Talk

Advanced search

COORIE Sling users - your advice please. Think I might have the wrong size...

(12 Posts)
Ceolas Thu 13-Sep-07 10:58:06

According to the measurements on the website I should have a Large. I ordered this but trying it on, it doesn't feel quite right.

DD, granted, is only 2 weeks old but looks completely swamped in it. The fabric completely covers her face. I'm worried she'd suffocate!

Also, she's sitting down about my navel and feels quite insecure. If I put my arm under her and raise her a couple of inches it feels much better.

Any advice?

Ceolas Thu 13-Sep-07 11:59:23

Anyone?

horsemadgal Thu 13-Sep-07 12:12:51

Is it the fleece one? I also measure as a large but had to get a small before it felt right. I think because the fleece is stretchy. I'm a size 16/18 so seems very weird!

barbamama Thu 13-Sep-07 12:15:55

I got a small, am a 14 and was meaasuring as a medium but it feels too tight to me!! (big boobs in way maybe?) Can hardly get 2 week old in it.

NoviceKnitter Thu 13-Sep-07 12:26:26

Congrats on DD! Aren't they great! smile

I've got a small and it seems fine - I'm 5'5 - had it since DD was about 6 weeks and her head quite strong by then. Sounds like you may have the wrong size but IMO newborns are so floppy that the soft slings can be a bit scary anyway. I was constantly terrified she'd suffocate in our kari me when she was tiny, even tho she loved it. And in her carseat for that matter!

My coorie prob goes to about naval too and i do have to support her with one arm when in it - but i mostly use the sitting position. haven't mastered the handsfree with it - anyone else?

Why don't you email brightspark - i'm sure they'd help you out.

Olihan Thu 13-Sep-07 12:32:54

I had this problem with a large coorie, but the cat slept on it the night before I was going to ring them and ask to swap it for a smaller size, so I couldn't!

I did manage to get ds2 in it so his face wasn't covered but it took ages of faffing when I first put him in it everytime and it wasn't worth it, plus he'd slip down if I didn't hold on to him.

Considering you're supposed to be able to bf in them, I think navel height is definitely wrong - I miserably fail the pencil test but ds2 still couldn't feed in the coorie grin.

redtent Thu 13-Sep-07 12:36:59

hmm I like my pouches to rest just above my belly button..... so I would find yours large I think.

The fleece is v stretchy so you may want to downsize. Email Laura at Brightsparks for help!

FWIW there are articles about positionning the baby well and safely over the the babywearer website. I often place a rolled muslin or a folded one under ds (5 weeks) in a pouch. I wonder if you can fold the fabric back so she is less enveloped? Her being hidden right in sling is no big problem as long as her face isn't stuffed against the fabric imo/ ime.

Key points- as long as baby is not chin to chest that is fine (the muslin helps this), so long as baby doesn't get too hot that is fine.

I hope that helps!

Ceolas Thu 13-Sep-07 12:43:34

It is the fleece. Feels like it's stretching down when I put her in. hmm

Will have a look on babywearer and see how we get on.

NoviceKnitter Thu 13-Sep-07 12:45:09

Redtent - I find i really difficult to stop DD slumping forward. Where do you put the muslin?

anniemac Thu 13-Sep-07 12:51:08

Message withdrawn

Ceolas Thu 13-Sep-07 16:53:11

OK, I've sent it back for the smaller size...

redtent Sat 15-Sep-07 21:55:01

Noviceknitter- I put the muslin folded behind Ds's shoulders. This lifts his chest and straightens his back just enough to stop chin to chest (which is an asphixia risk). You could use a small fleece blacket too.

If your baby is flopping forward I would try positioning them slightly differently in the sling. I guess they are sat uprightish and I wonder if you can get them more laid down/cradle like?

A sitting position in a sling is fab for a baby who wants to start to look out a bit but in a really loose pouch you might not find the support to hold them in the position. Maybe try flipping the shoulder to tighten it and pin them to your body a bit more... or try a cotton pouch or tighter fleece.

HTH

(ps I lurve knitting too)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now