Talk

Advanced search

Trampoline, with safetynet yes or no?

(23 Posts)
Berrie Sun 16-Sep-07 09:40:43

Dc Just 4 and 2

lisad123 Sun 16-Sep-07 09:42:39

I have a net round mine, and i feel better knowing shes safe.

Berrie Sun 16-Sep-07 09:46:17

No no I mean should we have one at all...would definatly get the net

lisad123 Sun 16-Sep-07 09:49:58

sorry, yes get one they are great grin

Pixiefish Sun 16-Sep-07 09:50:32

yes

mrsflowerpot Sun 16-Sep-07 09:52:04

oh, yes, best thing we have ever bought, they are on it all the time.

We have been doing mammoth gardening job for the last few weekends and without the trampoline the kids would have made it virtually impossible - as it is they have bounced and bounced while we worked.

Boogalooblue Sun 16-Sep-07 09:52:33

Yes, trampoline is great grin, my 4 (aged from 18 months to almost 7) play on it daily - it's grrrrreat

Gobbledigook Sun 16-Sep-07 09:54:28

Mine are 6, 4, 3 and we don't have a net.

There are risks both with and without a net. BIL was telling me how his BIL knocked himself out by falling backwards onto the pole that holds up the net and if it wasn't there he wouldn't have fallen off either (most of him was still on the trampoline!).

I just supervise it carefully. It's not that far off the ground - accidents happen doing all sorts of things when you are little - balancing on walls, climbing trees. You could fall off the top of a slide and that's higher than a trampoline.

TinyGang Sun 16-Sep-07 09:55:22

Definately yes to a net.

Shoshable Sun 16-Sep-07 10:02:46

We have had one for the mindees for 5 years, and just about to replace it as it is well and truly bounced out, (we did look at getting replacement pads and buffers for it, but it cost more than replacing the whole thing) we have a net, couldnt get CM insurance without it.

Touch wood, (going to jinx it now arnt I) we have never had a accident, but we do have very strict rulews, that they are only allowed to land on feet or bums, no flips, and one at a time for the older ones, The toddlers go on together with supervision, but they just tend to run round it!

Berrie Sun 16-Sep-07 10:06:21

Thanks everyone...next question, if anyone is still looking, have you seen one on sale anywhere or am I too late?

Shoshable Sun 16-Sep-07 10:07:40

Makro have a 8ft at 69.00 and I think Argos have had them on sale. Friend got a 12ft in woolies on sale.

sparklygothkat Sun 16-Sep-07 10:12:09

i saw a 8ft in toysrus for £49.99 with enclosure.

popsycal Sun 16-Sep-07 10:13:07

woollies have some cheap ones too

I am tempted for my two but dh is veteoing it as the garden isnt really quite big enough

Berrie Sun 16-Sep-07 10:18:50

Thanks! Berre rushes off to see if woollies is online...

popsycal Sun 16-Sep-07 10:23:55

it is....

Gobbledigook Sun 16-Sep-07 13:04:35

FOr an 8ft one I would get a net - it's quite small so much easier to ping off!

Ours is 14ft and I supervise and get them to bounce in the middle - less likely to actually fall off it because it's so big.

tortoiseSHELL Sun 16-Sep-07 13:07:37

I wouldn't. I have heard that they are the biggest cause of fractures in children. And when ds2 was at the X ray dept of our Childrens hospital, there was a huge leaflet detailing all the dangers of them - even without a net they can break bones, crack heads etc. I'll see if I can find the poster on the web. They said some safety guidelines were to use a safety net, only one child at a time, and definitely not for children under 6, as their bones are more vulnerable.

Sorry - my kids love them when they go on them at friends' houses, and fortunately our garden is too small to justify one. They do have a little square one with a handle in their bedroom for burning off excess energy, but I would be very uncomfortable about having one. HAving said that, many of my friends do have the big garden ones and haven't had mishaps.

tortoiseSHELL Sun 16-Sep-07 13:08:29

My elder two also go to gymnastics lessons, and they have a big one which is sunk into the floor, so much safer, and they are EXTRAORDINARILY safety conscious about the children using it.

tortoiseSHELL Sun 16-Sep-07 13:12:41

this is the poster they had (I think) - it has all the info anyway. The guidelines they give are

Safe springing for fun and fitness this summer

1. If possible set the trampoline in a hole, with the mat at ground level, to reduce the distance the user could fall.
2. Keep trampoline clear of fences, trees and any other yard or play equipment. Erect netting around the sides of the trampoline to stop users falling off.
3. Ensure trampoline has a securely fastened frame pad to cover the entire spring system, hooks and frame
4. Place cushioning material (such as wood chips, sand or soft lawn) under and around the trampoline
5. Check the wear and tear on the trampoline mat and springs before use
6. Use the trampoline only when the mat is completely dry
7. Children should always be supervised by an adult. It is not advised that children under age six use large trampolines
8. Only one person should use the trampoline at a time
9. Users should always jump in the middle of the mat
10. Never exit the trampoline by bouncing off - climb on and off carefully
11. Users should remove all jewellery, buckles or anything that might catch and should not wear hard shoes; socks should be non-slip
12. Never sit or crawl under the trampoline

Avoiding injuries:

* Stretch your muscles before and after trampolining
* Do not push your body too far when using the trampoline ñ untrained users may strain muscles if bouncing for long periods
* Controlled bouncing (not too high) provides the best exercise while limiting the danger of landing awkwardly on the mat, or falling off the trampoline
* Do not try skills or moves that are beyond your ability, e.g. flips and somersaults. Serious injuries can occur when landing awkwardly.

Remember, if you or your child have any unusual pain or discomfort that persists after using a trampoline, visit your GP, who can refer to you to a chartered physiotherapist. Alternatively, you can visit www.physio2u.co.uk for a list of private and independent practitioners in your area.

lisad123 Sun 16-Sep-07 13:29:46

toys r us had them on offer this week
Lisa

Berrie Sun 16-Sep-07 15:40:37

Thanks tortoiseshell...I do worry about that as I had heard that they could be dangerous.
Thanks all those who pointed out where I might get one! Oh dear, decisions decisions!

Pixel Wed 19-Sep-07 19:43:54

Here's a real bargain for anyone with a bit of space. Unfortunately we haven't got room for a 12ft sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now