Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Can anyone recommend a free anti-virus program?

(16 Posts)
OnZephyrstdayofXmas Tue 28-Dec-04 19:12:34

Preferably a really good one that won't interfere with other programs and is free to download
TIA! (Also could do with a spy-ware blocking program too)

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 19:13:18

AVG ... hang on will find a link

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 19:14:31

AVG Free Version

I run it on my laptop (because I objected to paying twice for a Norton license) and it's very good.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Tue 28-Dec-04 19:15:31

excellent thanks - is that the one with the red and white icon? My mum had one installed on here already but i wasn't sure if it was any good!!

jingleoooggs Tue 28-Dec-04 19:18:29

AVG is great and works much better than Norton - so DH says

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 19:23:45

Red, yellow, green and black icon at the moment. Don't know what the red and white one could be?

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Tue 28-Dec-04 19:29:18

excellent - will def download it (if i dont kill the computer when i try to load win2000!!!) The red and white one appears to be AntiVir (??!)

Thanks Guys!!! Does AVG stop spyware as well?

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 19:30:28

Nope... best thing for spyware is Spybot Search & Destroy because it can remove and immunise the pc against it and is all free. Link forthcoming.

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 19:31:06

Spybot

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Tue 28-Dec-04 19:33:38

Thtanks I had spybot on the other pc but i got a link from a techie who got me straight into it without signing up and it did the trick. Will have to get that one again

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 19:36:17

While you're downloading stuff, can I also recommend Firefox ?

It's a far superior webbrowser to Internet Explorer, and is much more secure against viruses and hackers.

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 19:36:31

... and it's also free.

SantaQuated Tue 28-Dec-04 19:42:18

Georgina recommended Firefox some time ago and we now use it. BRILL - not had any virus/worms etc since.
thnbaks G

SPARKLER1clausiscomingtotown Tue 28-Dec-04 19:47:54

Don't know much about this stuff shall pass you over to dh .....................

Spybot's good - I usually run it alongside Ad-Aware, and between the two of them they trap just about everything. As far as free anti-virus scanners go, you can go to a few places on the web and run a free virus scan - try

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

SPARKLER1clausiscomingtotown Tue 28-Dec-04 19:48:57

hope it helps - he's a software engineer so he's got knowledge of this stuff

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 28-Dec-04 20:21:17

BTW, if you get on with firefox - I've just downloaded their mail programme (Thunderbird . It looks really good - inbuilt spam protection, good filing system (I have so many email accounts this is vital for me) and again less likely to get viruses than Outlook.

Will let you know how I get on with it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: