Talk

Advanced search

Teasmades - do they still exist?...

(25 Posts)
NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:09:13

...and if so are there any good ones around? DP's birthday coming up and thought it would be a fun gift for a new father, but don't know if they work or even exist any more.

NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:11:27

PS just googled and found an Telegraph article saying John Lewis were bringing them back because of 12 complaints a day that they didn't stock! Not in time for DP's bday tho...

expatinscotland Wed 12-Sep-07 15:12:29

What is a teasmade?

NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:17:16

It's a very glorified alarm clock that makes your tea for you by your bed in the mornings. Very popular in the 70s.

Brangelina Wed 12-Sep-07 15:21:05

I'm sure they do because I just had to do a quote for Christmas packaging for teasmades and accessories. Maybe try a family run electrical store as opposed to curry's or something. Actually, I think Boots might have them as I seem to remember my cousin buying one from there recently to take with her to Saudi.

Fauve Wed 12-Sep-07 15:24:04

MIL has got a retro Goblin Teasmade she wants to offload if anyone's desperate...genuine 1950s? 60s?...We have so far resisted its allure. Have not seen them in the shops.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 12-Sep-07 15:25:17

yes, saw an ad in back of a colour supplement very recently - don't know if it was a Goblin though...

NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:30:24

Well my thought is either to get him a retro old one that will at least look quite funky even if it doesn't work very well, or a state of the art new one. I've seen a couple but don't know if they're any good - I had one briefly years ago. The tea never tasted quite like you'd made it the normal way.

What's your MIL's look like and does it work? How much she want for it?

What I really want tho is a modern one that works a treat - may have to wait for the one John Lewis has in development...

magnolia74 Wed 12-Sep-07 15:35:20

Yes my mum and dad have one each side of their bed grin From littles extra smile

magnolia74 Wed 12-Sep-07 15:35:47

sorry littlewoods extra

NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:38:07

how sweet! maybe i should get two! So presumably they rate the cuppa they get. will check it out, thanks.

Lilymaid Wed 12-Sep-07 15:38:16

I have to confess that I have got an older version of this and it is fabulous. Bought it for my DH's significant birthday and he (or I) no longer has to go downstairs to the kitchen and make tea for us in the morning! I would recommend it to all morning tea lovers.

Fauve Wed 12-Sep-07 15:41:35

Was really only being frivolous about MIL's - you'd be better off with a new one as a gift. smile

NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:42:05

oh brilliant, i'd seen that one and wondered if it was any good. how many cups do you get out of it?

NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:45:06

ah, just seen - it's 4 cups - perfect I'll go for that.

thought yr MILs sounded cool! but this one more practical. will go and order now.

good old mumsnet

grin

Lilymaid Wed 12-Sep-07 15:55:52

The old version of the Micromark (which I have) only makes 2 mugs. The teapot takes around 600 ml water - the mugs I use aren't particularly large and they take 300 ml liquid each. My tea cups take 250 ml each, so if the new model does make four cups, either the tea pot is much larger or their tea cup sizes are much smaller!

NoviceKnitter Wed 12-Sep-07 15:57:17

Have just ordered. Think he will love it. Thanks again!

maisym Wed 12-Sep-07 15:57:39

saw one in the argos catalogue

Cappuccino Wed 12-Sep-07 15:59:26

my mother bought me one of these but a cheap version with no alarm clock, for when I was pg hmm

it was more faff putting the thing together at night and cleaning it up in the morning than anything else

make sure you do not set any precedents by setting it up for your dh on the first morning wink

Caz10 Wed 12-Sep-07 21:29:27

does it add your milk? I'd be so upset if it made you a cup of tea but then you had to get up for milk!!

ksmum Thu 13-Sep-07 18:35:56

I bought one for my dh for his birthday from a website. It is pretty tacky and has a space for you to put your favourtie photo in.

It doesn't add your milk but we just put the milk in the mugs anyway as we don't have heat in bedroom overnight. Not OK on summer nights but Ok otherwise.

Must say we used a lot at first and then stopped.

John Lewis one looks a lot nicer than ours.

Lilymaid Fri 14-Sep-07 10:27:06

Buy the smallest/cheapest stainless steel thermos for the milk.

Loopymumsy Fri 14-Sep-07 20:22:16

Message withdrawn

DumbledoresGirl Fri 14-Sep-07 20:27:46

My mother has one (has had it for decades) and uses it every single morning. She puts the milk in the mugs the night before and has never had any problem with the milk going off, even on warm nights.

Word of caution though: my mother's has 2 containers: a kettle part which heats the water and then it pours itself into the teapot part (where teabag is). This works fine, but many years ago I had one where the water was heated in the same container as the tea bag and that resulted in a foul cup of tea.

I am interested that JL's is bringing them back. I wouldn't mind one, for use at the weekends only (I admire my mum that she sets her alarm early enough to have time to drink a cup of tea in bed, even on weekdays. I don't want to be woken up until the moment I have to get up!)

Loopymumsy Fri 14-Sep-07 20:50:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now