Talk

Advanced search

Would you recomend an Ice cream machine please

(10 Posts)
bananaknickers Fri 21-Sep-07 10:03:09

Thats it really. I fancy getting one but I as always would like to get one recomended by mumsnetters. Here's my needs and questions

We are a family of five so need quite a large one

Are you able to make it and then freeze in another tub or dose it have to be eaten straight away?

I have seen one by Pannosonic that makes it when in the freezer. Any good?

Do they really save you money?

Thanks

bananaknickers Fri 21-Sep-07 12:08:58

Anyone?

choosyfloosy Fri 21-Sep-07 12:20:23

Had an ice-cream maker - don't know if it's the same thing?

The only one I had, had one bowl, which had to be in the freezer for a few hours before you used it. I rarely bothered and wouldn't recommend it. The bowl took up huge amounts of space too, although if you have a big freezer this won't be an issue.

You don't have to eat it straight away.

If you spend a lot of money on good quality icecream now, then I suppose you might save money, esp if you look out for fruit gluts. Also possibly handy for parties - children's or adults.

TBH there are quite a lot of ice-cream recipes that you don't need a maker for - Nigel Slater has a banana icecream one that involves mixing bananas, cream and sugar and putting them in a plastic box - it only requires one stir an hour or so later - considerably less faff than a maker.

LizP Fri 21-Sep-07 12:38:36

I have an attachment for my kenwood chef that works pretty well. You have to freeze the bowl in advance but then when it is made you can either eat it or put it into another tub and pop in the freezer.

SueW Fri 21-Sep-07 12:48:08

I've got one a bit like this. We have made beautiful ice cream in it but it doesn't make very much - I think your family of five might be a bit frustrated, tbh!

The upfront cost of something like that is huge and then there are the ingredients and the time it takes to make the ice cream (our favourite choc ice cream involves dark choc, cream and making a proper custard, then about 20 mins of churning) and a drop of vodka in between the bowl and the machine.

You can buy a lot of Ben and Jerrys on special offer for the same price.

I have made in advance for dinner parties and then frozen in a plastic tub so perhaps you could have an 'ice cream' day, like a baking day and prepare quantities in advance.

bananaknickers Fri 21-Sep-07 13:22:28

Thanks for your replies. I will have a look for some recipes that can be made without a machine I think smile. Wonder if there is a site full of them? Off to look now

SueW Fri 21-Sep-07 15:20:04

Good Housekeeping tested them in August.

Pixel Mon 24-Sep-07 00:29:17

My dad bought us an ice-cream maker 2 years ago and it's still in the box blush. Reading the instructions and lists of required ingredients was enough to put me off. Plus, as someone else said, you need plenty of freezer space which we haven't got.

EricL Mon 24-Sep-07 00:35:18

Sainsburys make some good ones

steph61 Wed 31-Oct-12 14:00:29

Anyone know where I can hire a soft ice cream machine for my daughter's 13th birthday party? North Kent area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now