Advanced search

desparate search for Curtain rings

(9 Posts)
Nattie Tue 28-Dec-04 12:00:43

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me.

We recently moved into a house which has a cast iron curtain rail in the front bay window. The trouble is it appears to be fixed solid with no visible means of putting on additional rings. Does anybody know of a source of metal rings which clip or stretch open and shut - a bit like the rings you get on key rings. I've got clippy rings from Woolworths for the shower curtain but they look too much like shower curtain rings to put in the sitting room!

Any ideas very welcome.

Thank you.

cupcakes Tue 28-Dec-04 12:23:39

Don't know if this is any good but the Iron Bed Company does some curtain poles and they may know of a solution

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 28-Dec-04 12:42:51

Does the pole not unscrew from the brackets or the finials come off? The iron poles I've had, you removed a finial and pushed the pole through the bracket to gain access to the end so you could slide the rings on OR you unscrewed them from the bracket, removed the finial....

Nattie Tue 28-Dec-04 15:57:11

No, DoesntChristmasDragOn, the finials are welded on! I don't know why. I've got some rather gorgeous red velvet curtains which are quite heavy and need a lot of rings to hold them up but there are only ten rings to hold the curtains up.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 28-Dec-04 17:25:42

A hacksaw might do it Seems really bad planning to make a pole where you can't get the rings on or off!

I have a niggling feeling there was a thread on MN about this once and there were indeed "clip on" curtain rings you could clip round the pole.

lyndap Tue 28-Dec-04 17:32:20

The things I think you might need are called passing rings or c rings. We had a cast iron bay window pole made and these came with it - they allow you to pull the curtains around the pole in site of the fixings to the wall. I used a company recommended by a Mumsnetter - they are based in Uddingston (Glasgow) and called KA International - I think they have stores in other bits of the UK, too.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 28-Dec-04 17:32:40

OK, what you need are /link{\passing rings.} They're C shaped rather than O and are designes to pass over the brackets (eg in a bay where there are more brackets to get in the way). you can just hook them over your fixed pole

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 28-Dec-04 17:32:56

Passing rings

Nattie Wed 29-Dec-04 09:47:13

thank you - I'll investigate these.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: