Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your fan assisted oven please

(9 Posts)
PeachesMcLean Tue 28-Aug-07 16:41:22

I've just "inherited" a fan assisted range style oven and cannot get the blessed thing to work. The hob's ok, but the ovens are beyond me. It's all dials and symbols and I don't know what any of them mean and even if I did I don't know what the temperatures mean and I just want my old gas cooker back. I can't even get a manual for it cos it's some poncey Italian brand and no-one in the UK seems to have heard of it (Terim anyone?)

Is it like washing machines with 20 settings and you just use the one after a while?
Can you cook without the fan? (whatever I do seems to have air coming out!)
Don't they normally come with a grill pan? Has ours gone missing therefore?
Should I try and use the smaller oven most of the time, or does that do something different???

Oh it's all so confusing. sad

Any comments, much appreciated. smile

JeremyVile Tue 28-Aug-07 16:42:49

Takeaway?

onlyWotz Tue 28-Aug-07 16:42:57

Not much use I'm afraid, hope you will be able to get to use it soon, but until then, have you got a slow cooker grin

JeremyVile Tue 28-Aug-07 16:46:50

Jaffa cakes? they require no interaction with poncey Italian cooker.

I have a fan oven and it has far too many dials and settings, I just use the one seting, couldn't even begin to imagine what all the other stuff is for.

Cant think of anything helpful though as without the manual your knobs and dials could mean absolutely anything....I assume you cant get the manual from whoever you inherited the cooker from?.

KTeePee Tue 28-Aug-07 16:47:13

I've got a double oven recently - the main oven is a fan oven. As far as I can tell, it is fan all the time. The smaller oven is a "normal" oven though (plus grill). The main difference with a fan oven is you set the temperature about 10 degrees or so lower.I have to say I use the smaller oven the most but this may change in the winter when I'll do more roasts and casseroles. Think you should have a grill pan so maybe you can order a "universal" one from somewhere?

happystory Tue 28-Aug-07 16:48:15

Well mine's not a range and not italian (exactly how helpful am I gonna be?!) but for the fan oven there's a symbol with a fan in a circle, then for fan-assisted grilling (ie it grills but circulates air all around too) it's the same symbol with a wiggly line above it for the grill. Grill only is a horizontal wiggly line....You would normally have a grill pan but you could get one, or use a baking sheet?

What symbols do you have?

JeremyVile Tue 28-Aug-07 16:58:53

You can contact them here

I imagine they will be able to forward a manual for your cooker.

PeachesMcLean Tue 28-Aug-07 17:00:12

grin

Slow cooker a good idea anyway, but LOL at idea of really flash unusable oven and lots of oven avoidance gadgets grin.

Got lots and lots of symbols. Will print this out and sit next to the cooker later. Anyone fancy telling me about any more - there's certainly more than three! (am at work and computer not working either - Lord I'm missing MN)

PeachesMcLean Tue 28-Aug-07 17:03:29

Jeremy you're a star. There's a picture of it. Though I've just discovered my oven is called a "Chiantishire" blush

Will contact them tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now