec-04 20:36:47

It's better to stick to the ones that are really safe. Lavender and camomile are ususally recommended, and also mandarin and rose. No oils are usually regarded as safe for the first trimester. My midwife recommended lavender but only once I was six weeks' off giving birth, but many professional aromatherapists believe this to be too cautious. If in doubt, check with an aromatherapist. HTH

ionesmum Thu 30-Dec-04 20:39:31

Re herbal tea, it drives me mad to see peppermint tea recommended in magazines for morning sickness, as this is dangerous. Camomile tea is safe though, but only one cup a day. It's also great for afterwards as it's really relaxing, and if you are bfeeding it calms the baby and helps with wind - you can drink up to 3 cups a day.

popsycal Thu 30-Dec-04 20:42:40

Thanks folks!
It is Neal's yard covent garden stuff so not pure oil but oil based IYSWIM

Will save it.....

pinkmamma Thu 30-Dec-04 21:10:42

hi there, qualified aromatherapist here! firstly it should say somewhere on the label to avoid in pregnancy? definately avoid all oils in the first 3/4 months. the safest oils to use after this are mandarin and lavender. without seeing the product i would recommend leaving it until after the baby is born. if you get the chance much later in pregnancy book yourself in with a qualified and insured aromatherapist who will firstly make you feel great, and secondly will give you some advice for once you are in labour. a little pregnancy kit should definately include a bottle of clary sage essential oil which can speed up a sluggish labour

popsycal Thu 30-Dec-04 21:12:13

thanks for that pinkmamma!
that sounds great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now