Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Need New Tumble Dryer - Recommendations please

(26 Posts)
Kayleigh Wed 13-Oct-04 21:46:03

Our tumble dryer is dying a slow death. We are having to put it on for longer and longer to get clothes dry. The current one is a Zanussi and we have had it about 9 years. Anyone bought one recently and can recommend a model ?
And can anyone recommend any white goods internet sites ??

Thanks

unicorn Wed 13-Oct-04 21:51:41

we are currently looking for one.. seem to be loads around - we need a condenser dryer (more expensive than vented I think).. if i could do links (I will learn- I promise) i would stick in Lx direct.co.uk.

I think the prices look about ok.. but maybe there are cheaper ones (have you done a kelkoo search?)

lulupop Wed 13-Oct-04 21:55:34

We've got a great one from Bosch, whicn we bought here - they wer eso good and so much cheaper than everwhere else, we also got out washing machine, dishwasher, fridge and hob from them.

Amfs Wed 13-Oct-04 21:55:58

Just bought a Zanussi condensing dryer and I love it

Amfs Wed 13-Oct-04 21:57:03

Zanussi TCE 7124 .. got it from comet

Kayleigh Wed 13-Oct-04 22:10:03

now i'm confused. please explain difference between condensor and vented ????

unicorn Wed 13-Oct-04 22:13:14

Warning... a VERY non technical explanation!!!

the vented one has a pipe that has to go outside the house (either through a wall, or just placed outside)

the condenser has it all built in (???)

er.. I think.

Kayleigh Wed 13-Oct-04 22:16:25

Ahhh I see. Ours is next to the wall and the wall has a hole so would be vented I assume.
Thanks unicorn.

JanH Wed 13-Oct-04 22:27:50

Condenser turns the steam into water and keeps it in a pot, kayleigh. You have to empty it regularly.

Mine is a Creda vented, have had them for years but don't recommend this latest one because

a) it has a v small opening and the rubber seal keeps pulling off when I pull out a lump of clothes and it is not easy to put back on and

b) the filter is a squarish lumpy thing that fits into the front just below the opening and it is b awkward to move.

Bear with me and I will have a look at which.

JanH Wed 13-Oct-04 22:32:46

For vented, Which recommend an AEG - the T37320 - £450 it says (WHAT????)

Oh, well, my Creda was only about £150 so I can live with its drawbacks! It works OK anyway.

Have a look at Comet - excellent site for comparing features.

Kayleigh Wed 13-Oct-04 22:32:48

thanks janh, that'd be great. From what you've said it's definitely the vented one I need.

Kayleigh Wed 13-Oct-04 22:33:12

HOW MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kayleigh Wed 13-Oct-04 22:34:30

will check out the comet site tomorrow as am falling asleep at the pc thanks for your help. nighty night.

bobs Wed 13-Oct-04 23:21:30

Whe we bought a new washing machine and tumble dryer, we were told, spend the money on the first and get a cheap second as all dryers work in the same way and don't have many parts (IYSWIM)We bought a Whirlpool Creations, abou £150 and no problems after 5+yrs.
Have a look in the shops, note the model nos, then search on sites like pricerunner, dealtime, kelkoo checkaprice etc (all comparison sites for various things)

Snugs Thu 14-Oct-04 11:11:38

Can't recommend any particular models but from an economy point of view - think gas.

My sil owns a 12 bedroom hotel (LOTS of linen) and swears by her gas powered dryers. Changed from electric last year and has saved a fortune.

catgirl Thu 14-Oct-04 11:28:13

we have a Zanussi (can't remember model), bought 2.5 years ago - v. good so far, especially at one point it was hardly ever off as we dried nappies in it. We did get a vented one, but bought a condenser box - just to add that to the mix!

Kayleigh Thu 14-Oct-04 12:35:46

ok, am comparing on comet site. What is sensor drying ????? And is it worth having ???

handbagaddiction Thu 14-Oct-04 12:47:36

I use the sensor drying option all the time on ours. You bascially stick all the wet clothes in, determine how 'dry' you want them (ours has 3 options - cupboard dry, hanger dry and one other which I can't remember), switch it on and it carries on drying until it 'thinks' that they're dried to the level you selected! I think it's great as you don't need to keep going back to check whether the clothes have finished?!

Hope that makes sense!!

codswallop Thu 14-Oct-04 12:48:36

ditto basic creda reversair
i bought it ont he phone form john lewis!

Kayleigh Thu 14-Oct-04 13:01:10

janH, have found that AEG model for £273 at Appliance bargains website. Bit of a difference !!

Another question. A lot of the 6kg models have a big white door (non porthole type!) but it doesn't show which way it opens. Does it open left to right/right to left or top to bottom. It makes a difference as our tumble sits on shelf above washing machine and not sure i could reach inside door to get clothes out if top to bottom.
Thanks for all this help.

codswallop Thu 14-Oct-04 13:09:37

ring JL

princesspeahead Thu 14-Oct-04 13:18:23

bosch are very good. had one going constantly all day for the last 7 years (or so it seems) and it hasn't broken yet!

JanH Thu 14-Oct-04 13:35:17

kayleigh, looking at the comet site that AEG is hinged on the right. Don't know if they're reversible like fridges?

codswallop Thu 14-Oct-04 13:36:06

and royal vestments take some drying

Kayleigh Thu 14-Oct-04 13:37:08

didn't realise you could put ermine in a tumble dryer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: