Talk

Advanced search

OK I know this is always being discussed, but how comes Henry is supposed to be so good when it's only 1200 watts?

(49 Posts)
LittleBellatrixLeBoot Sun 19-Aug-07 22:37:29

Can it really be better than vacuum cleaners with 1900 watts?

Is there any such thing as the perfect vacuum cleaner?

Beauregard Sun 19-Aug-07 22:39:51

I hate Henry,we use one at work and he always rolls over and gets tangled round everything and he has no suction power imo.

LittleBellatrixLeBoot Sun 19-Aug-07 22:58:57

That's the first bad thing I've heard about Henry, was thinking of buying one.

You've put me off now!

LittleBellatrixLeBoot Mon 20-Aug-07 20:30:55

Any other opinions?

LazyLineLegilimens Mon 20-Aug-07 20:35:55

When I was looking at new hoovers though, it wasn't just about the wattage, it was about the "air watts" as well. I think a Henry has 250 air watts which is similar to some Dysons.

However, I think Henry vacuums suck

LazyLineLegilimens Mon 20-Aug-07 20:36:18

The air watts are the sucking power, meant to add.

morningpaper Mon 20-Aug-07 20:40:11

It is SHIT

don't buy it

I RUE THE DAY that dp made me buy a bloody Henry instead of a replacement Meile Cat And Dog when my old Meile died

<cry>

The Henrys are AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL they get tangled, fall over, blow out dust, smell bag, don't have on-board attachments and DON'T SUCK

crapola

morningpaper Mon 20-Aug-07 20:41:07

I had a Meile Cat And Dog for five years and it was like having an exciting affair

<sob>

fcking Henry

LittleBellatrixLeBoot Mon 20-Aug-07 21:05:28

LOL at your obvious distress about the loss of your lover... er I mean vacuum cleaner.

So Miele cat adn dog it is then?

(Does one have to actually have a cat and dog?)

DumbledoresGirl Mon 20-Aug-07 21:07:50

There was a Henry at the holiday cottage we stayed in last week. It was hopeless. I spent far too long trying to hoover up the dog hairs left by the previous occupants. I suppose it is good for holiday homes though because it is simple to use and so presumably hard to break.

I love my Dyson. Sorry, I know others don't agree, but it is far better than the Miele I had before.

soapbox Mon 20-Aug-07 21:28:06

As they say - its not the size its what you do with it that matters

I wouls not spend even a night without my beloved Henry - he always performs excellently for me

LittleBellatrixLeBoot Mon 20-Aug-07 22:48:20

Oh why why why is the search for domestic appliances so fraught with doubt, confusion and contradiction?

Pruners Mon 20-Aug-07 22:50:42

Message withdrawn

LittleBellatrixLeBoot Mon 20-Aug-07 22:55:08

Another vote for Miele.

Hmm.

Pets one?

What about Hoover?

elbarto Mon 20-Aug-07 23:00:22

I HATE HATE HATE Henrys. I used to be a cleaner and was forced to use a Henry, and I bloody hated every minute.
They fall over, get tangled round EVERYTHING, and they have a stupid smiley face.

Many a time I kicked the wretched thing and swore at it (and I was cleaning a prep school too)

My rage knew no bounds. But this thread has ben very cathartic

studentmum1 Mon 20-Aug-07 23:05:18

i love my henry, fabulous little reliable friend!! he's great, sucks everything up so long as your bag is no where near full, so much better than those awful dysons! plus they nw do hetty... a pink henry with eyelashes!! sad i know!!

BabiesEverywhere Mon 20-Aug-07 23:39:04

Another vote for Miele cat and dog, I have just got one to replace our *** Dyson and I love it.

Picks up ALL the cat hair and dirt the Dyson refuse too.

Miele's Rock

hobnob Mon 20-Aug-07 23:43:48

I've had my Henry for 17 years and it's (can't bring myself to call it 'him') absolutely great. But then, maybe I don't know any different and my life would be revolutionised by a Miele.

Clary Mon 20-Aug-07 23:46:18

DG there was a Henry at our holiday cottage too! It was totally useless tho I had to keep using it as we were there for 2 wks and even tho I don't iron on holiday (no really) I do hoover.

We need sthg new I think - can you have a Dyson mended? Cause mine no longer sucks as it did. It's maybe 8 yrs old? SHall I buy a new one and if so what (don't say Henry)

WendyWeber Mon 20-Aug-07 23:47:40

If you don't have pet hair get one of the cheaper Mieles. Mine was c £100 and it is brill.

Which did vacs recently and they recommended all the Mieles they tested. I linked to the results recently, hang on and I'll see if I can find it...

hobnob Mon 20-Aug-07 23:51:13

Miele-people: are they nice and light? I have to admit (reluctantly) that my Henry's a bit of a pain to lug up the stairs.

BabiesEverywhere Mon 20-Aug-07 23:53:10

Compared to the Dyson the Miele Cat And Dog is much lighter and will balance on a step whilst you do the stairs.

WendyWeber Mon 20-Aug-07 23:53:36

Can't find the post with the whole report but the S4210 is v cheap for what it is.

S5210 is a better one (but out of stock)

If you buy a vac from Hughes (recommended - v quick and reliable!) order spare bags at the same time to save on p&p later.

Clary Mon 20-Aug-07 23:54:35

Are we really recommending a cleaner with bags?

hobnob Mon 20-Aug-07 23:56:40

They sound great, WW and BE. Thank you. And I'm discussing vacuum cleaners at midnight: I knew it would be fatal to log on to MN before bed! Night night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now