Talk

Advanced search

tell me why you like/don't like your under cabinet lighting

(13 Posts)
Toots Mon 03-Sep-07 20:33:45

I'm looking for a generous warm glow under my kitchen cabs. Will have a deco strip thing so they don't have to be things of beauty but preferably things of modest cost. Reccommendations please.

Sobernow Mon 03-Sep-07 20:39:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toots Mon 03-Sep-07 20:52:19

Hmmmm. They sound grrrrrreat. I have bunk beds to thwack my head on. Get me every time. I think all human-kind has a rage-filled hate relationship with some inanimate object or other.....
But as I have filled that role in my own life, I'll be avoiding three cornered halagen hell-beasts.

Toots Mon 03-Sep-07 20:53:23

Ad ff they can burn your fingers just staring at them..... wink

Sobernow Mon 03-Sep-07 20:54:47

Sobernow Mon 03-Sep-07 20:57:49

Toots Tue 04-Sep-07 07:49:34

Thunk beds, excellent!

Anyone else? Would like to buy these today.

happystory Tue 04-Sep-07 07:54:15

They may be dated so you won't even be considering them but my previous kitchen had short strip lights which, if anyone slammed a cupbopard door above them (ds mainly!) the filament broke and at £3.99 a bulb twas a PITA.

Now have small round halogens (I think?) which so far in a year I haven't changed a single bulb. (or maybe ds just stopped slamming doors? grin)

Slubberdegullion Tue 04-Sep-07 08:23:01

Sobernow, I'm with you. They are the the bane of my electrical lighting existance. We have the strip ones all joined up together...a bit like fairy lights.

One is always dead. One is always headache inducing flickering. One is hanging at an angle in plain sight, taunting me in my rage filled ineptitude when I tried to get the little fucker out of the bracket and smashed it.

The replacement bulbs are about 0.007cm too long to fit in the old fittings. The new fittings don't connect up with the old fittings.

They're enough to drive a woman to pour gin on her weetabix in the morning.

Toots Tue 04-Sep-07 10:01:39

Jeez, what kind of bad place am I getting into here?

Was considering the long strips but that is off-putting, as is fact they are G rated for efficency (think even I'M more like an E).

Triangles = bad
Linked up lights = bad
strip bulbs = bad
shutting cupboards on above = bad

Whereas happystory's small rounds = good.

We might be getting somewhere here.... Anymore for any more?

Slubberdegullion Tue 04-Sep-07 11:30:03

lol Toots. Under cabinet lights...it's a bad place.

fwiw I love my lights when they all work (and sit properly in their brackets). I think it gives off a much nicer light in the kitchen and I regularly only have these on and don't switch the overhead ones on at all. I'm so fed up with the ones I have got I'm thinking of replacing the lot...with something better.......

which get us back to your OP grin

Dinosaur Tue 04-Sep-07 11:32:35

I really like mine - they are only Ikea basics but they've been fine.

Toots Tue 04-Sep-07 19:39:13

Went to Wickes and got a set of three little round ones and another set where the light sits in a rectangular metal case which slopes in a somewhat triangular and therefore potentially ire producing way. First set were 9.99 second 30. First has a plug and transformer the second seems to rely on magic and a little on/off switch. Will see what the builder says. He says things like 'mullered'.... and 'rotten as a pear'. He sounds like Michael Caine. I like him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: