Talk

Advanced search

washing clothes - whats the best?

(15 Posts)
poppy22 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:19:19

Im thinking about switching to a non-bio detergent, as Ive heard that it's better for babies - can anyone recommend a good brand? Or is this just an old wives tale and i can stick to my regular bio? thanks

LizaRose Tue 18-Sep-07 15:32:37

I found this interesting reading.

MilaMae Tue 18-Sep-07 16:29:33

Ecover is lovely, smells of lavender and gets things clean. We love it, my little boy is prone to exzema but this is really non irritating. Eco friendly too. I box lasts me a week and I do a lot of washing. I think it's on offer in Asda at the moment.

lyra41 Thu 20-Sep-07 19:45:22

can anyone recommend a washing liquid for cold washing? I'm guessing it's more eco friendly to wash on cold.

susiemj Thu 20-Sep-07 20:38:10

Another vote for Ecover (and you can use the laundry bleach they do on whites. It gets stains out and doesn't smell too chemically (I don't like highly perfumed washing powders as I have eczema). I've had far fewer skin irritations since I swapped to it.You also only have to use a little of it each time, so it's not that expensive.

MM BTW LizaRose - that was interesting .. especially the quickwash thing.

susiemj Thu 20-Sep-07 20:38:50

p.s. I use the liquid. didn't like the powder as much.

TooTicky Thu 20-Sep-07 20:42:33

I love Clearspring - seems to be the most gentle on skin. Also greener.

TheBlonde Thu 20-Sep-07 20:44:51

I use surcare

DaphneHarvey Thu 20-Sep-07 20:52:29

Dear Poppy. Yes, you are right to go non-bio for babies. Believe me, I am the Queen Of Laundry, I defy anyone in the world to be better at laundry than me, and Fairy non-bio powder gives the best results of all. Have tried everything. Smells nice, but gentle, too. BTW, I wash my DCs clothes in non-bio, but things for my DH and I go in separate loads, all bio. Esp my DH's undergruds sad.

Lyra, of course it is more eco friendly to wash on cold. But it doesn't get clothes as clean. The heat causes a chemical reaction that makes the washing powder work more effectively. Please don't wash underwear, sheets, tea towels, towels, or heaven forbid nappies, on cold. They just won't be clean enough.

lomondgal Thu 20-Sep-07 20:54:14

fairy non-bio, they do liquid/tabs

mellie Thu 20-Sep-07 20:58:45

we've used Ecover for ages now (liquid non bio) dd2 has sensitive skin adn it's fine. i also hate that strong chemical perfume smell you get with loads of the non eco friendly brands.

littleducks Thu 20-Sep-07 21:01:18

lizarose, that is a really interesting site (dh was sniggering away that i found it interesting) after spending time online, i started using alot less powder and do use soapnuts though i dont think they are good enough for clothes, just sheets and towels(which i was at 60) but i have found my door seal isd getting mouldy, i recently had it replaced and it is opretty yuck already, so i do believe that he is correct in saying not using products with bleach can damage the machine.

i might have to start using a more expensive brand, hmmmm.

poppy22 Fri 21-Sep-07 11:00:36

thanks guys, one other thing - is it true I have to wash the baby clothes ive bought before i use them? is just once enough to soften them up?!

susiemj Fri 21-Sep-07 11:14:16

I think it's recommended to wash them. I'm doing mine.

MrsBadger Fri 21-Sep-07 11:17:54

it's not to soften them, it's to get rid of any dirt / dressings / chemicals still on them from the factory.

I did all dds things before she was born but since then have become less fussy - yesterday dressed her in a tesco babygrow straight from the packet as apparent growth spurt meant everything else that was clean was too small...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now