Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to Barbie

(32 Posts)
Twirl Fri 21-Sep-07 21:03:05

Hi, I am looking for some advice on fashion dolls for a 4 year old. I have bought my daughter a fashion dollshouse for her birthday and now need to get some dolls to go with it. The house is 3 storys high and takes an average size doll (9 inches-13 inches), ie your barbie equivalent. I am not a big fan of barbie as she seems so 'grown up'. Can anyone suggest any alternatives please?

chankins Fri 21-Sep-07 21:07:34

Sorry I can't think of any - IMO Barbie is much more innocent and suitable for that age than most of the alternatives ie Bratz. You can get princess themed Barbies, Career Girl Barbies etc. I'm sure someone else will know of better alternatives! my dds are currently madly into poly pocket and strawberry shortcake..

lucykate Fri 21-Sep-07 21:09:31

what about the disney princess dolls?, same size as barbie but a bit more 'innocent' iykwim

Spidermama Fri 21-Sep-07 21:14:33

I've never found a suitable alternative tbh. There's a hole in the market for someone.

janeitebus Fri 21-Sep-07 21:14:56

When dd1 was around that age, my sister got her a "bendy" fashion doll - either Barbie or Sindy - she was dressed in old-fashioned pyjamas and was very sweet compared to some of them. The Disney Shop dolls are quite nice too. And I agree with Chankins that I'd choose Barbie over Bratz any day!

Spidermama Fri 21-Sep-07 21:15:27

There really needs to be an updated girl/woman doll. Barbie is ridiculous and the princesses are puke-inducing. It's very bad for our girls.

southeatsastras Fri 21-Sep-07 21:18:53

lisa simpson designed a good dolly. can't remeber her name though, though i can remember malibu stacey hmm

i have boys, but the dr who figures are quite good. son has a dr who dolly that he loves to dress up. (though his leg fell off and is now fixed with duck tape)

chankins Fri 21-Sep-07 21:23:11

I don't worry about my girls and their dolls - me and my sisters played with cindy and barbie and we've all turned out to be independent, strong-minded women with our own careers, opinions etc. Before I had kids I hated barbie and co and swore I'd never let a dd of mine have one - it was my dear sis that bought her her first one because she's sat and played endlessly with her cousins one day. Like all things, the phase passed, and tbh both my dds are pretty tomboyish really. They have a few Bratz bought for them by relatives - but they weren't played with much and certainly haven't done any harm. Chill out about girls dolls people.

Roseylea Fri 21-Sep-07 21:23:48

I'm quite taken by these "This is Me" dolls here THey are less anotomically improbable than Barbies! smile

lucykate Fri 21-Sep-07 21:25:24

the bendy doll could be betty spaghetti maybe?

my mum bought a bratz doll for dd, i gave it to charity but dd was so upset it had gone missing wink that my mum got her 2 more angry

she now has an increasing collection including a bratz pixie, which she sleeps with every night, and a pixie pony hmm

lucykate Fri 21-Sep-07 21:27:54

my last post makes me sound like a right lentil weaver whose dd should only be playing with environmentally friendly wooden dolls with knitted clothes grin

southeatsastras Fri 21-Sep-07 21:31:22

wooden spoon dolls are the way to go

Twirl Fri 21-Sep-07 22:59:50

Wow, thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to do some web browsing now for all your ideas.

melpomene Fri 21-Sep-07 23:25:29

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but the Barbie and Me doll is much less objectionable than the 'standard' Barbie, and doesn't have the comedy breasts or minuscule feet of the standard version.

Twirl Sat 22-Sep-07 00:28:59

oooo, I do prefer the barbie & me doll, much more 'girl next door' looking. Thanks!

Califrau Sat 22-Sep-07 00:53:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janeitebus Sat 22-Sep-07 15:15:31

Deffo not Betty Spaghetti - it was a Barbie or Sindy doll with plastic hands and feet but a soft, bendy body and lovely snuggly PJs!!! Have had a google but can't find one to show sorry.

MilaMae Sun 23-Sep-07 21:48:29

I think ELC have just bought out some nice looking fashion dolls for their fashion dolls house.

DANCESwithHughJackman Sun 23-Sep-07 21:51:15

I hate barbie angry

Hulababy Sun 23-Sep-07 21:52:54

Disney Princess?

Or you can just buy non-Barbie fashion type dolls. TBH though they just look like Barbie to me, as do most of the princess ones too once not in a princess dress.

Hate Bratz myself - lucnkily so does DD.

MilaMae Sun 23-Sep-07 21:58:02

Just looked, the ELC ones are called Bendy Belles £10 each and look lovely.

WestCountryLass Sun 23-Sep-07 22:23:36

You can get a Toy Story Jess doll

Yurtgirl Sun 23-Sep-07 22:27:07

I utterly dislike barbie too - I will do my utmost to ensure my dd never has one!

What about lilly dolls?
I will try to do a link!

Yurtgirl Sun 23-Sep-07 22:29:17

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=toys-uk&field-keywords=lily%20doll&results-proc ess=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-2_toys-uk_200084918_1&results-process=default

Yurtgirl Sun 23-Sep-07 22:29:41

Oh pants i cant get the hang of the new links method blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now