Talk

Advanced search

Silver Cross linear freeway/3d or new pliko switch? Anyone made a decision/tried them out?

(15 Posts)
tab Mon 10-Mar-08 10:48:09

Such indecision. Expecting third child. want smallest most adaptable combination - obviously lightest and easy to fold with reversible option suitable for newborn up to toddler. not that fussed about car seat fitting on but would be useful sometimes as long as dont have to dissassemble whole pram to click it onto bare chassis. Looking at above two. Please help - had a Jane Carerra before but feel its just a little too big to use from newborn and dont want fuss of having to attach separate carrycot thing every time we get out of the car.

tab Tue 11-Mar-08 11:24:01

bump! Can anyone a brilliant newborn pram?

tab Tue 11-Mar-08 11:24:01

bump! Can anyone a brilliant newborn pram?

lydiathetattooedlady Tue 11-Mar-08 12:59:30

im also intereseted in a linear freeway by silver cross, gave up on a small buggy for the car! but im struggling to find what people think of them. my dd is nearly one and i want a nice comfy pushchair, but wanted to see if they're easy to push or if at this age they're too heavy??!!

lydiathetattooedlady Tue 11-Mar-08 13:00:54

ooh by the way i did have a 3d for when she was born but i didnt like it that i couldnt see plus i was walking a lot and it was heavy, but i thought that maybe with the linear having suspension wheels it may feel lighter to push??
the only good thing about 3d is that it folds in one piece!

tab Tue 11-Mar-08 14:29:31

lydia, does the linear freeway not fold in one piece? I was trying to work out the difference between that and the 3d. Id really like to hear from someone who has got the new pliko switch as well. The linear freeway looked attractive because its so light but if it doesnt fold all in one, then thats out straightaway!!

lydiathetattooedlady Tue 11-Mar-08 14:31:43

no it folds in two bits which is a pain but for me i'd only be using it for walikng but dont know which chassis would be better linear or classic!

tab Tue 11-Mar-08 15:01:37

Oh thanks for that lydia. There was mention of some problems with the linear chassis cracking, maybe because its lighter it might not be as sturdy although the wheels on the classic look bigger - which can also be a prob. Its a different construction isnt it so its probably worth looking at whether that makes a difference to open/closing and size. Its impossible to make a decision from the website. I think the 3d probably does all I want it to do except that the pushchair is only forward facing. Im just asking too much perhaps. I dont fully understand the pliko switch so Im hoping someone can fill me in on that in terms of whether you have to take it apart and whether suitable from birth without added carrycot.

Minniethemoocher Thu 14-Aug-08 22:52:43

Bump! (A growing bump in my case!) wink

You seemed to have dismissed the Linear Freeway but as I have one, I'll just throw in my opinion. Yes it comes in 2 peices, the "wheels" (chassis for it's posh name) and the main body. When DD was smaller I didn't have an issue with that as I would just clip the car seat on if we went out in the car (the body wouldn't fit in the boot along with the wheels). However now she's older (22m) I have switched to a cheap umbrella buggy for out and about in the car. Still use the Linear though at least once a week when walking into town. Still plenty of room in the buggy for DD, and although pram feels wide, it's smaller in width than a Quinny, and has more room for the child. The shopping basket underneath is very big and strong. Not had any probs with cracking chassis.

My friend has got the 3D and looking at it I keep feeling jealous and thinking the folding down as one would have been an advantage. Only facing forward pushchair wouldn't have been a problem for us, as soon as DD could sit upright I had her turned forwards as she wanted to see what was going on.

Minniethemoocher Fri 15-Aug-08 21:08:21

Yes, I am rather torn between whether a rear facing pushchair is worth having or will my baby want to face out when s/he gets older?

I have a medium sized car boot.

MrsSprat Fri 15-Aug-08 21:16:21

love my 3D, a bit on the heavy side - 10 KG (but no more so than others - Bug/Quin et al). It folds down brilliantly and can stand-up well when folded. Would fit in a VW Golf car. Pram format lasts for about 5 months, by which time DD anxious to see what was going on. There's always carseat mode if you are desperate for eye-contact, but personally I think it's overrated, and a bit obsessive wink

JoyS Sat 16-Aug-08 09:43:50

Putting my 2 cents in: the Pliko Switch is the best buggy EVER. Super easy to turn the seat around, easy to push, folds up small. The seat is really comfortable, my 2yo loves it and my newborn is really cosy in it with a fleece blanket for padding. It's compact but the seat is big enough for a toddler to stretch out in and I love having DD1 face me.

It folds with the seat facing either direction and has a nice big basket. I wish I'd had it when DD1 was a newborn!

becaroo Sat 16-Aug-08 09:57:47

Just got my silvercross 3d in jet - very pleased with it. I dont think its that heavy, but then I had a "proper" pram with ds which really was heavy (I didnt have a car back then)

The 3d was on offer at mothercare not long ago - I got the whole system for £345 which includes things ike raincover and changing bag that you have to buy seperately with a lot of the other products - I thought it was a pretty good price. (mind you it is only £400 full price)

I like the freeway too, but its much more bulky and heavy than the 3d IMO.

Minniethemoocher Sat 16-Aug-08 15:38:44

Well, I have finally decided and I have bought a M&P Pilko Plus, rear facing in carrycot mode, forward facing in pushchair mode. Folds up with the carrycot in place, reasonably lightweight AND will fit in the boot of my car!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now