Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dyson - shall I get it repaired, or buy a new one? Any Dyson recommendations?

(8 Posts)
Laura032004 Mon 20-Aug-07 20:33:35

I bought my first Dyson - the DC04 - in January 2002, and it's slowly dying I know that part of the pipe (the sort of bendy bit at the bottom) is ripped, but don't know if this is the only fault. I've never done anything service wise (new filters etc) in the whole time we've had it - just emptied it when required, and cleaned the bristles underneath.

Do you think it would be worth trying to get it repaired, or should I just get a new one?

If new - are any models particularly better than others? The one we have seems fine, but so did the one we had before the Dyson, until we got the Dyson!

Bewilderbeast Mon 20-Aug-07 20:45:03

If you phone dyson and you know what's broken they will usually send you the part and instructions on how to fit it. It's a bit like lego.

Hassled Mon 20-Aug-07 20:49:47

It's worth looking at their website for spare parts.
I love Dysons, but don't recommend this - got one recently and it's a pain in the neck - keeps getting blocked for no reason I can fathom and is a nightmare to pull the hose thingy out of the top.

MuffinMclay Mon 20-Aug-07 21:11:21

I've bought spare parts for mine, now and again, from ebay.

I like mine (DC07 - the animal one). It gets used at least once a day, in very trying conditions (we're all very messy and have a long-haired dog), and seems to be going strong.

It is worth washing the filter every once in a while - makes all the difference IMO.

Laura032004 Mon 20-Aug-07 21:28:59

Thanks for those pointers. May try and repair it then first. MuffinMclay - I'd have to work out which part the filter was first . I'll check out the website.

expatinscotland Mon 20-Aug-07 21:34:14

See if you cant' repair it first.

Reduce, reuse, recyle .

Bubbaloo Mon 20-Aug-07 21:54:47

I've got the original DC01 and it's still going strong.There has been times though when I've thought it's died,but I've phoned them up and they have been so helpful over the phone,telling me what to do,that I've managed to fix it.
I have also called them out just the once,the service was great,I got a new flex/lead and it was only about £20.Definately worth calling them first.

Laura032004 Wed 22-Aug-07 08:14:56

Well, I cleaned my filter out yesterday - yuk! It was filthy. It took about 15 minutes of rinsing to get all the dirt out. Have also managed to get another Dyson from Freecycle, so hopefully will be able to use the spares from that to repair mine.

Will update

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now