Talk

Advanced search

Laundry Detergents? Which ones truly get rid of tomato stains.

(22 Posts)
temmy99 Wed 29-Aug-07 23:24:31

Nothing I use tend to get rid of tomato stains or any food stains for that matter off my children's clothes, I pre-treat with Vanish but its still there. Persil non-bio? fairy non-bio? I give up, are you having better luck out there? Please let me in on your secret to 'clean' washing.

battlestar Wed 29-Aug-07 23:25:25

none
bleach and strong sunlight may help fade it, but the only sure fire way of getting rid of thestains, is ditching the clothes

bookthief Wed 29-Aug-07 23:27:06

Washing with at a very high temp does the job sometimes when nothing else will. Obviously you run the risk of ruining the clothes but it's better than binning them.

bookthief Wed 29-Aug-07 23:27:57

Washing with? Well, washing with anything really as I think it's the temp that does the job.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 29-Aug-07 23:37:46

The minute you spot the stain, put some neat washing up liquid on to it, then wash as normal. Usually does the trick.

Dabbles Wed 29-Aug-07 23:43:15

watching this thread!so many of dds clothes riuned by spag bol! (and also raw red peppers hmm)

Washersaurus Wed 29-Aug-07 23:54:53

I haven't found anything to remove set tomato stains, but my mum did give me some 'Tide' instant eraser pens which successfully removed fresh stains like magic.

Sadly, you can't buy them in the UK - I will have to ask her to send me some more over from America grin

bookthief Wed 29-Aug-07 23:57:18

Now the real trick is removing those black specks caused (I think) by banana. Several of ds's tops look like they've got mildew due to dh's apparent disdain for bibs.

Aitch Wed 29-Aug-07 23:59:48

pear, by god... who would have thought pear could wreck a t-shirt? am putting this on my watched list.

controlfreakyonholiday Thu 30-Aug-07 00:01:53

biotex is truly miraculous

Seona1973 Thu 30-Aug-07 10:12:58

I buy a little tin of DE-SOLV-IT stain remover and it is great at getting out orangey stains. It is about £3/£4 for a small tin but it is worth it as it really works (and you dont have to leave the clothes to soak for hours either) I never found vanish or any of the other stain removers to work. The only downside is that it stinks!! I got mine in Morrisons

De-Solv-It

temmy99 Thu 30-Aug-07 21:39:37

bump

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 30-Aug-07 21:59:15

Which Vanish product are you using? The oxy stuff doesn't shift them, but my current routine is to spray with Whizz oxy, leave for half an hour, then scrub with one of the vanish soap blocks (these work sooooooo much better than the powdered stuff, but are more hassle to do), then soak in the vanish oxy stuff, then wash (at 40 degrees with ecover non-bio for me).

This has shifted even really really bad stains lately.

Seona1973 Thu 30-Aug-07 22:20:39

forgot to say I dont use non-bio for mine or my kids clothes. Biological powder plus the spray works miracles

helenelisabeth Thu 30-Aug-07 22:21:20

I bleach any clothes of DD's overnight. Dilute the bleach in warm water and soak, then wash in the machine as normal. This includes whites and coloureds. You can only really do it once or twice as it will wear away at the fabric but I have got most stains out of her clothes doing it this way.

Milliways Thu 30-Aug-07 22:22:10

Agree with DeSolvIt, It is FAB & got black oil out of trousers!

Curry, tomatoes, all goes!

Dannie Thu 30-Aug-07 22:24:08

Sunlight bleaches tomato stains. Honest.

Jenkeywoo Thu 30-Aug-07 22:30:33

I've found that persil small and mighty liquid on a 60 degree wash actually does work - vanish is useless as a spray,it's all in the scrubbing. MIL recommended old fashioned fairy soap which I rub on and scrub in with my finger nails.

clumsymum Thu 30-Aug-07 22:38:55

I have found Vanish an utter waste of money, it makes b-all difference.

I find that the best way to get stains out (inc. tomato-y sauces like my bolognese) is ....
1 Buy a good quality Biological detergent
2 Put the stained things in your washer with 1 and a half times the recommended dosage of detergent (e.g. 3 tablets instead of 2)
3 switch on the washer, at least a 40 degree cycle, hotter if you can (or dare). After about 15 - 20 mins, when the washer has warmed up the water, switch off your machine, and leave everything to soak in it, at least 2 hrs, pref overnight.
4 Switch the machine back on. It will reheat the water and complete the cycle.

This should get most stuff out of cotton/polycotton type fabrics.

Generally, if it's still stained after this, give up and bin it.

Jenkeywoo Fri 31-Aug-07 09:01:11

clumsy mum, that is a cool idea about switching off the machine to leave it all to soak - I'm going to try it. Unfortunatley can't use bio stuff as it flares up dd's eczema but I have persil non-bio really quite good so will give it a go with that.

clumsymum Fri 31-Aug-07 10:28:45

Jenhkey

Only bio stuff will shift the stains.

I'd use bio to get the stains out, then immediately rewash again in non bio before letting dc wear it.

temmy99 Fri 31-Aug-07 12:15:20

wow, this is amazing, how did i manage without mn!! Thanks ladies, keep them coming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now