Talk

Advanced search

Any MNetters in France who can help me with some stationery, please?

(27 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Sun 02-Sep-07 17:18:09

I want to get hold of notebooks that are the quadrille type - like graph paper.

I can find all kind of pads that are like this but I want something with a more permanent cover. I can't seem to find them in the UK.

I know that the French tend to use this kind of paper more than we do, and wondered if there were any MNetters who could source any of these books for me? I don't mind what's on the cover - it could be Pokemon or Barbie for all I care!

I don't want to buy loads - about half a dozen would be perfect.

I will obviously pay and pay postage, etc.

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 02-Sep-07 17:20:16

not in France but have you seen the Moleskine books - hard covers and like French notebooks - they're available here in good stationery/art shops

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 02-Sep-07 17:21:44

I have - I was looking at them in Waterstones - but thought that at £11.99 they were just a tad pricey!

I was thinking more about the sort of thing they seem to routinely sell in French supermarkets/hypermarkets.

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 02-Sep-07 17:23:19

mmm, yes,they are costly if you're wanting a lot of them - I love writing on squared paper for some reason - makes me feel cosmopolitan ! good luck with search

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 04-Sep-07 00:12:47

bump, SVP!

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 04-Sep-07 12:44:55

someone must know ! I'd like to know too...

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 04-Sep-07 17:19:34

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 08:47:03

I guess there's no-one can help then - but I'll bump this one more time, just in case ...

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 09:18:15

Hi BIWI, I live in France and I know the sort of thing you mean. I can check the local supermarket out if you like. Do you want them with a hardback cover or just something more substantial than card?

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 09:29:56

Doesn't have to be hardback, just more substantial/permanent than an ordinary pad.

Hurrah! (Inordinately excited that someone might be able to help with a stationery request!)

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 09:32:41

Glad you're pleased!
I probably won't be in a supermarket until the end of the week though. Do you want me to let you know what the choices are (colours etc) or shall I just go ahead and get some if I see the sort of thing you mean?

LaCod Wed 05-Sep-07 09:33:17

WHY do the french write on squares

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 09:37:55

No idea. French education system is weird. All the children get taught to write in the same joined up, very elaborate letters style. They learn to write using fountain pens (nightmare if you're lefthanded). Don't know what the squares are about though, will ask DH.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 09:40:02

Would prefer high powered, executive, serious statement kind of thing grin - but happy with Snoopy, Barbie, etc!

Really, really grateful.

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 09:48:24

Dora the Explorer is all the rage here if you want to be on the cutting edge of littlies fashion!

Probably is best if I have a look first and then I'll let you know what choices there are. There is a nice office supply shop nearby that sells grown up stuff, I might try there. I have a bit of a 'thing' about stationary and love looking round this shop so you have given me a good excuse to go and try out pens and look at diaries. [sad no life emoticon]

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 09:49:59

Fantastic - just don't blame me when you spend shed loads of Euros! I know what you mean - I'm always really pleased when I have to go to Staples!

LaCod Wed 05-Sep-07 09:50:10

it freaked me when i saw in france that dora speaks enlighs as her secodn language

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 10:02:16

Hate Dora with a passion. Everyboy here thinks I must love her cos she speaks English just like me. We're hardly going to become friends though are we?

Will get back to you Because on the notebooks ASAP. I promise not to tell my husband that it is all your fault if I end up spending loads!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 12:13:00

grin

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 17:36:01

Ok went to shop today and they have what you are lookingfor I think.

Basic model was 2.36 Euros for a spiral bound cardboard cover notebook with 180 pages.

Next up was 2.65 for spiral bound plastic cover with 100 pages. Covers were quite nice colours (roayl blue, dark turquiosy greeny blue. These had the Oxford logo on the and there was a slight graphicy pattern to the plastic that was quite nice and not very noticeable. I thought this was the best of the lot as cheap nice enough cover and sturdy plastic.

Another version was 4.72 for spiral bound this time a plastic slightly ribbed cover again 100 pages. Unfortunately the colours were kind of lurid lime green, spandex pink types. Paper inside was quite nice though.

Another possibility but they only had three of these, was 3.95 for 100 pages, spiral bound, sturdy plastic cover with pictures of lots of mailboxes on it. Quite nice but nothing really special.

They only had one type that was posh and executivey but they were 11 Euros each.

Hope this is some help, catch you later, Beach.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 18:25:21

I like the sound of the 2.65 plastic cover one.

Could you get me 6 of these?

How shall I pay you for them and the postage? I have PayPal, or I could send you some Euros - assume a cheque would be no good because it would be sterling!

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 05-Sep-07 18:54:50

glad you've found some stationery BIWI !! - why do you want it, btw ? - just being nosy !

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 19:30:42

I think the 2.65 one is the best. Do you want any specific colours (they didn't have black)?

I can get you six no problem. Postage might be quite a lot I'm afraid. I post things regularly to the UK and IIRC the cost of 1.5KG is about 11 Euros (notebooks might not be that heavy but just to give you an idea).

Also just to check do you want the paper to be squares or do you want the squares/rectangles plus lots of lines type (difficult to describe sorry!).

Paypal is probably best so as to avoid sending money through the post. I just have to check that my account is still ok as haven't used it for ages. I will make sure and send a receipt with the parcel. I'm happy to send the stuff and you can pay me back when you get it, I'm sure you are perfectly trustworthy!

If you want to go ahead CAT me with your address, colour preferences, etc.

Have a nice evening, Beach.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 21:01:21

MAS - I have do a lot of costings for my job (market research projects) and although I have an Excel spreadsheet I find that a lot of my 'rough' workings I prefer to do on paper. So I often end up with lots of bits of paper which get lost along the way.

So I decided I would have a separate book just for costings, in the same way that I have a book in which I take notes when I go to client meetings. But I prefer the squares as sometimes I like to work landscape and sometimes portrait.

It's pretty trivial really, but I just wanted a better system for me!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Sep-07 21:02:54

Beach, I would prefer just the squared variety - no lines, thank you.

Not bothered about colour, and I don't mind about the cost of postage.

I haven't subscribed to CAT but my e-mail is thestarrs at btconnect.com

I'm really, really (pathetically!) grateful for you doing this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now