Talk

Advanced search

Which first shoe?

(22 Posts)
pixiefish Thu 23-Dec-04 16:47:08

Will be buying dd's first pair of shoes in the New Year as she has been walking for a couple of weeks now and by then it'll be 6 weeks ish.

I know about clarks- kids have their feet measured etc but feel that they don't have much choice of style in the first shoe- all they have is a boot, trainer or 2 shoes.

Does anyone know of any other brand of childrens shoe that are the same quality or better than clarks?
Thank you

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 16:49:34

Start Rite are supposedly good. (I am an exclusively Clarks mum). You used to be able to buy them in Adams but I don't know any more. I believe they have a nicer range than Clarks.

stressedmummy Thu 23-Dec-04 16:51:24

Start rite have more selection than clarkes & are very well made, although a little more costly.
I have also bought my ds's buckle my shoe, shoes.
They are quite a bit more expensive, but you get a great selection of really different shoes.
These makes also have a proper measuring service.

WigWamBam Thu 23-Dec-04 16:58:52

I started out in Start Rite, but then dd's feet got too wide and I went to Clarkes. I found Clarke's first shoes much softer on little feet than Start Rite, and the range of sizes is better (although there is very little choice of style available in the widest fittings)

lockets Thu 23-Dec-04 17:12:03

Message withdrawn

Enideepmidwinter Thu 23-Dec-04 17:30:04

I bought dd2 clarks First Shoes (after being a Buckle My Shoe snob) and was very impressed with them (very soft and you can put them in the machine!).

Now both girls wear Buckle My shoe as they both have very narrow feet - and we live near the factory shop

pixiefish Thu 23-Dec-04 19:02:57

Ta, have looked at the start rite website and though I'm sure their shoes are fab I do think that the clarks ones are kinder as a first shoe in that they're not as stiff.

Davrosthesnowwoman Sun 26-Dec-04 15:15:38

We've had a lot of Ricosta from an independent shoe shop, they are lovely.

Clayhead Sun 26-Dec-04 15:22:32

Ricosta are great.

I agree that Clarks styles are very pink and girlie, my dd doesn't really wear pink and so they are no use to me. I have also found that I was going to Clarks and they never had what I wanted in stock for ds so now I go to my indepedent shop, a few quid dearer but a lot less hassle.

geekgrrl Sun 26-Dec-04 15:28:47

I really like Elephanten - for a first shoe particularly. Start Rights are a lot stiffer, Clarks can be a bit naff.... Elephanten are beautifully soft and have continental styling. Agree that Ricosta are also excellent, Richter are lovely too. You really can't go wrong with the German shoe brands available in the UK.

pixiefish Sun 26-Dec-04 15:30:24

Have tried to look for them on the www to try and find a local stockist but the website is in german. does anyone have a brochure for any of them with a british internet address?
Ta

codswallop Sun 26-Dec-04 15:30:51

I cnat believe you all have shoe policies ad opinions ont his
I gett he shoe I liek and that fits!

get very annoyes wiht mUmsn shops who spend hours choosing
we are in and out in 20 mins and thats for allt hree

Yorkiegirl Sun 26-Dec-04 15:32:20

Message withdrawn

LIZS Sun 26-Dec-04 15:33:01

We've had Ricosta (1st shoe range is Pepino)Richter and Elefanten, which come in 3 widths. Tend to be lace-ups rather than buckles at this time of year though.

Yorkiegirl Sun 26-Dec-04 15:33:06

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Sun 26-Dec-04 16:10:03

I don't have a problem with Clarks being too girlie either. My dd would kill for a pair of pink or purple shoes, but the only ones that ever fit her are black or navy.

We're always in and out in a few minutes, too, because there are so few styles available in wide fittings that we always end up with the single pair that they have in stock that fits her.

cranberryjampot Sun 26-Dec-04 16:13:28

Baby Elefanten used to be lovely - dont know if they're still around as dd now is a Faith lass

cranberryjampot Sun 26-Dec-04 16:18:23

Daisy Roots are also very cute but probably not appropriate

Hayls Sun 26-Dec-04 16:36:40

another clarks fan here, dd just got her first cruisers. agree the renage isn;t that wide but I'm not bothered as long as they fit!

Hayls Sun 26-Dec-04 16:37:03

'range' I mean

Minstrel Sun 26-Dec-04 16:56:15

My dd scuffs/scrapes new shoes within 2 seconds of putting them on outside. Because of this I have only ever bought navy or black and I do feel mean because as Wigwambam said my dd would also love to have red/pink/purple and the more girlie the better!! Having said that we did try "coloured" shoes when she was younger but could never find polish to cover them, at least in navy/black that kidstuff polish with the spongy top is fantastic!!

SmokedSamN Sun 26-Dec-04 23:42:17

Just like to add my vote for Ricosta. The leather in the Pepino range is lovely and soft, far better than Clarks or StartRite imho. We go to an independent shop as well, as both the Clarks and Start Rite shoe measurers seem to underestimate the width of my son's shoes. (I guess they must put the tape across a part which isn't the widest part of his foot.)

There's an association of independent shoe retailers and they have a website where you can search for your nearest one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: