Talk

Advanced search

Sheepskin/lambskin bedding for newborns safe/unsafe ????

(6 Posts)
GoldenFleece Fri 31-Aug-07 22:43:37

Hi

CAn anyone help me please. Are lamskin's safe for new born babies to sleep on? My midwife tells me they could possibly contribute to cot death as the baby is unable to regulate her temperature.

As a new first time mum (my baby is only 6 days old) I am finding this new world all rather daunting! Although she is sleeping for some short stretches she seemed determined not to sleep in either her crib or moses basket so was having to sleep with me. That was until I happened to briefly put her in the moses basket on top of a lamskin that had been given to me. She went out like a light and had to be woken to be fed. "Perfect" I thought however there seem to be some major risks associated with this and so we are now back to only sleeping for 30 - 60 mins in any one stretch.

Does anyone know if this is the case or not? Obviously I don't want to put her at risk but I also want her to sleep well and be comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Seona1973 Fri 31-Aug-07 22:46:52

SIDS website says this:

Can I use a sheepskin for my baby?

Research has shown that sheepskins are not risky if your baby sleeps on their back. As your baby starts trying to roll over onto their front, do not use the sheepskin.

dazedandconfunded Mon 03-Sep-07 12:25:39

I have owned various lambskins - all claim to keep baby cool in summer and warm in winter. Not sure how!

GoldenFleece Tue 04-Sep-07 20:56:20

What is SIDS? Is there a website?

Thank you for your comments.

flowerybeanbag Tue 04-Sep-07 21:01:12

we have a lambskin for DS who is 3.5 months, we bought it to go in a travel cot we used on holiday recently. It said on the packaging that in babies under 6 months (I think it was) a sheet should be put on top, otherwise fine.

GoldenFleece Tue 04-Sep-07 21:03:50

found the SIDS website - thank you.

Like all these things there seems to be so much conflicting advice!! but on the whole they seem to be good as long as baby lies on her back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now