Talk

Advanced search

Garden Trampolines - if you have one, please come in here and help with my questions!

(18 Posts)
IlanaK Sat 18-Aug-07 18:52:06

We are moving to a house with a small garden thatis layed with patio slabs. We really want a trampoline for my boys (the netted kind), but the smallest I can find is 8 foot. This would take up the whole middle of the small patio so I am wondering this:

1) how easy are they to put up and down? Can we store it and bring it out just sometimes? Is this realistic?

2)How far away from fences/walls do they really need to be? Could we put it at the edge of the patio near a wall or fence?

3) Do children really use them? Would I be better getting something else for the garden like a sand and water tray? My boys are 3 and 6 and very energetic!

4) What about a bouncy castle instead? This can be put away nad got out when needed. But is it as good?

Thanks!!!

elastamum Sat 18-Aug-07 18:55:43

We have a really samll garden with a 12 foot trampoline that takes up 1/2 the lawn. It is the best thing we have bought as kids always out jumping on it. Definately get nets and you can put it near the edge. They are really heavy though so no good if you want to take it down

bambi06 Sat 18-Aug-07 18:56:46

we` ve got an 8 foot as well and netted which means that we do have it closer to fence than if we didnt have enclosure!! i wouldnt recommend taking it down and up as it takes a while to put springs one to and is a real pita.. bu they do love it and certainly keeps them fit..they go on it before school too and let out their frustrations out after school

scienceteacher Sat 18-Aug-07 18:57:42

1) I don't think so. Our trampoline is quite heavy, although easy enough to shift for grass cutting. The individual springs/rods have to be manually set up, so I can't see dismantling a whole trampoline.

2) If it has a net, then as close as you like. You probably need at least 6 inches clearance because there is some give in the net.

3) They love them - best thing we've ever bought.

utterlyconfused Sat 18-Aug-07 18:58:20

1) No.
2) If you had really strong nets (so they didn't "give" at all), I suppose you could, but I wouldn't if there were any other way
3) Yes, absolutely, best thing we ever bought
4) Just not the same.

dinny Sat 18-Aug-07 19:00:46

can I ask how much you pay for an OK one inc net (ish)?

utterlyconfused Sat 18-Aug-07 19:02:48

Well, ours is a 14 foot one, and we wanted a really sturdy one so it was expensive. Got it from Superbounce. We are quite exposed so didn't want one that would disappear at the first breath of wind. About £800 I think.

supertrouper Sat 18-Aug-07 19:03:24

1 and 2 as per other posters
3 - best thing we ever bought, have had so much use out of it already and only had it since July (despite the rain!!)
4 - I think trampoline better as they enclosed so prob bit safer, also probably more durable.

Ours is 8ft and is fine size for our 2 boys, aged 4 and 3.

scienceteacher Sat 18-Aug-07 19:03:36

Ours was about £400

IlanaK Sat 18-Aug-07 19:03:37

Thanks everyone. Thatg was really helpful. The dimensions of the patio seem quite big 17foot by 17 foot, but when we stood in it today, I wondered whether the trampoline would dominate it. But if we can put it nearer to the fence, that would be better. I am also pleased to hear that they get well used. It will be worth it then!

supertrouper Sat 18-Aug-07 19:04:07

ours was £109 from b&q, including net.

MrsScavo Sat 18-Aug-07 19:04:46

Taking a trampolene down is probaby a pita

I think it would be OK near a fence, but not touching- you'd probably want to leave a couple of feet.

My 3 do use the trampolene, especially DS1. It's so lovely to look outside and see him bouncing away in a world of his own.

Personally I wouldnt' go for a bouncy casle.

You can use the trampolene too - just practice your pelvic floor exercises first.

utterlyconfused Sat 18-Aug-07 19:04:47

BUT worth every penny. 2 ds and one dd, we got it when the youngest was 2 or 3 and with the net it is like an outdoor playpen - we don't have an enclosed bit of garden, it's all very open. Now, they're 8,7 and 5 and if they're not bouncing they are either running round in circles seeing who can catch up first, or using it as a stage. It's fab.

dinny Sat 18-Aug-07 19:06:27

is it good quality, Soupertrouper?

LoveMyGirls Sat 18-Aug-07 19:14:05

We've only had ours a few weeks but it is fab. we used to have a bouncy castle but as soon as a cat (NOT OURS - we've never had 1) clawed it and that was the end of that so theyre waste of time and money!

TinyGang Sat 18-Aug-07 19:20:11

We have a 12ft trampoline which we bought in June after much of the same deliberation.

It does take up a huge amount of the garden, but as we already have a big TP frame too I've long ago consigned the garden over to the children.

1. Quite a job to put together according to dh who did it. Not the sort of thing you'd want to be putting up and down all the time. Bit hard re mowing the grass but still possible.

2. Ours has a net and quite a gap around it.

3. Our 3dc have used it very very enthusiastically every single day. Each to his own, but sand is not something I'd ever opt to have in the garden. It always ends up traipsed indoors and the cats would be in it.

4 Bouncy castle - hmm, well they like them at parties and stuff but have never asked for one. Bit of a hassel to keep blowing up I should imagine. Not as hard wearing as a trampoline.

supertrouper Mon 20-Aug-07 23:10:48

Dinny, I think its good quality, but not really seen many others to compare. Net is strong and it is very sturdy, is fine for us.

smeeinit Mon 20-Aug-07 23:22:16

we have had our 12ft one for around 6 years ,before they got popular (and cheap!) i put ours up on my own so not too difficult to put up.they can be taken up and down but will be a bit of a pain!
cant answer your 2nd question as i have an 180ft garden so space isnt a prob!
kids definatly use them! worth their weight in gold!
bouncy castles gr8 (we have one of them 2 for my mindees) but is not going to last aslong as a trampoline,my ds's are 17 and 15 and still use the trampoline!
how about getting a small enclosed trampoline?
something like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now