Talk

Advanced search

London ladies (or other City dwellers)...If budget were no issue what pushchair / pram would you choose?

(54 Posts)
Skyler Mon 01-Oct-07 21:09:47

Doing some homework for a dear friend who is yet to be convinced to try the joys of MN. She has 6 weeks before her baby is due and is now choosing her buggy. She lives in a flat in London and has an unlimited budget courtesy of the in laws yay!
So what pram / pushchair would you choose. She is looking at the Bugaboo chameleon, but had only spoken to a few people so far....
I would say it needs to be light to get up and down flat stairs and prob fold relatively small. Will obv need to lie flat for newborn and I am sure she will want it to face her.
I have to disappear to watch episode of 24 with DH now, who has been waiting, but will check in tomorrow. Hope you can help, thank you.

TheBlonde Mon 01-Oct-07 21:16:31

Other London mates have had the bug and were happy

I still don't get this baby facing you obsession. If she can get over that I'd recommend a Maclaren techno

Does she use the bus?

artichokes Mon 01-Oct-07 21:18:59

Bugaboos are neither light nor small when folded. If those are her priorities tell her not to go for the Bugaboo. However if she wants a nice looking pram with great steering then she should go for it.

fondant4000 Mon 01-Oct-07 21:21:52

maclaren quest - also great for the tube

Alambil Mon 01-Oct-07 21:27:58

How about a Quinny Buzz plus carrycot or Loola plus cc ?

a new silver cross?

Skyler Mon 01-Oct-07 21:30:58

I agree the Bugaboo is not the best choice for her, but wanted to give her some alternatives. Yes to bus, but also drives. She has this unlimited budget too and I think wants to use it. I am going to def recommend a Maclaren anyway but is there a pram style pushchair that would be any good?? Def wants baby facing esp while small.

Skyler Mon 01-Oct-07 21:32:14

Quinny! My friend had one and I loved it...compatible with the Maxi cosi car seat too isn't it???
Anyway I really am going now. Thanks for help so far.

Susianna Mon 01-Oct-07 21:33:06

Bug is beautiful no doubt but it can prove short in head height when baby is about 2yo.
My favourites are (heavy) Emmaljunga prams, not much good for a flat though...
Jane (something like the Nomad - big seat, lightweight) with a carrycot you attach, which is also a car seat - Auto pro or something - that way she can lift the baby downstairs and attach cot to frame at the bottom. Or vice versa.

Jane's are expensive and great quality.
Maclarens are nice and versatile but not great once your child is heavier, around 3yo.
Also very bumpy for a newborn.

Yep, I'd say Jane especially as they are one of the lightest buggies to lift smile

Alambil Mon 01-Oct-07 21:33:22

no idea if it is complete but there is no budget wink lol

Alambil Mon 01-Oct-07 21:34:32

my cousin had a Jane Matrix thingymajig with 3 wheels and the lie-flat carseat/carrycot = was amazingly light

NKF Mon 01-Oct-07 21:36:07

A sling and a borrowed pram for the first six months. And then a McClaren.

Skyler Mon 01-Oct-07 21:37:03

I said Jane to her too but then couldn't remember the rest. These were all my dream prams (as out of budget for me) and it is a couple of years since I was looking.
So:
Quinny Buzz + cc
Loola
Jane Nomad
Maclaren
Bugaboo hmm
Great, anymore????

Skyler Mon 01-Oct-07 21:38:31

Ah but NKF she has money to spend on this her PFB. I wouldn't borrow a pram, but would want to get value for money.

NKF Mon 01-Oct-07 21:54:11

The McClarens are great value for money. They're light, they fold easily, you can manouevre them on and off public transport. They go in the back of even tiny cars.

Skyler Tue 02-Oct-07 09:53:33

Bump for the morning crowd smile.

pistachio Tue 02-Oct-07 10:14:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Skyler Tue 02-Oct-07 15:40:24

Good advice, thank you.

primigravida Tue 02-Oct-07 15:44:33

My bugaboo gecko is very light and much easier to get up and down stairs than other push-chairs/prams. It also folds up reasonably small, turns in the tiniest of spaces, comes with a great carrycot, and faces me...and it's beautiful and green.

CarGirl Tue 02-Oct-07 15:51:45

Absolutely definately the bugaboo bee, it is very light folds easily and quickly and I it seems to have some sort of insert you can get to make it more pram like. She may have to import from the US if baby is due in 6 weeks as think they're not out here until Dec?

Skyler Tue 02-Oct-07 16:08:50

There is a Bugaboo BEE???? Her PIL have a home in Chicago so that could be easier than it sounds. What a great tip! Thank you.

preggersagain Tue 02-Oct-07 16:14:47

bug bee is soo ugly though

<<preggers runs and hides to avoid things being thrown at her grin>>

Jane are great with the auto pro carrycot etc, also the new chicco trio perfect for london, stokke xplory takes stairs in its stride and the new version is super lightweight!

Paddlechick666 Tue 02-Oct-07 16:28:28

2nd the comment about a sling and then a mclarent.

i've had the techno xt from birth which has been great alongside various slings and carriers.

i do lust after Stokke Xplory things tho hmm

if i was buying again i'd go for something that reverses to face parent and outside world and is high up too.

Skyler Tue 02-Oct-07 16:28:29

Oooh a few more for the list. This is fun. Chicco trio you say....off to google.

CarGirl Tue 02-Oct-07 16:29:01

Having used a Bee and a Frog though I have to say that Bee is the perfect city flat deweller compromise, you can use it as a travel system and the bumf that came with it said about a cosy insert for newborns. Rear or forward facing, adjustable height handlebar, large hood, steerable one handed with a 2 year old in it, amazing suspension on all wheels, no air tyres so no punctures. Shopping basket good size too.

Skyler Tue 02-Oct-07 16:30:05

Yes I think the Bee is too low for my preference, but then I had an old style Silver Cross in the end.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now