Advanced search

swing to sooth 8 week old baby..

(24 Posts)
bumbly Tue 18-Sep-07 21:29:15

are they bad? good?

any good ones to recommend me?

hugs

mindalina Tue 18-Sep-07 21:31:07

Oh they are WONDERFUL. We were lucky and were given one, it was the best thing we had for ds. It was absolute magic, used to calm and send him to sleep within five minutes, pure magic.

FLIER Tue 18-Sep-07 21:32:19

I'm selling one for £15 if you're interested

FLIER Tue 18-Sep-07 21:32:49

it was used for my 2dcs and was fantastic

bumbly Tue 18-Sep-07 21:35:32

which one have you got?

FLIER Tue 18-Sep-07 21:38:11

Its the Graco Playtime swing, has head hugger, 6 speeds, 4 seat positions, music, playtray, doesn't have the mobile though, lost the arm for it.
Runs on 4 D batteries

bumbly Tue 18-Sep-07 21:40:12

i live to far away from you but thanks so so so much for offer!!!!

why do people say they are bad to use btw

FLIER Tue 18-Sep-07 21:41:43

I never heard they were bad to use, altho they say that baby walkers are.

bumbly Tue 18-Sep-07 21:47:42

ok thanks and lucky you living in the highlands!!!

wink

NoviceKnitter Wed 19-Sep-07 16:17:52

Ooh - I'd like one of those, but haven't seen them around. Anywhere other than Mamas and papas do them?

Peachy Wed 19-Sep-07 16:19:01

Fabulous! DS1 was only 13.5 months when ds2 came along, and it meant we could get some 1-1 time with ds1 (or ds2, as ds1 smalle nough to go in our ld and therefore massive version)

Woudl recommend

TheApprentice Wed 19-Sep-07 16:20:46

we got ours( a Graco Baby Einstein ) from the Kiddicare website with 10% off. DS had colic and it was a Godsend, only thing that would soothe him.

lemonaid Wed 19-Sep-07 16:36:01

We used the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders one (on the most vigorous swing setting and the "shhh...shhh..." noise.

Pre-DS I was blush very anti-swings, but he was a baby who Would Not Nap. At all. Or, at least, not for more than 20 minutes while being held (in fact my first and very anguished post on MN was about that when he was 7 weeks).

I got the swing and could half-swaddle DS, jiggle him to sleep, and put him in the swing where he would nap (never got to the point where he'd actually go to sleep in it, or indeed deign to sit in it at all when awake). It transformed my life -- pre-swing I know my mother and MIL were convinced I was developing PND, but I was just so TIRED. Within days of getting the swing people were saying to me "Wow, you look so much better!" (OK, probably not tactful, but true).

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child says they are bad because the child doesn't sleep as deeply in them as in a cot. To which I said Pshaw given that without it my child didn't sleep at all, and any sleep had to be deeper than none. Harvey Karp (Happiest Baby on the Block, etc.) is very keen on them, though.

Crocky Wed 19-Sep-07 18:37:17

Not all babies like them so beware.
My dd absolutely hated every second in hers.

LIZS Wed 19-Sep-07 18:59:46

Worth looking 2nd hand - they don't get a lot of use so don't get tatty.

amidaiwish Wed 19-Sep-07 19:23:26

DD1 adored hers, i often used to put her down in it in the middle of the night, wait til she dropped off and then transferred her if i just couldn't get her down.

DD2 hated it however.

DD1 is now a fantastic sleeper, sleeps through etc, DD2 is a real up and downer, wanting milk etc.. so it certainly didn't harm DD1 imo.

i would say that if you do buy one, then get one that is movable as the full size ones take up a lot of room and if your baby likes it you may need to take it to other people's houses (DD1 was always WORSE when we were at someone else's). Also get one without a front bar or a bar that opens so you can move them easily if they fall asleep.

This is a good one fisher price

bumbly Wed 19-Sep-07 21:48:18

thanks so much - went an ordered a Fisher price one...lets hope it helps settle LO!!!!!!!!!

bumbly Thu 20-Sep-07 18:57:15

well it arrived and my what a waste of money

feel really frauded...as setting number one is far too violent for my liking - am surprised fisher price get away with it

too high a setting - i thougbht it would be a GENTLE swing not a bloody fairground attraction

so i put baby to test and screemed from instant the swing started

amidaiwish Thu 20-Sep-07 22:33:18

oh dear, i guess you'll be sending it back! Which model did you buy?

bumbly Fri 21-Sep-07 08:59:02

rainforest...hmm i bet internet place will say blah blah you cant have refund etc

sad

amidaiwish Fri 21-Sep-07 09:21:58

they can't do that i don't think.
you'll probably have to pay return postage though.

lemonaid Fri 21-Sep-07 15:19:49

Never worked for DS unless it was on full-blown "fairground attraction" mode... (mind you, as I said he never liked it when awake, either, but he wouldn't settle to sleep without a very vigorous swing). I guess babies are, indeed, all different...

There probably are slower swings out there, though -- I know I went for the FP one specifically because you could get a big swing going. Maybe someone can recommend a very gentle one? Or ytour DD might just not like swings in general, I suppose.

bumbly Sat 22-Sep-07 09:46:05

which is a gentle swing...anyone???

geekgirl Sat 22-Sep-07 09:51:24

the lowest setting on the Graco playtime one is gentle imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now