Talk

Advanced search

5k to spend on 2nd-hand family car - what would you recommend?

(12 Posts)
policywonk Wed 22-Aug-07 11:19:18

Just what the thread title says, really. I am completely clueless about cars.

anchovies Wed 22-Aug-07 11:26:27

I have a renault scenic that cost about 5k second hand, really like it, loads of space and good features but doesn't feel big to drive.

junkinmytrunk Wed 22-Aug-07 11:28:32

we have a fiat stilo estate and love it.
not as big as other estates which is a plus point for me & parking but loads & loads of room,
reasonably priced too

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Wed 22-Aug-07 11:30:57

Will watch this as our car rolled over and died at the weekend.

KerryMumbledore Wed 22-Aug-07 11:30:59

As my father says, Fiat stands for "Fix It Again Tony"....

The best used car I had was a Nissan....

policywonk Wed 22-Aug-07 11:38:11

Thanks for responses so far. Stilo comes out quite well in NCAP tests, Scenic not quite so good.

I do have a bit of a bias in favour of Japanese cars - we bought a Mazda 626 for £500 a few years ago, and it ran for two years with no probs at all (until it comprehensively failed its MOT and had to be scrapped).

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 22-Aug-07 11:39:50

nissan, always nissan

i am in love with my tino, its mine, mine not peters mine! (ok its mobilitys but i want to keep it lol)

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 22-Aug-07 11:39:50

nissan, always nissan

i am in love with my tino, its mine, mine not peters mine! (ok its mobilitys but i want to keep it lol)

anchovies Wed 22-Aug-07 11:47:22

"The latest Scenic has become the first small MPV to gain five stars for occupant protection" one of the reasons we chose it!

Dh has had a mazda 6 which I loved (he wasn't as keen) I quite fancy a mazda 5 next.

newlifenewname Wed 22-Aug-07 11:47:25

VW Passat - reviews are fab!

policywonk Wed 22-Aug-07 12:03:47

Oh right, thanks anchovies. Can only see up to 2004 on NCAP site for some reason. (Not sure our budget would stretch to more recent models though?)

Nissan - it seems we could go for an Almera or Primera. Anyone have any views on those?

Will go look at Passat now, ta.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 22-Aug-07 13:33:31

both are good. peter had the primera, was lovely, sad to see that one go when he went bankrupt due to illness.

MIL has the almera, again very realiable and a good sized car.

we currently have the almera tino, which is a small MPV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now