Talk

Advanced search

Blardy timber playhouses

(16 Posts)
irishbird Fri 24-Aug-07 18:15:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bibis Fri 24-Aug-07 18:17:34

We have always put shed/playhouses on paving slabs not straight on the grass or the wood will start to rot

irishbird Fri 24-Aug-07 18:28:01

whomovedmychocolate Fri 24-Aug-07 18:35:26

You need to first establish that your base is not in a wet area and is basically level - you need to build up concrete underneath and then put slabs down (not forgetting your waterproof membrane under the concrete).

B&Q wood things are a complete horror to assemble and you will need six stout friends (and one bottle opener each) to get through the experience. However local handypersons are quite cheap compared with the years of counselling so you might want to go that way grin

CountessDracula Fri 24-Aug-07 18:36:33

ooh no wait wait
I got fab one for dd, they delivered and erected and it was less than £200 will find

CountessDracula Fri 24-Aug-07 18:47:53

oh god I can't find it

was like {http://www.jacksonsgardensupplies.co.uk/playhouses-the-play-house.html\this} but cheaper

CountessDracula Fri 24-Aug-07 18:48:03

this

forsale Fri 24-Aug-07 18:50:01

we put ours up - v easy 10 years ago then took it down this year and reassembled it at my cousin's house for her 2 dds - v easy again but you do need to get base right if you want it to last

Flo23 Fri 24-Aug-07 18:52:40

We ordered one about 2 wks ago from b and q,phoned them today to check on delivery and it will probably be another 3 wks yet,just to bear in mind if your dd's birthday is imminent!
DH came home today with bags of gravel and some breeze blocks(if thats what they are).I'm hoping it wont be too diff to assemble as he is NOT a diy er...

Pinkchampagne Fri 24-Aug-07 18:56:34

I got a wooden fort delivered today that I ordered for the boys, and I've never seen so many planks of wood! I have a feeling it is going to be a nightmare to assemble!!

alycat Fri 24-Aug-07 18:59:38

You can bed your slabs on dry sand/cement mix as long as you level the ground well first, check levels on slabs when down.

Or you can use hefty wood bearers (at least 4"x4"), well (pre)treated with preservative, although I always like to give them an extra few coats - you can get your local joinery sales to cut them to size for you. Just clear the area, level it lay a membran and put the bearers so they run accross the supports under the base of the wendy house. The bearers will easily outlast you DCs interest in a small wendy house (my dd has had to duck to get in the door of ours since she was5!)

mustrunmore Fri 24-Aug-07 19:08:59

Well, we already had a concrete base, and it still took a full weekend plus about another 2 weeks of after-kids-in-bed to get it put together. Nightmare job.

irishbird Fri 24-Aug-07 19:38:12

mustrunmore Fri 24-Aug-07 21:32:19

Think you might want something like this grin

Tickle Fri 24-Aug-07 21:33:59

get a DIY book from library pronto!

KerryMumbledore Fri 24-Aug-07 21:38:04

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: