Talk

Advanced search

OMG Roomba is the best thing in the world!

(74 Posts)
wheresthevalium Thu 23-Aug-07 16:08:26

Have now had it 2 weeks and I am in love

dilbertina Thu 23-Aug-07 22:33:02

Hey, I want one...! BUT...

can you just leave it hoovering and go out or do you have to keep an eye on it?

Does it really work on dog hair?

How long do they generally last?

Does yours have a name?

cheers

wheresthevalium Tue 28-Aug-07 08:21:55

Yes, I put it on before I go out shopping and hey presto, clean carpets on return!

We have a dalmation and it sucks up all her hair, you can buy pet hair brushes instead of the standard ones.

How long does it last? Do you mean when would you have to replace the whole thing? No idea, just bought it, I would imagine at least as long as a standard vacuum

HTH grin

Flower3554 Tue 28-Aug-07 08:27:15

oh I'd love one. Which model did you buy and how much please? smile

stealthsquiggle Tue 28-Aug-07 08:31:03

wheresthevalium - are you by any chance bratnav? Only I was watching another Roomba thread waiting for feedback (sad, me hmm?)

wheresthevalium Tue 28-Aug-07 11:04:02

Yes, I am a mistress of disguise!

We got the Roomba Scheduler with Intellibin (lights up when bin needs emptied, pretty useless really as we need to empty it every time it does a circuit of downstairs). We got it from an American company on Ebay, it was £250 (approx), the only thing is that you might get stung for the duty (we didn't) which I think is at VAT rate.

It is the most wonderful thing ever. I have just had a back operation, and it has saved me from very dirty carpets.

chopster Tue 28-Aug-07 11:11:35

I don't get it. How does it actually hoover around all the furniture. I can imagine it would take hours to get all around our tables and things.

wheresthevalium Tue 28-Aug-07 11:49:04

Apparently it is based on minesweeping technology! It definitely does the whole floor, and around furniture legs, I've tested it.

It does take a lot longer than if you do it yourself, but I think, hey, as long as I don't have to do it, it can take as long as it likes grin

stealthsquiggle Tue 28-Aug-07 12:58:05

so I should definitely put his floor-washing friend on my wishlist, then? (vacuuming not much good to us as there are so many changes of level in the house, but someone/thing washing the kitchen floor on a daily basis would be bliss)

michaelad Tue 28-Aug-07 13:00:18

What is it?

preggersagain Tue 28-Aug-07 13:02:14

have you lot only just cottoned on? I've had two, so far haven't hoovered for two years!
The scheduler is a great function that i would recomend but we didn't go for the intellibin!

yey for roombas grin

stealthsquiggle Tue 28-Aug-07 13:04:45

preggers do you have the floor washing one too? [eager hopeful emoticon]

wheresthevalium Tue 28-Aug-07 13:07:20

[www.irobot.com their website]]

I am going to go for the floor washing one next, we are about to move and when we looked atthe new house again on Saturday I realised how many hard floors there are (oops).

We weren't really bothered about the intellibin bit, but they were offering it at the same price as the older model

wheresthevalium Tue 28-Aug-07 13:07:50

d'oh

preggersagain Tue 28-Aug-07 13:08:48

yup- i am a domestic slattern! total house count:
upstairs: 1 roomba scheduler, 1 scooba
downstairs: 1 roomba scheduler, 1 scooba
workshop: 1 dirt dog!
planning on getting a basic roomba for the summerhouse for guests to play with!!

Piffle Tue 28-Aug-07 13:11:38

and there is now a robolawnmower too grin

as seen here

wheresthevalium Tue 28-Aug-07 13:11:45

A lady after my own heart preggers!

lummox Tue 28-Aug-07 13:15:01

ooh - looks good. But what would happen when it met the mess under the highchair/yoghurt spills and the like?

is there a different one for hard floors?

wheresthevalium Tue 28-Aug-07 13:17:41

Well it's just like a standard vaccuum, it will pick up any dry stuff, but not wet. The standard model I've got does a fab job on my laminate and tiled floors as well ass the carpets

HTH

preggersagain Tue 28-Aug-07 13:20:23

roomba is the vacuum
scooba washes the floors

our roombas start trudging around the place just after we leave for work, then our nanny switches the scoobas on when she does the afternoon school run, i run scooba again in the kitchen after dinner while we are sitting watching tv!

i never knew how fun cleaning can be! Even funnier when the builders asked if they could use a hoover to clear up some dirt and i gave them the dirt dog! grin looked at e like i was an alien and went out to their van and got a henry!!

my cats tend to sit on them and ride around- all round entertainment for the whole family!

a word of warning though- NEVER ROOMBA WHILE YOU ARE IN THE HOUSE!! its just too riveting- you stand and watch it- meaning that the hoovering takes three times as long as usual and you are saving any time at all!

NoNickname Tue 28-Aug-07 13:20:49

Oooh - I want one! £137 incl delivery here

preggersagain Tue 28-Aug-07 13:22:20

i would look for the one with the self charge base- was def worth the extra few pennies!

Piffle Tue 28-Aug-07 13:24:18

am very keen on anythig that would save mopping
that would mean the floors get mopped ...

NoNickname Tue 28-Aug-07 13:25:11

£175

LilRedWG Tue 28-Aug-07 13:37:22

Are they as powerful as Dysons? Our Dyson is on its last legs and I'm looking for a replacement....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now