Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what can I put in drawers to stop stuff going mildewy?

(7 Posts)
Cappuccino Wed 05-Sep-07 20:12:50

my basement is full of those little trays with crystals in collecting water

and generally it's fine if I keep the heating on now and again and make sure stuff is vented

but stuff in my desk drawer goes a bit mildewy

can you buy anything?

Cappuccino Thu 06-Sep-07 11:59:27

bump?

cameleon Fri 07-Sep-07 11:16:51

Sorry not sure if you can buy anything, but how about keeping the little packets of gel beads you get with new shoes , bags etc.
Would having a few scattered in your drawers help? never tried but in theory they should work.
I lived in a damp static caravan for a year when we were building, ended up throwing my whole wardrobe away... let me know if you find a solution

Cappuccino Fri 07-Sep-07 20:46:54

for the rest of the room I have those little plastic things full of crystals that absorb water that you empty out now and again they are good they would fit in a wardrobe

I am also looking for an electric fan apparently if you stir the air around every so long it helps

other advice is to 'keep the drawers open' hmm

JackieNo Fri 07-Sep-07 20:52:05

I think cameleon's advice might work - you can buy silica gel sachets - I think DH bought some a while ago and found that ebay was the cheapest place to buy them in bulk (well, bulk-ish - just one smallish cardboard box).

JackieNo Fri 07-Sep-07 20:54:14

If it was just one drawer, you could try the dehumidifying egg - when it has absorbed as much water as it can, you just put it in the microwave to dry it out again, and re-use it.

Cappuccino Sat 08-Sep-07 06:36:52

jackie I love the dehumidifying egg

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now